New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

Deciding between 35i and 35is

Ooops. Mods, please move to the General section.

The wife's '08 M3 is ready to move on to a new owner and it was either another E92 M3 or try something new. We went to our dealer today and she drove a '12 35is. Quite different from the M, but she enjoyed it. Outside was a black, space gray, and orion silver. She wasn't really sold though. Then we walked inside and there was an AW sitting there looking at her. Very, very different look to the car and on my wife's face. Her first Bimmer was a '07 328xi, space gray with saddle interior. Beautiful car. Her M is AW with black interior (kinda boring inside), and now we have a AW with coral red 335. She quickly moved the discussion to another AW with red or should she go with walnut??? Funny how quickly her opinion changed seeing the white Z.

If we were doing another M, the decisions would be easy. But, I know little to nothing about the Zed's options, hence my foolowing questions...

Both will be loaded except I don't care about the wheels. Stock wheels will end up getting winter tires, so 18's are preferred over 19's.

I believe both have the N54 motor, but the 35is is freed up to make 35hp and 32# more than the 35i. But, if I'm going to add an ESS Stage 2 for $995 (which is about 95% certain), I'll end up with the same outputs for both models? So, that's not a reason for the 35is. Does only the 35is have the increased oil/water coolers?

I added the M sport package with 18's ($3,500) to the 35i. Is that the equivalent suspension changes to the 35is? I understand it adds an aero kit, but there are some differences between the two. Both will give me the same M steering wheel (as she has in her M now)? But actually, she likes the paddle shifters of the 2011 MY better, which allow up and downshifting with the same hand. Oh well. Can't have everything. I also added the DCT, as she does not want the third pedal.

I understand there's a different intake and exhaust on the 35is. What am I missing as the reason for the increased price of the 35is?

I priced the two out and there's a $5,100 MSRP difference (we'll be doing another ED, so final difference will be a little less. I can add a new exhaust and DCI (based on reports from 335 M54 owners), plus have some left over for some suspension mods if needed (primarily camber plates for autoX or CCA track days)...

In short, seems like a 35i, add the ESS tune, upgrade intake, maybe upgrade exhaust, and maybe some suspension changes is the way to go (and still cheaper).

And, can anybody pass on the Invoice pricing guide for MY2012? I've heard 13-14% below MSRP, but I'd rather just know the invoice pricing and them offer my CA $500 over. The wife asked, where would you like to go this time...I immediately answered The Ring. I'd love to do a couple laps with the tuned Z (removing the tune prior to dropping it back off).

Thanks folks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
35i w/ MSport
add tune
add DCI
add Exhaust

>35is
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep

Cool. That's what I thought. I can do the mods on the 35i later and still be ahead of the game.

As this is a N54 engine, can folks verify that it WILL come with the extra oil cooler located in the front passenger fender? I will be ordering the M Sport package with 18' wheels. I scrwed this up on our 335 Xdrive and it only has the stock oil cooler and stock oil filter housing, so I have to upgrade the housing to even get to add an oil cooler.

My CA FedEx'd a walnut leather swatch yesterday (got it today) and it's looks remarkably similar to the saddle interior we had on our 2007 328xi. So, we will be doing another ED, but for the 35i in AW and walnut, with aluminum trim (not a fan of the wood).

I'm stocked to be able to do this car as an ED. It's going to be soooo much fun to drive in Europe. And for sure I'll order the ESS tune before we leave, so we can add the tune while we are on our trip.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
09cbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlfbio View Post
Cool. That's what I thought. I can do the mods on the 35i later and still be ahead of the game.

As this is a N54 engine, can folks verify that it WILL come with the extra oil cooler located in the front passenger fender? I will be ordering the M Sport package with 18' wheels. I scrwed this up on our 335 Xdrive and it only has the stock oil cooler and stock oil filter housing, so I have to upgrade the housing to even get to add an oil cooler.

My CA FedEx'd a walnut leather swatch yesterday (got it today) and it's looks remarkably similar to the saddle interior we had on our 2007 328xi. So, we will be doing another ED, but for the 35i in AW and walnut, with aluminum trim (not a fan of the wood).

I'm stocked to be able to do this car as an ED. It's going to be soooo much fun to drive in Europe. And for sure I'll order the ESS tune before we leave, so we can add the tune while we are on our trip.
confirmed.

2024 BMW M2
2022 BMW i4 M50
2011 BMW Z4 sdrive 35i | ESS Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
entrepreneur177
из Кремля
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: Z4 35s, CLS63 AMG

Well, it seems like you figured out everything yourself. I support your 35i choice, AW looks amazing. Do you like 18` BMW Rim desing though? And the RFT... I would just take car with standard wheels and go for aftermarket rims and tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrepreneur177 View Post
Well, it seems like you figured out everything yourself. I support your 35i choice, AW looks amazing. Do you like 18` BMW Rim desing though? And the RFT... I would just take car with standard wheels and go for aftermarket rims and tires.
Nope. Hate the RTFs and not in love with the 18s either. The stock wheels will become winter shoes and the tires will be removed after redelivery and sold as slightly used. Then the aftermarket 19's (or maybe 20's) with summper performance tires will go on til winter temps hit.

I was thinking I needed the M Sport at $3,500 for the adaptive suspension. You made me relook at it and that's not necessary. So it's really just the aerokit, headliner material, carbon aluminum trim (which we really like) and M steering wheel with paddles (other than wheel option) for the extra $1,200. So maybe the M wheel, trim, and aero kit are worth the $1,200???

Thanks for the question. Maybe me pay better attention. And I want to make DAMN sure I get the extra oil coller with this car. We just bought a 2012 335 xDrive with the M Sport with 17's cause I knew the extra oil cooler only came with the Sport package. But, it had to be the Sport with 18's, so I have no extra oil cooler or the upgraded oil filter housing. Gonna cost much more than the $600 bucks the factory charges for the M Sport with 18's. Dang it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
///MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 35iS

Contrary to popular thinking I would think its better to go with the 35iS based on the following
1) Resell value
All the aforesaid mods are nice, but when you sell/trade your car, you will not get any of that added value back, you will most likely have to part it (which is always a hassel) or worse case give the entire thing back to the dealer at almost $0 added value, but if you sell the iS, you get that much more back
2) Performance
If money is not an issue and you put the exact same mods, you will still end up with a faster car due to the intake and cooler.
3)Hassel
I'm not sure about you but buying bumpers, painting them, installing wheels and headliners, all of that means downtime for your car which I'm not too keen about, if you just buy the iS you already have all that on the go.all need to do really is to slap the ESS.

Plus you will always have the pleasure of knowing that you are driving a top of the range car on the inside
Just my 2 cents.
      03-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
BMWM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I'm with mike, i bought the 35is for those reasons.

1. look (Looks more aggressive)
2. resale value (that extra 5k your talking about you will get it back and maybe more due to how rare these cars are when you come to sell it so don't worry)
3. maybe you don't even have to tune it if you don't want to no need for an exhaust and dci, and ess is up to you, you might find your self saying I'm happy with this and no hassle at all
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep

Hmmmm Good points. Makes it more difficult to decide which route. The ESS is a given. I want that extra power during our ED
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you are going to get DCT, might as well get the 35is. Some people prefer 35i so they can get into a 6 speed manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

No, go for the 35i.. I like having the only "s" around these parts. But seriously, 5k is nothing and certainly not worth the annoying 'what if's'.

Side note: doing an ED in a Z4 is simply amazing. When/where are you going? Although, do think about the luggage constraints, particularly if you are traveling with your wife.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
No, go for the 35i.. I like having the only "s" around these parts. But seriously, 5k is nothing and certainly not worth the annoying 'what if's'.

Side note: doing an ED in a Z4 is simply amazing. When/where are you going? Although, do think about the luggage constraints, particularly if you are traveling with your wife.
Hahaha. Pretty funny. I just offered bmwnw $700 over invoice, For the "is", so we'll see. I'd like to do the trip in late May so we could maybe get to enjoy the topless aspect for a bit of August. Our first ED had an 8 week delivery and Ron said it may be closer to 10 weeks now.

I'm actually looking forward to having less room for luggage. I end up dealing with the stress of making sure we get packed up and moved about in time. At least with less crap, she may be a bit faster. Probably not though
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

700 would be good. Paid 1000 over euro invoice for mine.

Sadly redelivery was the lowpoint of the ED.... 13 weeks!

Make sure you take your luggage to the dealer here to try out the trunk, it has some weird angles. I just ended up buying a set of roadster bags, that way I knew whatever we packed in them they would still fit with the top down. The wife still filled up hers and 1/2 of mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
700 would be good. Paid 1000 over euro invoice for mine.

Sadly redelivery was the lowpoint of the ED.... 13 weeks!

Make sure you take your luggage to the dealer here to try out the trunk, it has some weird angles. I just ended up buying a set of roadster bags, that way I knew whatever we packed in them they would still fit with the top down. The wife still filled up hers and 1/2 of mine.
Did you pay full price on the options though? I'm wondering what he'll come back with on that route. $1,100 for Premium, $850 for Cold Weather, another $950 for Premium sound (and then $650 required for BMW assist and bluetooth, I don't know why they don't just say $1,500), $2,150 for Nav, $500 for Comfort Access, and $750 for PDC. There oughta be plenty of wiggle room in there too.

And now, I'm sure the wife is going to want me to look into the luggage option. Was that through BMW? Please tell me they didn't add the ///M logo all over it???
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

We love the bags and use them whenever we travel with the car. They take up every inch of the useable trunk and they are good looking and sturdy.

http://www.roadster-concept.de/

Ya, if i remember correctly the accessories didn't have a euro price but that premium price is a steal.. mine was 2k! PDC? You going to drive it back from there?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep

Park Distance Control not the Performance Delivery Center: As in, honey please don't back into that fire hydrant or hit the car in front of you in the parking lot. It's getting closer, closer, closer, STOPPPPP

We'll do more than enough driving between Munich to Florence, then through Austria that we can pass on the 3,000+ miles through USA speed limits

Thanks for the luggage link.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

oh.. edit that's Premium Sound that you are getting a deal on.. yours $950 mine was 2K.

PDC as in parking sensor got it.

We came down through the passes of Switerland- Como- Amalfi Coast- Florence- Sirmione- back through Austria to drop in Munich. Unbelievable trip, though it's difficult minding the break in. We are already starting to plan our next one in 9/2013.

What dealer are you using?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep

For our first one, we went straight to Florence, then back to Munich via Venice and Innsbruck. We're going to do Florence again (3 days wasn't enough) but haven't really planned the return route. My wife is very much into the arts (even started volunteering at the Bellevue Art Museum), so museums are her thing. I want the driving and scenery. We've seen enough castles in other parts of Europe to last several lifetimes.

There's a small chance I may talk her into eating up three days to head NW of Munich, to this little 1-way, 13- mile toll road there...

We're using Ron Hansen at BMW NW. This will be car #4 that he's helped with and his attitude has always been very kind.

The break in period is tough. It's very appealing to listen to the folks who talk about breaking it in like ya stole it... But I think 2 weeks of driving will allow ample time for safe fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

Hansen, I'll keep him in mind. We actually went through a dealer down in Oregon who specializes in ED but it was kind of a pain. Did you hear back about your offer? I have honestly not seen another "s" up here yet and that alone is worth the premium for me.

Now that's one toll I wouldn't mind paying a couple times over.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep

Ron was off yesterday, but he called me back in his 35i with the top down about 5 pm. The bluetooth sounded pretty good considering he was on I5. I'm recovering from back surgery and been home bound for weeks. I told him he wasn't being very nice and was making me very jealous. He said he'll take the $700 over offer. . He's back in the office Saturday and will work up the final numbers. I'm still not wanting to pay full pop for every upgrade though. I guess we'll see. Maybe get him to buy that luggage set for us????
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

Ha! that would be a nice perk. I got the Grill, painted side markers and antenna (big deal) installed at the dealership for free. He did try to guilt me about the sidemarkers though, said it took over an hour of labor because they had to remove the wheels. If he was fishing for sympathy/tip I wasn't biting.

SO it looks like Z4iS it is... Congrats, I think you'll be happier. I don't know that we have any leverage on the accessories, at least that's that I was told but who knows what's factual in the car biz. SO you want Nav, PDC, Prem Audio, what else?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep

The wife's current car is a loaded E92 M3 (2008), so this will be no less. Not gonna get the BMW apps or the upgraded factory19s. That's also the reason for adding the ESS tune.
I need to read up on the smart top, but will certainly get the wind deflector (probably take it with us to install at the Welt).

She works her butt off, so having a car she loves to be in is very important.
Appreciate 0