New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #23
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill View Post
Just got a '10 Sdrive30i in black on black, and I've gotta say, I love everything BUT the engine. As an 18 year old male, I've got too much testosterone flowing to have such a lack of power. The Nismo 370z that I test drove was much faster, but is still a Nissan at the end of the day. I feel like an ungrateful, self-entitled little #%@$, but I can't help thinking this Anyone else move up from a 30i or 28i to a 35i or 35is?
get a tune, it will get it up to speed with stock 35i

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #24
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheHbKa View Post
get a tune, it will get it up to speed with stock 35i
No it won't. N52 is NA not turbo, you're not going to get much from a tune on an NA engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #25
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

I was going to write what I got for graduation (father is a car nut) but it defeats the points. Enjoy the Z4 and leave it at that. Its your 1st car wont be your last. Simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #26
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
No it won't. N52 is NA not turbo, you're not going to get much from a tune on an NA engine.
you're right, i assumed it was a 28i

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
Vbar
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4 View Post
keepittrill you only have 15% less horsepower than the 35i and I know on the track you will catch a stock 35i by the 3rd lap and make the pass when it is in limp mode. Your bhp power to curb weight ratio is 12.7lb/hp compared to a 35i at 11.65lb/hp. You have a lower Cd at 0.34 compared to 0.35, you brake better with your curb weight advantage of 250 less lbs.
You get the idea......Now the ability of the 35i owner to spend $1000 for a JB4 tuner with integrated meth injection will create a 7lb/bhp beast that the 30i will then need a few more laps to wait for the limp mode to level the playing field.
You have a great car. Enjoy your ride on the street and use the performance on the track or parking lot events.

Only 15 percent? Thats only true if you believe that the n54 puts down 300hp, which it doesn't, it puts down close to 300@wheels. i I have owned a z4 sdrive30 and ended up getting rid of it for the same reason this poster is talking about. The difference in power is huge, especially when your not talking percentages but actually driving the cars back to back. I had the same issue with the sdrive30i, the fact that it was balanced meant nothing to me because for the day or two a year that i did autocross was negated by the fact that i found it to be slow in a straight line compared to a 35i, in day to day driving. Its really hard to compare the two and i would have never bothered looking at a 35i after owning a sdrive30 if it wasnt for a friend offering a test drive. The 35i sounds completely different and much more visceral the DCT and engine changes everything. Limp mode by the third lap? really? The sdrive30i is a great car but very had to compare to the twin turbo models, if saying it will go into limp mode on a track makes you feel better, so be it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
Nik z
Greece
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

Sell it and buy a 370z real sport car and more superior than a z4 ...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #29
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik z View Post
Sell it and buy a 370z real sport car and more superior than a z4 ...
LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #30
Yeggman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 s3.0i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbar View Post
The difference in power is huge, ...

I had the same issue with the sdrive30i, the fact that it was balanced meant nothing to me...

... i found it to be slow in a straight line compared to a 35i, in day to day driving.
I will have to defer to your straight line driving expertise. But if it makes you feel better to find a huge difference in day to day straight line driving when there's less than a second difference in 1/4 mile times at the drag strip, so be it.

Last edited by Yeggman; 04-17-2013 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

I feel like this has turned into an Sdrive30i vs Sdrive35i topic :P and Nik Z, I hope you're being sarcastic. I test drove a nismo 370Z, and I can honestly say it was terrible. Sight lines are terrible and the interior is...well, Nissan-ish. It's blazingly fast in a straight line, though. The salesman was pitching a mid 4 second 0-60, which I can actually believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #32
shashi27
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35is

I bought 30i originally and I feel you pain. It was silky smooth but it lacked grunt. I traded it in when the is came out, took a bath, but never looked back. With the ESS tune the IS has about 400hp and isa monster. It is still a great car so enjoy itin good health!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #33
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi27 View Post
I bought 30i originally and I feel you pain. It was silky smooth but it lacked grunt. I traded it in when the is came out, took a bath, but never looked back. With the ESS tune the IS has about 400hp and isa monster. It is still a great car so enjoy itin good health!
Do you track your car? I'm thinking that I probably shouldn't even care too much about power considering I don't plan on tracking it anyway. And 400hp is amazing!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #34
hyper1
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013, Z4/28

fast car

When the horse is free....don't complain about the saddle.
Enjoy your car as-is.
Powerful car need respect. If you're 18 only, maybe you should as suggested by some members to take a few lessons.
However, go easy on the throttle. Gain a bit more experience before wrapping your car around a tree.
just my opinion.....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #35
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper1 View Post
Enjoy your car as-is.
Powerful car need respect. If you're 18 only, maybe you should as suggested by some members to take a few lessons.
However, go easy on the throttle. Gain a bit more experience before wrapping your car around a tree.
just my opinion.....
True words! I like the horse metaphor haha and there's a PCA class/event here on the 27th, I'm strongly considering going.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #36
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper1
Enjoy your car as-is.
just my opinion.....
I'd have to agree. When I was 16 my first car was a '93 base model camaro. I got to drive my dads vettes a few times so I knew what I was missing. I'd have loved a z28, but looking back, I'm glad I didn't have it. I'd have gotten myself into trouble or hurt. Back then I never thought I'd feel that way, and I'll bet in ten or fifteen years you'll agree. Plus it makes it that much sweeter when you get to buy what you wanted way back when. Now I feel old.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #37
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

I'd have to go with those that suggest you take the vehicle to its limits by autox or going to the track. It may sound counter-intuitive but underpowered cars are more fun because you learn to use every bit of power the car can offer while understanding how it behaves on corners. You reach those limits faster, allowing you to hone your skill and become a better driver overall. At some point, you will feel comfortable enough to move to the next step; the need for more torque around corners= lighter/more power.

But since you don't plan to go to the track, just enjoy the car, or trade it in for a 35i/whatever you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #38
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Do you track your car? I'm thinking that I probably shouldn't even care too much about power considering I don't plan on tracking it anyway. And 400hp is amazing!
the power is more noticeable on the street (esp freeway) than on the track actually.. There aren't enough corners on most public roads for driver skill to make up for HP deficit

Full disclosure.. It does boggle my mind a bit that you are complaining about getting a late model BMW for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #39
Vbar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggman View Post
I will have to defer to your straight line driving expertise. But if it makes you feel better to find a huge difference in day to day straight line driving when there's less than a second difference in 1/4 mile times at the drag strip, so be it.
if you think a 97 mile an hour trap speed is very close and similar to a car that does 104, thats an issue. Thats like me saying a sdrive35 is almost the same as a mustang gt that traps at 109, not the same, one is much faster. I see you do a lot of preaching to other poeple about them not talking sh%4 about other cars, take your own advice because the way you describe it, "might go into limp mode by the third lap" is pretty funny but then that would make you forever in limp mode. I was in no way making fun of a sdrive30 in my previous statements, all i said is a car is much harder to enjoy on a day to day basis if you have to drive it near the limit all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #40
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
the power is more noticeable on the street (esp freeway) than on the track actually.. There aren't enough corners on most public roads for driver skill to make up for HP deficit

Full disclosure.. It does boggle my mind a bit that you are complaining about getting a late model BMW for free.
The car wasn't a surprise. We shopped around for it l. So it's completely my fault that I'm wishing there was a bit more power. I'm not really complaining, but comparing. I'd just like to see the differences you guys feel on a day to day basis in a 35i as opposed to a 30i. If I had been complaining, I would have asked you guys what I should immediately trade the car in for. No, I'm sticking with the car, but still curious as to what you guys think about the power difference. I've heard that the 30i is considered more of a cruiser while the 35i is the real sports car of the two. Just wondering and sharing an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #41
Vbar
Rep

Quote:
The car wasn't a surprise. We shopped around for it l. So it's completely my fault that I'm wishing there was a bit more power. I'm not really complaining, but comparing. I'd just like to see the differences you guys feel on a day to day basis in a 35i as opposed to a 30i. If I had been complaining, I would have asked you guys what I should immediately trade the car in for. No, I'm sticking with the car, but still curious as to what you guys think about the power difference. I've heard that the 30i is considered more of a cruiser while the 35i is the real sports car of the two. Just wondering and sharing an opinion.
I remeber putting it into sport mode sharpened the throttle up a lot and definetely made it more entertaining. If you shift the automatic yourself and keep it in sport mode, the car will def feel faster and more entertaining than it is. Did you ever try that?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #42
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I remeber putting it into sport mode sharpened the throttle up a lot and definetely made it more entertaining. If you shift the automatic yourself and keep it in sport mode, the car will def feel faster and more entertaining than it is. Did you ever try that?
I've actually been doing just that for the past couple of days. Ruins my gas mileage, but hey, it's worth it!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #43
Vbar
Rep

Quote:
I've actually been doing just that for the past couple of days. Ruins my gas mileage, but hey, it's worth it!
Yeah it definitely changes the car a bit. Forget about gas mileage, its a small price to pay, especially if the car cost you nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #44
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
That's the only way to drive this car if it has an automatic, IMO. For street driving, torque is more important than HP. It's the torque that gets you off the line faster.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0