New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #23
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Troll?
Troll? I'm being serious. Japanese cars built in Japan have better reliability than Japanese cars built in America imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post

1) Driver side mirror vibration at highway speeds. Seems like it's a 50/50 chance that people have it. Mine has a slight vibration but I've gotten used to it and it's not that bad.
Just change the resonant frequency of the mirror by attaching something to it. Glue a coin to it, or better yet stick on one of those little dome mirrors.

Nice interior; looks a little BMW-ish.

Looks like a good car- I just wish it had a turbo...and maybe stick available with AWD. I live at high altitude and go even higher to ski. Engines begin to wheeze up here. I'm down about 17% on power at home...closer to 30 by the time I get up the mountain. That brings that 180 hp down to 125-150 when I need power the most without a turbo to compensate. So disappointed when the new RAV4 didn't come with a V6

Last edited by carve; 12-03-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Just change the resonant frequency of the mirror by attaching something to it. Glue a coin to it, or better yet stick on one of those little dome mirrors.

Nice interior; looks a little BMW-ish.

Looks like a good car- I just wish it had a turbo...and maybe stick available with AWD. I live at high altitude and go even higher to ski. Engines begin to wheeze up here. I'm down about 17% on power at home...closer to 30 by the time I get up the mountain. That brings that 180 hp down to 125-150 when I need power the most without a turbo to compensate. So disappointed when the new RAV4 didn't come with a V6
It's more of a wind issue (the side mirrors are pretty large) then a frequency thing. For me it starts around 55-60 and doesn't stop above that speed.

I'd have gotten the Escape 2.0 for the Turbo engine, but the price was a lot more, the Ford dealer wasn't interested in making the sale, and I was wary of the MFT issues, so I got the CX-5. Haven't been disappointed with the power at all. They might be bringing the diesel version to the US (no timetable on that though) so that could be a good choice for you if they do.
      12-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'll bet it'd still work- it's just being pushed by air instead of mechanical contact. The Tacoma Narrows bridge was destroyed based on its resonant frequency in the wind.

The diesel would solve the power/torque/altitude issue, but damn is diesel expensive now! Even with the added efficiency and energy content it's probably more expensive to run.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

I picked up a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech this year for my wife. We absolutely love it. Fantastic car, lots of technology and features (used to driving BMWs). The Adaptive Xenons are a great addition to this price range. We have averaged 29 MPG in the 17k miles we have put on it in the last 10 months.

With our Graco rear facing car seat, we put it in the rear middle to keep from having to move one of the front seats forward. With our Son now in a front facing Recaro, space is great in the front and back seats.

Just mounted Blizzak DM-V1s, driving around in the cold and snow we have gotten here over the last few days, it has been great.

My only quibble is the shaking passenger mirror. At speeds (75mph +) its pretty shaky. I dont use the USB, always use the BT audio.

I have not had any other issues with it, and in my chats with the Service Advisor, they seem to be holding up quite well.

If you have any questions, let me know.
      12-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

Great info.... Thanks. It's between this and the forester xt.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
Troll? I'm being serious. Japanese cars built in Japan have better reliability than Japanese cars built in America imo.
Apologies. I was told and checked on the sticker that mazdas are indeed made in Japan. I hope the 2015 model doesn't have any of the minor quibbles that people talked about with the 2014 models.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
b0bab0i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Apologies. I was told and checked on the sticker that mazdas are indeed made in Japan. I hope the 2015 model doesn't have any of the minor quibbles that people talked about with the 2014 models.
Did you finally decide on a vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #31
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Did you finally decide on a vehicle?
Yeah. We're going with the CX-5. I think that's the best vehicle in our price range right now. We're waiting until Jan-Feb for the 2015 model to come out though.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #32
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

seminole works for mazda... cant trust a word he says.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #33
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
seminole works for mazda... cant trust a word he says.
Hurrr durrr.
      12-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #34
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Hurrr durrr.
Thats exactly what a mazda sales rep would say. Dont play it off like you dont know wassup.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
VRS X5M
Cessna Driver
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe ZCP

Quote:
In your opinion means you aren't representing this as factual in the least bit. How about you back your statement up with facts?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
b0bab0i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS X5M View Post
In your opinion means you aren't representing this as factual in the least bit. How about you back your statement up with facts?
Personal experience owning Japanese cars made in Japan and US.
There is a reason why I wrote IMO. I'm stating from my own experiences.

Can you provide factual evidence that the Japanese vehicles made in US are as reliable as Japanese vehicles made in Japan?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #37
VRS X5M
Cessna Driver
Rep

Quote:
Personal experience owning Japanese cars made in Japan and US.
There is a reason why I wrote IMO. I'm stating from my own experiences.

Can you provide factual evidence that the Japanese vehicles made in US are as reliable as Japanese vehicles made in Japan?
Don't get rhetorical on me, racerboi. There is no evidence to support your claim as being even remotely true except for your own myopic preconception. Many foreign cars are made in America, and are just as reliable and well-built as their overseas-built counterparts. The consumer market would react to an inferior product. Most people don't even know or care where their car is built as long as it's built well. Most final assembly factories are just bolting parts together someone else made anyway.

Toyota manufactures and assembles many of the models sold in your local Toyota showroom right here in the good ole' US of A. Not only do they have one factory here, but they have 6! They're the best selling brand in the world. I don't think that happened by accident or by virtue that their manufacturing process in America is sub-par compared to their operations in Japan. Mazda's daddy, Ford Motor Company, manufactures and assembles a ton of cars here as well...some for export. Still no vast swaths of quality complaints there. Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Honda, and many other brands also assemble cars in America with as good of results as they would in their home country. Assembly of a design is virtually the same no matter if the guy turning the wrench says arigato or thank you when he gets his paycheck.

Closer to home, BMW makes the X6, X5, and X3 in South Carolina. I don't hear any broad complaints from anybody around the world saying that American car is junk compared to it's German-built counterpart. I've toured both the SC factory and the 3-series factory in Munich...there isn't much difference to how either place does business. Same great quality, different continent.

People need to shake these misconceptions that American made means crap. These people are just putting together a puzzle that someone else created most of the time. Blame the manufacturer, not the locality of assembly.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #38
BossSauce
Rep
Drives: 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
Thats exactly what a mazda sales rep would say. Dont play it off like you dont know wassup.

He gets a check from mazda for every person he convinces to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #39
b0bab0i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Don't get rhetorical on me, racerboi. There is no evidence to support your claim as being even remotely true except for your own myopic preconception. Many foreign cars are made in America, and are just as reliable and well-built as their overseas-built counterparts. The consumer market would react to an inferior product. Most people don't even know or care where their car is built as long as it's built well. Most final assembly factories are just bolting parts together someone else made anyway.

Toyota manufactures and assembles many of the models sold in your local Toyota showroom right here in the good ole' US of A. Not only do they have one factory here, but they have 6! They're the best selling brand in the world. I don't think that happened by accident or by virtue that their manufacturing process in America is sub-par compared to their operations in Japan. Mazda's daddy, Ford Motor Company, manufactures and assembles a ton of cars here as well...some for export. Still no vast swaths of quality complaints there. Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Honda, and many other brands also assemble cars in America with as good of results as they would in their home country. Assembly of a design is virtually the same no matter if the guy turning the wrench says arigato or thank you when he gets his paycheck.

Closer to home, BMW makes the X6, X5, and X3 in South Carolina. I don't hear any broad complaints from anybody around the world saying that American car is junk compared to it's German-built counterpart. I've toured both the SC factory and the 3-series factory in Munich...there isn't much difference to how either place does business. Same great quality, different continent.

People need to shake these misconceptions that American made means crap. These people are just putting together a puzzle that someone else created most of the time. Blame the manufacturer, not the locality of assembly.
I understand where you are coming from, but when you have autoworkers in the US smoking pot and drinking alcohol on the job during lunch and breaks, don't you question the US automotive assembly plants? Especially since most of the workers are part of the UAW and after getting fired, get reinstated.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #40
BossSauce
Rep

Quote:
when you have autoworkers in the US smoking pot and drinking alcohol on the job during lunch and breaks, don't you question the US automotive assembly plants?
says the kid who can't spell BOI
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #41
VRS X5M
Cessna Driver
Rep

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, but when you have autoworkers in the US smoking pot and drinking alcohol on the job during lunch and breaks, don't you question the US automotive assembly plants? Especially since most of the workers are part of the UAW and after getting fired, get reinstated.
Yes because only Americans are drinking and/or doing drugs on the job. That never happens anywhere else. You're making a very broad generalization of a huge population of workers that ultimately translates to a small minority. Don't get me started on unions, because that's not what this is about.

Look boi, you're making a terrible argument even worse. You should go tour a a car factory sometime. They are massive operations. Every person has a very specific job. One guy might torque 2 bolts and that's his entire role in the assembly. These days, computers usually are checking his progress and ensuring that bolt is torqued exactly to spec anyway. Or he's snapping in interior pieces, or plugging in things on the dash, filling up the oil reservoir, checking to see if the horn honks and blinkers work, etc. Very simple things that don't require a ton of technical skill and could probably be done by someone on a high dose of LSD. That's just things the robots can't do. The majority of the heavy work is done by robots. Welding body pieces together, painting, even installing the windshield...all done by robots. Robots are faster and more precise. Cars just don't break down like they used to because even the cheapest car is manufactured with greater precision than they ever were.

My point is if these so-called 'derelicts' were really producing an inferior product, more people would be talking about it. But only kiddie keyboard warriors that read 'American sux' on a Honda forum are the ones going around proliferating this garbage. There aren't rocket scientists in Germany assembling your BMW, there aren't Japanese scholars using super secret precision welding on your Civic, and there aren't UAW henchmen smoking crack in your Toyota Tundra while they install the cupholder. Blue collar workers exist in every country of the world, and you can be assured they have their vices just like you and me.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #42
BossSauce
Rep

boeing should just build their planes in japan too
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #43
b0bab0i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossSauce View Post
says the kid who can't spell BOI
Says the grammar Nazi who doesn't use capitalization and punctuation.
It's an internet handle I used in middle school. I stuck with it because it's easier to login to different sites using the same username.

Quote:
Yes because only Americans are drinking and/or doing drugs on the job. That never happens anywhere else. You're making a very broad generalization of a huge population of workers that ultimately translates to a small minority. Don't get me started on unions, because that's not what this is about.

Look boi, you're making a terrible argument even worse. You should go tour a a car factory sometime. They are massive operations. Every person has a very specific job. One guy might torque 2 bolts and that's his entire role in the assembly. These days, computers usually are checking his progress and ensuring that bolt is torqued exactly to spec anyway. Or he's snapping in interior pieces, or plugging in things on the dash, filling up the oil reservoir, checking to see if the horn honks and blinkers work, etc. Very simple things that don't require a ton of technical skill and could probably be done by someone on a high dose of LSD. That's just things the robots can't do. The majority of the heavy work is done by robots. Welding body pieces together, painting, even installing the windshield...all done by robots. Robots are faster and more precise. Cars just don't break down like they used to because even the cheapest car is manufactured with greater precision than they ever were.

My point is if these so-called 'derelicts' were really producing an inferior product, more people would be talking about it. But only kiddie keyboard warriors that read 'American sux' on a Honda forum are the ones going around proliferating this garbage. There aren't rocket scientists in Germany assembling your BMW, there aren't Japanese scholars using super secret precision welding on your Civic, and there aren't UAW henchmen smoking crack in your Toyota Tundra while they install the cupholder. Blue collar workers exist in every country of the world, and you can be assured they have their vices just like you and me.
Well noted, thanks for the insight into Automotive Plants.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #44
BossSauce
Rep

Quote:
It's an internet handle I used in middle school. I stuck with it because it's easier to login to different sites using the same username.
coOooOooOooooOooooL story bro
Appreciate 0