New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i

Bluetooth calling & streaming options for iDrive

I just bought a 2011 Z4 35is. It has iDrive, navigation professional and a button for phone calling on steering wheel. But in the idrive menu, I don't see "phone" option. Neither do I see streaming in "external devices".

Can I enable voice calling at least? I understand streaming requires combox, which is expensive.

what are the alternative iPod adapters that can display track information and control music from iDrive/steering wheel when connected to Android and playing music on something like Google play music, spotify.
Does this one work? Bovee WMA3000B https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-Bluetoo...A2M0TX9WX7YD3U

VIN: E393911
      06-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Look up your car and tell us the production date.

Filippo
      06-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
Look up your car and tell us the production date.

Filippo
2010-07-27
      06-05-2018, 03:37 AM   #4
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
what are the alternative iPod adapters that can display track information and control music from iDrive/steering wheel when connected to Android and playing music on something like Google play music, spotify.
Does this one work? Bovee WMA3000B https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-Bluetoo...A2M0TX9WX7YD3U

I can't help with your streaming problem as far as what you have built-in to your Z, but that Bovee (Tune2Air) is the one I use. Although I don't have iDrive so can't be actually sure as to what will be displayed on your screen. I use it with my Android phone and I don't receive track information on the stereo screen, so I just have my phone on a bracket displaying what I'm listening to (via Android Auto, with AnyAutoAudio for Apple Music to work with it) but my wife's iPhone displays the track name and I'm told that the iDrive screen should as well.

Photo attached of what my phone looks like when it's in the car, old set up using only the AUX input shown on the stereo screen though (it's much better with the Tune2Air now though).

Here's a short video on using it with CIC iDrive.....
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 03:46 AM   #5
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
I can't help with your streaming problem as far as what you have built-in to your Z, but that Bovee (Tune2Air) is the one I use. Although I don't have iDrive so can't be actually sure as to what will be displayed on your screen. I use it with my Android phone and I don't receive track information on the stereo screen, so I just have my phone on a bracket displaying what I'm listening to (via Android Auto, with AnyAutoAudio for Apple Music to work with it) but my wife's iPhone displays the track name and I'm told that the iDrive screen should as well.

Photo attached of what my phone looks like when it's in the car, old set up using only the AUX input shown on the stereo screen though (it's much better with the Tune2Air now though).

Here's a short video on using it with CIC iDrive.....
Thanks. Can you change songs from steering when connected to Android?
      06-05-2018, 04:21 AM   #6
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Can you change songs from steering when connected to Android?
You certainly can, in fact this was the main reason as to why I bought it.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 04:55 AM   #7
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You certainly can, in fact this was the main reason as to why I bought it.
And does it work with apps other than apple music? Spotify? Google play music?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 05:41 AM   #8
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
And does it work with apps other than apple music? Spotify? Google play music?
Anything your phone can play the phone will transmit to the device.
Apple Music,
Amazon Music,
Spotify,
Google Play Music,
Digital Radio (I know you have HD radio there in the US instead of our Digital Radio so I assume you have apps on your phone for the same??),
Soundcloud,
Shazam,
etc

As I say I use the Android Auto app to play everything so it stays lit up on the screen and doesn't go into screen saver like all other apps do.
Not all apps work through Android Auto, but I use AnyAutoAudio to fool the app and play Apple Music through it.
Sat-Nav also works through it as it'll lower your music volume and place the spoken directions over the stereo..... But then if you have iDrive you already have that lol

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:36 AM   #9
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anything your phone can play the phone will transmit to the device.
Apple Music,
Amazon Music,
Spotify,
Google Play Music,
Digital Radio (I know you have HD radio there in the US instead of our Digital Radio so I assume you have apps on your phone for the same??),
Soundcloud,
Shazam,
etc

As I say I use the Android Auto app to play everything so it stays lit up on the screen and doesn't go into screen saver like all other apps do.
Not all apps work through Android Auto, but I use AnyAutoAudio to fool the app and play Apple Music through it.
Sat-Nav also works through it as it'll lower your music volume and place the spoken directions over the stereo..... But then if you have iDrive you already have that lol
Got it.
I ordered one and tried it. Skipping tracks works, but no track info on the screen. And most importantly: audio quality sucks. I'll stick with a better quality APTX HD receiver with no track skipping (for now)

I'm gonna return this.
      06-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #10
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Got it.
I ordered one and tried it. Skipping tracks works, but no track info on the screen. And most importantly: audio quality sucks. I'll stick with a better quality APTX HD receiver with no track skipping (for now)

I'm gonna return this.
Sorry you're having problems bud, but I can honestly say that that mine is spot-on sound quality wise.
Is it definitely showing as an iPod on the screen? And not just an AUX input?

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 01:35 AM   #11
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry you're having problems bud, but I can honestly say that that mine is spot-on sound quality wise.
Is it definitely showing as an iPod on the screen? And not just an AUX input?
Yes as iPod.
Its personal perception. I'm audiophile. If I dont hear quality, I refuse to listen to music lol
      06-06-2018, 01:54 AM   #12
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes as iPod.
Its personal perception. I'm audiophile. If I dont hear quality, I refuse to listen to music lol
In that case you need the all singing-all dancing Harman Kardon 14 speaker set-up complete with the top spec head unit, other than that you aren't going to get top quality, after all it's a car far too many other noises there to spoil it.

At the end of the day you are using a reduced quality sound file over a bluetooth connection and then through a AUX connection (controlled via the USB/iPod connection) to a head unit within a vehicle environment and you expect it to be perfect? That's just not going to happen. And even if you spent top money and got it perfect you wont notice the difference when you're driving down the highway with the roof down and the wind in your hair!!

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #13
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

^^ get's it ^^^
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #14
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In that case you need the all singing-all dancing Harman Kardon 14 speaker set-up complete with the top spec head unit, other than that you aren't going to get top quality, after all it's a car far too many other noises there to spoil it.

At the end of the day you are using a reduced quality sound file over a bluetooth connection and then through a AUX connection (controlled via the USB/iPod connection) to a head unit within a vehicle environment and you expect it to be perfect? That's just not going to happen. And even if you spent top money and got it perfect you wont notice the difference when you're driving down the highway with the roof down and the wind in your hair!!
I do have premium audio package and its just alright. Sound is liveable ever since I ripped apart doors and mats to add more insulation. Problem is these non APTX BT receivers make it sound so much worse, way closer to FM radio. Try putting some songs on USB drive/audio CD and compare the quality vs BT. You'll probably understand why it bothers me.

Ever since the insulation, taking care of other rattles, cabin is very quiet. I did the same to my F30 3-series and its quieter than 5-series and C-class Mercs. Yes, I verified that using SPL meter.
Z4 is getting there. I would post those tutorials if anyone is interested.
      06-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #15
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah. Stock upgraded HiFi (676a) is ok at best. Bluetooth from Bovee is ok. Audiophile ... you're screwed with mediocre equipment in a convertible. I went down this path. You can see it in my build thread (in my signature). Started with a Bavsound Stage 1. That install made me realize how much the amp sucks. Swapped that out, and decided just to fix everything. My car is now completely sound deadened, all speakers changed, two Alpine subs behind the seats. I'm busy reassembling and tuning.

How am I getting sound to the car? APTX HD box with an aux directly into the new DSP. My android has APTXHD, so transmission quality is where it needs to be. It will all be up and running and dsp-tuned in the next few weeks.

Best of luck to you.

Filippo

p.s. only 10/2010 and forward build Z4s have the bluetooth Combox that can do A2DP. But I've not found anyone without iDrive that has figured out how to make it work with the HiFi head unit.
      06-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #16
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. Stock upgraded HiFi (676a) is ok at best. Bluetooth from Bovee is ok. Audiophile ... you're screwed with mediocre equipment in a convertible. I went down this path. You can see it in my build thread (in my signature). Started with a Bavsound Stage 1. That install made me realize how much the amp sucks. Swapped that out, and decided just to fix everything. My car is now completely sound deadened, all speakers changed, two Alpine subs behind the seats. I'm busy reassembling and tuning.

How am I getting sound to the car? APTX HD box with an aux directly into the new DSP. My android has APTXHD, so transmission quality is where it needs to be. It will all be up and running and dsp-tuned in the next few weeks.

Best of luck to you.

Filippo

p.s. only 10/2010 and forward build Z4s have the bluetooth Combox that can do A2DP. But I've not found anyone without iDrive that has figured out how to make it work with the HiFi head unit.
what AptX HD box are you using?
OH wow. That's exactly the path I'm going. Luckily the premium sound HK (S677A "HiFi System Professional DSP") is slightly better than Hifi base so I can live with that amp for a while.

So far I've done:
1. doors and door seals
2. Trunk plastic lid.
3. felt tapes on several rattling sources (still rattles here and there).

Next I'm thinking of:
1. doing roof after I figure out how to remove lining.
2. the area where woofers are mounted vertically (on HK system)

Do you've any posts on your sound deadening process? Or can you list everything you ended up doing?
      06-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #17
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

In my signature is my build thread and build sheet. The build sheet itemizes all the parts, and is publicly visible. The build thread has lots of details on what I am doing - sound, sound deadening, et cetera. My car is going back together right now. I'm wiring in the APTX HD unit, putting back together the rest of the interior, final mounting on the two subs, and finally doing the DSP programming.

The roof headliner is easy to remove. It's held on by plastic snaps like the doors. Just pull firmly and it pops loose.

I don't know much about the 677 system - it has more speakers. I'd be surprised if the quality of the system is that much better - but if it is, that's great.

If you are looking to get to the woofer area on the back separation wall, it's a fair bit of work - not so bad once you've done it (like most things in life). Unfortunately I did not document taking it apart (just a few highlight items in my thread) because I used a thread on the UK z4-forum that walked one through it. Well that thread now has the photos decimated ... another photobucket-like disaster I think. Anyway if you look to take that apart and have questions, I can probably help.

I don't check this forum much (it's pretty dead) and spend my time on spool street, which is where you'll find me build thread. Hit me up there for a faster response.

Filippo
      06-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #18
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my signature is my build thread and build sheet. The build sheet itemizes all the parts, and is publicly visible. The build thread has lots of details on what I am doing - sound, sound deadening, et cetera. My car is going back together right now. I'm wiring in the APTX HD unit, putting back together the rest of the interior, final mounting on the two subs, and finally doing the DSP programming.

The roof headliner is easy to remove. It's held on by plastic snaps like the doors. Just pull firmly and it pops loose.

I don't know much about the 677 system - it has more speakers. I'd be surprised if the quality of the system is that much better - but if it is, that's great.

If you are looking to get to the woofer area on the back separation wall, it's a fair bit of work - not so bad once you've done it (like most things in life). Unfortunately I did not document taking it apart (just a few highlight items in my thread) because I used a thread on the UK z4-forum that walked one through it. Well that thread now has the photos decimated ... another photobucket-like disaster I think. Anyway if you look to take that apart and have questions, I can probably help.

I don't check this forum much (it's pretty dead) and spend my time on spool street, which is where you'll find me build thread. Hit me up there for a faster response.

Filippo
Thanks. I started my own sound deadening and rattle fix thread https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=106899

> The roof headliner is easy to remove. It's held on by plastic snaps like the doors. Just pull firmly and it pops loose.
I did that and the clip broke. Damn! I'm afraid of going any further unless I've those clips. Any idea if I need a tool for that or where I can get those clips?
      06-13-2018, 12:00 AM   #19
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I started my own sound deadening and rattle fix thread https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=106899

> The roof headliner is easy to remove. It's held on by plastic snaps like the doors. Just pull firmly and it pops loose.
I did that and the clip broke. Damn! I'm afraid of going any further unless I've those clips. Any idea if I need a tool for that or where I can get those clips?
I like this kit, but you can find stuff for less money: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the realoem diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=54_0397

And those connectors I suspect are in a "kit". If it is the front panel, my guess it is the first kit: p/n 54377220538 which you can order from anyone that sells BMW parts, like ECS or FCPEuro.

Filippo
      06-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #20
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like this kit, but you can find stuff for less money: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the realoem diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=54_0397

And those connectors I suspect are in a "kit". If it is the front panel, my guess it is the first kit: p/n 54377220538 which you can order from anyone that sells BMW parts, like ECS or FCPEuro.

Filippo
Awesome!. That was very helpful.
      06-19-2018, 12:48 AM   #21
Bstears
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 35I

I too was determined to make my 2011 35i sound really good. I did the Bavsound stage one upgrade and replaced the subwoofers behind the seats with bavsound subwoofers. The stage one upgrade definitely helped, but I wanted more low end bass. So I had a custom enclosure made for my trunk with a JL audio W7 10" subwoofer. It was loud, but took up a lot of room in the trunk and would make the rear deck rattle. My wife made fun of me. In the end, I removed the subwoofer box and it's sitting in my garage. I think the Bavsound subwoofers needed to be broken in, because I feel like they sound much better now. Not amazing, but tolerable. The BEST upgrade I did, after all of this, was purchasing the combox from bimmertech. It allows me to stream bluetooth, including the album art, and allows full function of volume and track up/down. It also allows the USB port to be full function with album art and track up/down. The sound quality is good. I am somewhat of an audiophile as well, and I enjoy streaming Bluetooth from my phone through the combox and playing it on the Bavsound speakers. It's not as good as my burmester sound system in my C class, but being able to drive with the top down makes up for it! Get the Combox. It's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 03:44 AM   #22
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstears View Post
I too was determined to make my 2011 35i sound really good. I did the Bavsound stage one upgrade and replaced the subwoofers behind the seats with bavsound subwoofers. The stage one upgrade definitely helped, but I wanted more low end bass. So I had a custom enclosure made for my trunk with a JL audio W7 10" subwoofer. It was loud, but took up a lot of room in the trunk and would make the rear deck rattle. My wife made fun of me. In the end, I removed the subwoofer box and it's sitting in my garage. I think the Bavsound subwoofers needed to be broken in, because I feel like they sound much better now. Not amazing, but tolerable. The BEST upgrade I did, after all of this, was purchasing the combox from bimmertech. It allows me to stream bluetooth, including the album art, and allows full function of volume and track up/down. It also allows the USB port to be full function with album art and track up/down. The sound quality is good. I am somewhat of an audiophile as well, and I enjoy streaming Bluetooth from my phone through the combox and playing it on the Bavsound speakers. It's not as good as my burmester sound system in my C class, but being able to drive with the top down makes up for it! Get the Combox. It's worth it.
Thanks for the tip. which guide did you follow for combox installation? where did you buy it?