New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #23
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Depends on location.

Used to have front windshield tinted at 20%. Could see out of it fine even at night, but it looked ghetto as fuck. And cops laughed. Never got ticketed though. Once got ticketed for 20% side windows, had to get tint removed, pass inspection, and if desired, re-tinted. 35% side windows would've been non-issue, I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #24
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Never for tint (20%). Usually just for my habit of going full throttle onto on-ramps and those pesky stop-signs that come out of nowhere.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #25
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
If you're wanting dark tint, but not wanting to be pulled over then going with the darkest tint you can legally have in your state is the way to go.

However, If you're asking other people on the boards at what % window tint they've noticed cops pulling them over for then that's going to drastically change upon where you're located.

Example: I'm from Oklahoma and have had 5% tint on my cars as well as 50% tint on the entire windshield and I've never been pulled over for tint. Same thing applies in Texas, I, nor my friends, have ever been pulled over for tint with those window % mentioned above.

Fast forward to now, I've lived in Los Angeles for the past 2 years, and within the first 6 months of living here, I was pulled over for my tint.

To answer your question, it's completely relevant to where you live. You may get more relevant and accurate answers if you posted in the Regional Section on the forum in/around your city.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 02-17-2018 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #26
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

To be honest, it all depends on cop and city/state.
I would say anything below 18% all around.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Tints look cool from outside but make the inside of your vehicles feel like a cave. It's even worse with black leather. Then to add to that you have the cops on your case?

I'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #28
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Anything below 20 percent. If I see a cop waiting in some spot ahead of me, i roll my windows down.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #29
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Don't drive like an ass and you're likely to have less problems....if you get stopped be polite.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #30
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Don't drive like an ass and you're likely to have less problems....if you get stopped be polite.
Makes a huge difference.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #31
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Makes a huge difference.
So my advice based on 30+ years of LEO experience I can tell you that yes sir no sir goes a long way.......if you have a bumper sticker that says "question authority", good for you. Here's your coupon.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #32
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
So my advice based on 30+ years of LEO experience I can tell you that yes sir no sir goes a long way.......if you have a bumper sticker that says "question authority", good for you. Here's your coupon.
While in college I did an internship with both the campus PD and a local town PD for class credit one semester. I learned so much from that experience. There are assholes in every business, but most police officers are outstanding people trying to make a difference who just want to go home at the end of the day. With the town PD, most of the traffic stops they gave warnings unless the person was being a real douche bag or was doing something really illegal.

Appreciate 0