New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z 35i

Took on an E92 M3

I always wanted to see what a tuned Z with Cobb OTS tune could do against a V8 M3.

Beautiful Austin weather, so I decided to do a cruise with top down. Detoured into the Domain and we both saw each other at a 4 way stop. He went straight through and revved as he passed in front of me. I was going to cruise the main street through the Domain but decide to swing a right behind him. At the red light, put my top up and got ready to play. Switched to Sport and flipped to S. Light turns green and we are both on an empty stretch and I got right next to him cruising around 40. I looked over and his passenger seemed overly too excited for what is about to happen. I hear him step on it and I did the same, I went on to put at least a car ahead of him before coming to a stop light. I looked over and he looked a bit surprised. I gave it a little rev so he knows I wasn't stock. Light turns green and we both take off, I can hear and see that I am losing traction for a few seconds (the lost traction light came on). This time I put I don't know how many cars on him and just proceeded to go home because he decided to back off.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get an M3 because of the V8 sound and it's just a beautiful car. Overall I am happy with the Z and the Cobb OTS tune I have on it now. Maybe I need to head to Plano to get that custom tune and dyno to see how much hp I have now.

Last edited by DKZTT; 10-20-2014 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: misspelled words
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

That's the interesting thing with turbo's, the power goes down so fast that you lose grip. With NA, there's so little power low down that they shine at high rams instead. Quite different routes to put power down.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, with the OTS tune I should be somewhere near a stock M3, I'm just basing this off the torque read from the AP3 (highest I've seen is ~500+ ft tq), not sure horsepower wise. Looking at Bob's http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936224 dyno results on Stage 1 @ 407.5 HP and 490.9 ft lbs is impressive, considering he only upgraded the FMIC

I never could put the power down without losing traction, that's why I was interested in getting a LSD upgrade to the factory diff. With about the same HP, but difference in overall weight E92 @ 3482 vs E89 3241, plus he had a passenger, about ~400 lbs weight difference (guessing passenger adds another 150), maybe that's why I was able to put a few cars at a stop. I would love to run it against an M3 again.
      10-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

You should look into the e90 post, n54 section. Wedgeperformance can now tune IS w/Cobb with overboost! Once I get my dps ill be giving them a call.

Also there's a post about launching with dct thats pretty interesting.

Nice kill story!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, didn't use launch control...I think I would spin too much. With my foot I can control the throttle a bit, let off if it spins too much and floor it again once I get traction. The Cobb tune essentially is the "overboost" you are referring to. It's just the boost is there throughout the rpm range, not just at the top end. The Cobb OTS tune is the stage 2+ linear throttle aggressive so the power is almost instant (that's why I spin so much) and it's there throughout the rpm range. Push of the pedal and throttle response is nearly the same.

Wedge is a bit far for me, almost 7 hrs drive vs Cobb Tuning in Plano 3 hrs.
Cobb headquarters is here in Austin, but they won't do a custom tune...that's crazy, but it is what it is. Just have to suck it up and drive up to Plano.
      10-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Nice kill, sounds like a commercial for Cobbs lol. Btw, why did you put your top up before running it?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKZTT View Post
Yeah, didn't use launch control...I think I would spin too much. With my foot I can control the throttle a bit, let off if it spins too much and floor it again once I get traction. The Cobb tune essentially is the "overboost" you are referring to. It's just the boost is there throughout the rpm range, not just at the top end. The Cobb OTS tune is the stage 2+ linear throttle aggressive so the power is almost instant (that's why I spin so much) and it's there throughout the rpm range. Push of the pedal and throttle response is nearly the same.

Wedge is a bit far for me, almost 7 hrs drive vs Cobb Tuning in Plano 3 hrs.
Cobb headquarters is here in Austin, but they won't do a custom tune...that's crazy, but it is what it is. Just have to suck it up and drive up to Plano.
No my friend. They just figured out how to tune the overboost function. So imagine what you have now, ots from Cobb, make the power smoother and ON TOP OF THAT POWER add overboost. They are the only tuner to do this.

Read the this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048190

They take the ots maps, improve them for power + smoothness and extra bonus for IS models is overboost for additional tq!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
They take the ots maps, improve them for power + smoothness and extra bonus for IS models is overboost for additional tq!
I was wrong on the overboost. So far from what I read from others has been positive reviews. I just realized I may be looking at the wrong WedgePerformance. There is WedgePerformance out of Baton Rouge, LA. WedgePerformance on the forums is in Portland and BuraQ somewhere in FL.

Last edited by DKZTT; 10-21-2014 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
jts1981
Captain
Rep

DKZTT, It's definitely a game changer. From one of their replies on that thread it looked like 400+whp and 500wtq w/ E50-E60 fuel.

Also some where on the thread they mentioned teaching members how to tune their maps.

From all the reviews they seen solid, and have a few 11 second cars under their belt.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I'm wondering what can't beat a v8 m3 in the straight?
Appreciate 0