New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

E89 Coding

I just a K+DCAN OBDII/usb cable and installed all the necessary software for coding. Has anyone done any coding to the e89? Which options did you enable? Did you do it your self or did you have someone remote coding it? Thanks in advance.
      12-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
I've never coded the car so I too am interested in hearing about this.
      12-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Alright, i'll give it a go this weekend. I'll try to get the digital speedo, i have remote open roof but i'll also try to code remote close, remote fold mirrors, increase the top opening speed to 40km/h, enable all comfort access features and see what else i can do.
      12-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
Alright, i'll give it a go this weekend. I'll try to get the digital speedo, i have remote open roof but i'll also try to code remote close, remote fold mirrors, increase the top opening speed to 40km/h, enable all comfort access features and see what else i can do.
if you get it to work please let me know where you got the software and steps you took. So far I have just been in fail mode and I think it has to do with the version of software or how I have it installed on my laptop.
      12-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
airmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW Z4,'14 BMW X3, '17 X1

How do you get the software and cable? Total cost? I have a list of coding I would like to do actually.

Video In Motion
- Windshield Wipers complete full cycle when ignition is shut off
- Remove iDrive [ACCEPT] screen
- Remove Seatbelt warning gongs
- Unlock doors when key is ejected
- Open/Close windows with Key FOB
- Allow windows to continue rolling up while door is open

TO name a few
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Constant could you please check on whether you can change the way the radiator fan is run, or the temperature that the oil cooler thermostat opens?

Are you able to see stuff like whether there is a launch control counter or other counters?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
if you get it to work please let me know where you got the software and steps you took. So far I have just been in fail mode and I think it has to do with the version of software or how I have it installed on my laptop.
I found the software using google from coding sites before i got the cable but the person who sold me the cable also sent me a software suite ready for coding the car and with drivers for the cable . I'll let you know how it goea. Hopefully i will have some time this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmarc View Post
How do you get the software and cable? Total cost?
I actually was reading some German forum (using google translate) and found a recommendation about this ebay seller.
It was 80usd and he ships free. I can get you his website or his ebay account link if you want, but i'd wait to see if mine is actually working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Constant could you please check on whether you can change the way the radiator fan is run, or the temperature that the oil cooler thermostat opens?

Are you able to see stuff like whether there is a launch control counter or other counters?
About the radiator, yes, BMS JB4 as example makes it run 100%. About the thermostat, Im sure you can make it run 100% duty and for longer but it would be beyond our technical capabilities. About the launch control there isnt such thing as a counter, its only that BMW techs can see if you launched your car hard if they are really
REALLY looking for it.

Random edit: In the German forum i was reading this one guy successfully flashed the 35is ROM On a 2009 35i.

Last edited by Constant.S; 12-12-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

The mainly reason i got the cable actually is to read/diagnose/erase codes, replacing brake pads etc on my own and to code a replacement battery when needed.
      12-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Ichiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Hi Constant

I'm keen to see what you do. I've never known about this coding stuff and only spent some time researching it today after first reading your post.

Seems like it can customize a few things on your car, which is pretty cool. Be careful though as a few threads warned about making your car toast if you did something wrong.

Looking forward to you sharing your discoveries.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
About the radiator, yes, BMS JB4 as example makes it run 100%. About the thermostat, Im sure you can make it run 100% duty and for longer but it would be beyond our technical capabilities. About the launch control there isnt such thing as a counter, its only that BMW techs can see if you launched your car hard if they are really
REALLY looking for it.

Random edit: In the German forum i was reading this one guy successfully flashed the 35is ROM On a 2009 35i.
WHOA. so the overboost functioning, higher boost targets.. etc from the 35is ROM? amazing. would that be detected as OEM by the dealer

Any insights on how techs can "really REALLY" find out about launching hard?

This is exciting. thanks for leading the way. Good luck and be careful!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
Hi Constant

I'm keen to see what you do. I've never known about this coding stuff and only spent some time researching it today after first reading your post.

Seems like it can customize a few things on your car, which is pretty cool. Be careful though as a few threads warned about making your car toast if you did something wrong.

Looking forward to you sharing your discoveries.
Thanks, others on the e90 side of the forums make it seem very straightforward. If things get tough i'll just hire a remote coder with teamviewer to help me out.
      12-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
WHOA. so the overboost functioning, higher boost targets.. etc from the 35is ROM? amazing. would that be detected as OEM by the dealer

Any insights on how techs can "really REALLY" find out about launching hard?

This is exciting. thanks for leading the way. Good luck and be careful!
Lol no, the dealer hooks up your car, it scans the VIN and then it reads/applies the appropriate rom. Even if he doesnt pay attention to the rom installed it will get overwritten with an update as some point

Well, when i was trying to figure out the launch control i was doing some hard breaking while stepping on it, on the visit the tech asked me if there was an error with the braking system or was i trying to get launch control enabled lol, while he was saying it he looked at the "logs" and saw it was LC somehow.
Thanks, if i see things are hard i'll just hire a coder.
      12-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

As far as I know the BMWhat App is capable of coding some things, I posted a thread lately about it:

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917372
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Constant, are you running NCS Expert? Where did you find coding examples for E89? Is the coding the same for all N54 engines?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Constant, are you running NCS Expert? Where did you find coding examples for E89? Is the coding the same for all N54 engines?
Yes, i have NCSexpert along with some other software for Navi coding etc. The coding for the E89 is same for the rest of the family it belongs. Check out chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coding@DetailAddict View Post
Wonder why you can't find E92 or E90?
Follow this guide to know which family to select:

Attached is a complete DIY file. It might seem very very long but it's actually pretty straightforward
Attached Images
File Type: pdf NCS_DIY.pdf (1.80 MB, 1555 views)

Last edited by Constant.S; 12-13-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
wmandra
Track Addict
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i, 2014 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo85 View Post
As far as I know the BMWhat App is capable of coding some things, I posted a thread lately about it:

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917372
Tried using this on my E89 tonight with the iPhone app. although it listed modules as being available for coding, it just went into a loop of reading and saving the data and never gave me a screen to change the settings. I sent the developer a log, so maybe he can point me in the right direction.
Driver, Ratchet Head Racing #93 BMW Z4
Club Organizer, Garden State Euros Motorsport Division
2014 Glacier Silver Z4 28i M Sport - See the build thread: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950367
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
wmandra
Track Addict
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i, 2014 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmandra View Post
Tried using this on my E89 tonight with the iPhone app. although it listed modules as being available for coding, it just went into a loop of reading and saving the data and never gave me a screen to change the settings. I sent the developer a log, so maybe he can point me in the right direction.
Figured out the problem... JB4 needs to be disabled (map 0) for BMWhat to successfully communicate with the modules.

Confirmed coded on E89:

CAS: Comfort fold/unfold mirrors
FRM: Comfort fold/unfold mirrors
FRM: Hazard lights double flash
KOMBI: Digital speedometer
KOMBI: Digital speedometer correction
KOMBI: Speedometer correction
KOMBI: Permanent speedometer lighting
KOMBI: Ignition key warning
Driver, Ratchet Head Racing #93 BMW Z4
Club Organizer, Garden State Euros Motorsport Division
2014 Glacier Silver Z4 28i M Sport - See the build thread: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950367
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #18
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Interesting find... Taken from a German forum and translated.. : To increase the speed, closing / opening the roof to 40 km / h that the controller ZCTM be called with NCS Expert and GESCHWINDIGKEIT_E89 of wert_03 be changed to wert_04.
So basically to increase the opening speed of the roof like the newer models just use NCS Expert, go to the ZCTM module and replace the wert_03 to wert_04
      12-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
A friend of mine coded a bunch of things on my car. Digital speedo, remove iDrive nag screens, change the emergency blinker, fold mirrors with fob and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember right now. From what I remember the car shut down a few times during coding. This appears to be normal, so don't freak out. Some setting changes seem to require a reboot of the car so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I'm really interested in this. All u really want to do is get the side mirrors to fold and unfold when I use comfort access (which I found is coded the same way as for the key fob). That and installing an aux jack in my 525 and coding an aux selection for it in idrive. Gonna wait till it gets a little warmer tho.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Interesting find... Taken from a German forum and translated.. : To increase the speed, closing / opening the roof to 40 km / h that the controller ZCTM be called with NCS Expert and GESCHWINDIGKEIT_E89 of wert_03 be changed to wert_04.
So basically to increase the opening speed of the roof like the newer models just use NCS Expert, go to the ZCTM module and replace the wert_03 to wert_04
I would only caution that although this coding sounds easy enough and it will probably work for a period of time if you don't push the limit. However, if you check OEM you will find a new pump and lines on the later models. Probably to support the higher pressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
I would only caution that although this coding sounds easy enough and it will probably work for a period of time if you don't push the limit. However, if you check OEM you will find a new pump and lines on the later models. Probably to support the higher pressure.
The new pump is not stronger in any way, it's just to future proof the car because some roofs had problems, they did the same with the HPFP and also with the latest injectors. The option to increase the speed was already there in the module, if the pump couldnt handle it the option wouldnt exist by BMW. It's not like we're rewritting the ECU with new parameters...

Now, for the BMWhat people, i sent an email to ivini-apps to ask some basic things and told them about the roof opening option location and Parvis replied and told me he will implement it next year. So you guys will be covered as well