New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #23
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I can't imagine most people have any Idea the weight of the top. Let alone the affect it has on the handling.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #24
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I'm curious, is the usually heavier aspect of a metal roof the only -ive for ragtop purists, i.e. if they could make a metal roof that is < or = to the rag in wt, would there be unanimous support for the metal? I suppose some ppl would argue smaller trunk space and possibly more complex parts, but I assume the wt is the main argument for ragtop lovers?
Well, I'm not a "ragtop purist" but I would say that all the points you mention count equally against retractable hardtops. Additionally, the weight is up high, just where you don't want it and they tend to be more prone to misadjustment than ragtops. Also, anyone who's owned a late model Miata knows the joy of throwing up or down its well-designed top with a flick of the wrist in a fraction of the time it takes to do the same on a Z4. And finally, I take issue with your remark that "that RF(T) is way better looking (on the ND Miata) and just better than the rag one. Simply improves the whole car." The jury is out on how popular this variant will be as it was a compromise design for Mazda. The shortened length of the ND meant there was no way they could design a PRHT like the older model and not have it eat up the entire trunk. The RFT is a targa design that, to my mind, looks a bit awkward and creates wind noise when it's "down".
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 02:37 AM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Well, I'm not a "ragtop purist" but I would say that all the points you mention count equally against retractable hardtops. Additionally, the weight is up high, just where you don't want it and they tend to be more prone to misadjustment than ragtops. Also, anyone who's owned a late model Miata knows the joy of throwing up or down its well-designed top with a flick of the wrist in a fraction of the time it takes to do the same on a Z4. And finally, I take issue with your remark that "that RF(T) is way better looking (on the ND Miata) and just better than the rag one. Simply improves the whole car." The jury is out on how popular this variant will be as it was a compromise design for Mazda. The shortened length of the ND meant there was no way they could design a PRHT like the older model and not have it eat up the entire trunk. The RFT is a targa design that, to my mind, looks a bit awkward and creates wind noise when it's "down".
So, the wt's the main issue, and how much more really? If carmakers can make it close or even lighter than a rag, then the whole argument for rags can then be discarded. At least can ppl agree that the metal roof generally looks better than a rag?

I'd be interest to see a poll, I'm sure more ppl think that the RF looks better than the ragged Miata.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 06:06 AM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hope the lack of metal folding top makes it a 3000lb boxster competitor again!

I'm kinda more interested in the fixed roof Supra, to be honest, under the assumption it is lighter due to no top
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 11:43 PM   #27
PennBruce
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 sDrive28i

I don't see it as being better looking that the soft top. It is a striking looking coupe.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I'd be interest to see a poll, I'm sure more ppl think that the RF looks better than the ragged Miata.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 02:45 AM   #28
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoven View Post
will never buy a soft top!

well, unless it's an exotic
nissan murano rag top cabriolet
      02-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #29
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

I know the camo dilutes the curves of the vehicle but usually upon inspection as its moving you can get the just of what the curves of the vehicle look like. well unless they did a superior job on the camo then im not impressed with this version. Might as well own a miata or something. The lines seem like they are gone.

Hopefully waiting to see im wrong.
      02-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #30
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Hope the lack of metal folding top makes it a 3000lb boxster competitor again!

I'm kinda more interested in the fixed roof Supra, to be honest, under the assumption it is lighter due to no top
I bet the difference between the hard top and the rag top it more like 30 pounds (maybe a bit more but not likely) Im not that concerned with the added extra weight. If you really were talking 50 100 pounds then i get it but you have to consider the metal cage it most of the weight. on the hard top they are aluminum if my memory serve me correctly which is a lot less wight than steel.

I owned an E85 as well as the E89 and the difference in weight from the top seems minimal
      02-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #31
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
I bet the difference between the hard top and the rag top it more like 30 pounds (maybe a bit more but not likely) Im not that concerned with the added extra weight. If you really were talking 50 100 pounds then i get it but you have to consider the metal cage it most of the weight. on the hard top they are aluminum if my memory serve me correctly which is a lot less wight than steel.

I owned an E85 as well as the E89 and the difference in weight from the top seems minimal
The NC Miata retractable hardtop (2007-2013) was praised as one of the lightest designs ever produced and it added 80# to the car's curb weight. So my guess is we're talking close to 100# on the E89.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #32
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
The NC Miata retractable hardtop (2007-2013) was praised as one of the lightest designs ever produced and it added 80# to the car's curb weight. So my guess is we're talking close to 100# on the E89.
Im only talking about non common parts. Like for instance. Both ragtop and hard top have glass window, support connecting rods, motors, actuators, cabling, latches, hoses, fluid etc.. So Im not counting those parts. I suppose if you did add those part then yes you are right i would agree 100 lbs would be correct. I was merely talking the skin, the interior panels etc. To your point there is the trunk lifting mechanism so that would have to be added to it. After doing a comparison from a while back on a cut away diagram i was pretty impressed how few parts that the E85 and the E89 really were not in common. It wouldnt surprise me if it were more and i am totally guessing based on what i know similar parts like these weight from years of experience. I would bet that the total weight of every part that controls the top including the top itself weighs about 100lbs. maybe a little more but not much. Does anyone have the exact weight of all the hard top parts for the E89 and the E85? I would be curious the actual diff.