New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Are Porsches reliable?

Thinking about getting a used Cayman S and was wondering if Porsches are reliable. I read somewhere that Porsche is one of the most reliable brands but would like actual opinions. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #2
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Porsche is surprisingly reliable and I'm considering a Cayman or a 996 in the near future. The only thing I recall being a real issue with a 996 were the IMSB's going bad and were somewhat notorious for going bad, however I don't think this transferred over to the 3.4L in the Cayman.

The only real issue I've heard of in Caymans are oil ingestion and oil starvation and the engines will go from connecting rod bolts. The design causes them to expand over time and end up snapping, so if it's going to be tracked, I'm pretty sure there are companies that have aftermarket, but you need to take the whole motor out if I'm not mistaken.

I think if you just use it as a street car you'll be fine, but if you abuse it, I'd expect some money being dropped into the motor relatively quickly.

If you go over to planet-9, there's a ton of info. A little bit too much to take in at one time.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Porsche is surprisingly reliable and I'm considering a Cayman or a 996 in the near future. The only thing I recall being a real issue with a 996 were the IMSB's going bad and were somewhat notorious for going bad, however I don't think this transferred over to the 3.4L in the Cayman.

The only real issue I've heard of in Caymans are oil ingestion and oil starvation and the engines will go from connecting rod bolts. The design causes them to expand over time and end up snapping, so if it's going to be tracked, I'm pretty sure there are companies that have aftermarket, but you need to take the whole motor out if I'm not mistaken.

I think if you just use it as a street car you'll be fine, but if you abuse it, I'd expect some money being dropped into the motor relatively quickly.

If you go over to planet-9, there's a ton of info. A little bit too much to take in at one time.
      04-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

In similar fashion to BMWs, they are very reliable for 90% of owners. However, you definitely do not want to be in the bottom 10% as repairs can be seriously expensive if something does fail.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
In similar fashion to BMWs, they are very reliable for 90% of owners. However, you definitely do not want to be in the bottom 10% as repairs can be seriously expensive if something does fail.
you must be talking about the good ol' days of bmw before they moved to a more mass produced less exclusive target audience. *snicker
      04-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I know people get tired of hearing this, but I say to always make sure you buy a car with a warranty and you won't have to worry about them being reliable or not. Of course, if you're buying an older one which has high miles and no warranty left, then you might want to get a pre-owned inspection. And make sure the car you're buying has full service history. Then just put money aside each and every month for possible repairs down the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
you must be talking about the good ol' days of bmw before they moved to a more mass produced less exclusive target audience. *snicker
Sadly that seems to be the case. My 4 year old 1er has been in the shop more in the 2 years I've owned it than even my 20 year old RX7 turbo was over 6 years. That's not a good sign.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post

I was on there and read a few things. Overall it looked to be reliable (confirmed what I read in an article). With that said, there are some issues like alternator, oil, tires wearing too quickly, etc. I think those may be the minority but from what you said, it sounds like it could be pricey. The whole reason I am looking into Porsche is that I expect them to be more reliable h
Than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

There's gotta be a reasons why 90% of the cars you see at HPDE events are either BMW or Porsche. Sure, the "performance" matters, but I think reliability does just as much, if not more. Cars like Evo, STi, or Merc? Oh forget it.. we start betting on those.

I have rarely seen modern, relatively-stock Porsches fail at the track. And I also have a '98 Boxster with 140k miles without IMSB upgrade that has given me zero mechanical problems. By far the most reliable car compared to my several other BMWs, Hondas, Toyotas, Volvo, Mitsubishi, etc. But then again, I'm only 1 data point, so YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I was on there and read a few things. Overall it looked to be reliable (confirmed what I read in an article). With that said, there are some issues like alternator, oil, tires wearing too quickly, etc. I think those may be the minority but from what you said, it sounds like it could be pricey. The whole reason I am looking into Porsche is that I expect them to be more reliable h
Than BMW.
They are reliable, but reliability is a statement of ownership. If you're tracking the car, wearable components are just that, wearable, and with some of the internal components having stress factors, this is where the big money sits with repairs on P car motors. What you listed are a few things people have had issues with, but lets be honest, they are consistent issues with other cars too.

I'd just make sure you have history logs from any previous owner and find out what the car was used for, especially being a P car. If it was someone using it as a weekend car, I'm sure you'll be just fine, but if it was used for other purposes, I'd be much more leery.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

I had a non S Cayman. Zero issues with it other than it had no legs at all. Glad to hear you are looking at an S. Car handles great but to be honest I would look at a used 997. Just a personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #12
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I know people get tired of hearing this, but I say to always make sure you buy a car with a warranty and you won't have to worry about them being reliable or not. Of course, if you're buying an older one which has high miles and no warranty left, then you might want to get a pre-owned inspection. And make sure the car you're buying has full service history. Then just put money aside each and every month for possible repairs down the road.
Sorry... For the most part, Extended Warranties are for suckers: http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clar...er-vehi/nCKZt/

I have a vehicle that is one of if not THE most NOTORIOUS for foking up out of warranty! Guess what? I'm out of factory warranty... And it has! BUT... My out of pocket cost for repairs was FAR less than ANY available extended warranty out there! Here's a breakdown: The absolute cheapest for my car was @ $5k. I have spent maybe a grand on repairs. Now I will say that initially, I paid out of pocket $2k for injectors. But BMW reimbursed me under a specific Customer Campaign. Lucky? Maybe. But even then I would be MUCH better off than the initial $5k!
And before my F01 I owned two e65 7 Series. Both had factory warranty initially but that ran out and I ended up spending @ $1,400 on one and $2,500 on the other for timing chain. Guess what? The extended warranties were $4k had I bought them. But instead I pay from my own savings should the need ever arise. Also, I don't believe in buying high-end cars brand new. Meaning any car that has a MSRP over say $75k, I'm buying pre-owned all day every day! No way am I taking that 20-30% depreciation hit that continues each year. Fok that! I wait @ 2-3yrs and save @ $25k-$50k (as I have several times) and have a ultra clean, low mileage well pampered car that I own (keyword) and can turn around and sell at a profit (depreciation adjusted) and grab another $100k car until I'm ready for the next.
Not saying everyone should follow my example, but it damn sure works for me. I too am considering a gently used, low mileage 997 and will save tens of thousands in the process.

Oh and good luck OP. I think you'll be just fine.
      04-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #13
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Here's the article from above:

Quote:
Why extended auto warranties should make you think twice...

I saw a recent article in Real Simple magazine about these third-party extended warranties that are often pushed by robocall and by letter.

The typical selling price on an auto repair service plan is up to $3,000 (that is actually VERY conservative on high-end vehicles!) For that money, you supposedly have the peace of mind to use the service plan for repairs when your car breaks down.

But guess what? The contract for that supposedly "bumper to bumper" coverage has so many loopholes that it's almost impossible to get any repairs covered!

"The sellers often cite loopholes in the contract (ones you would never be able to discern) to avoid paying up, then void the document, leaving you in the lurch," the magazine reports.

If you are worried about extreme out-of-pocket expenses from repair bills for old cars, I recommend you buy the manufacturer's own extended warranty. Do not buy one from the dealer, though, because those are often third party too. Be sure it is the manufacturer's own.

However, if you buy a reliable brand and follow the maintenance schedule, you're likely to extend the life of a car anyway and not have to incur big repair bills. I recommend that you stick to used cars on Consumer Reports' recommended list *and* have it inspected by an independent mechanic of your choice as a condition of purchase.

Will you ever use that warranty?

Speaking of Consumer Reports, the magazine dug deep into the experience of extended auto warranty owners to reveal some surprising stats:

55% of people who bought an extended warranty never used it.
Of the 45% who did use it, on average, they spent more on the warranty than it paid for repairs.

Wow. Talk about a losing bet! Here's the thing though. If you don't buy a warranty, what do you do if you really couldn't come up with the money to pay for a repair?

Let me suggest this compromise: Instead of rolling the extended warranty into the financing of a car, be disciplined and put that same amount of money every month into a savings account. You would be better off that way, but again, it depends on your discipline to save the money *before* you need it.
      04-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep
Drives: 121

More reliable than any other car out there. They built with quality
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Thinking about getting a used Cayman S and was wondering if Porsches are reliable. I read somewhere that Porsche is one of the most reliable brands but would like actual opinions. TIA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Sadly that seems to be the case. My 4 year old 1er has been in the shop more in the 2 years I've owned it than even my 20 year old RX7 turbo was over 6 years. That's not a good sign.
in fairness, bmw has one of the best warranties imo. i'm sure they work it into the price so you still pay for it but it sure does feel good to go in and know you're not paying for anything (even a wiper blade) when you leave. obviously, extended or cpo does not include that.

within the first few months of owning a porsche, i brought it in for scheduled maintenance and had to pay a few hundred just for the oil change.

long story short, they all get their money one way or another so people should just get what they enjoy.

since i drive more for fun than necessity; if ppl are looking at reliability because they don't want to get stuck on the side of the road then that's a different story. the question should be about companies like AAA, always bring a fallout bag, and maybe have more than one car.
      04-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #16
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep

I owned a used boxter S(RS60) and never had an issue while owning for 2 years. the only thing I paid was the $200 oil change by the stealership which I beat the crap out of their loaner
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #17
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

SOME porsche's are extremely reliable. A 2009+ base or S model 6-speed Porsche boxster, cayman, or 911 is extremely reliable. Others are less so, and the ~2009 model year introduced direct injection engines that solved alot of problems for Porsche engines that existed since 1997.

Porsche is also very DIY friendly and a base model 911 is, generally speaking, not a super expensive car to own for a DIYer. Oil changes, brake pads, spark plugs, normal sensors - all pretty straight forward and parts readily available on Pelican Parts.

Now if you are the type who just wants to drop it off at the dealer and not think about it, you will get gouged.

A note on aftermarket warranties: I've had two warranties through route 66 (available through penfed financing).

My first warranty cost me ~$1400 and covered around $5k in work the first year - then I sold the car and transffered the warranty. They provided quick coverage too.

My second warranty is on my 08 535xit and cost $2k. It's less than 1 year old and covered about $400 in work so far. The warranty does not cover diagnostic cost and has other carve outs, but it is a good warranty and company.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #18
omegaSMP300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S, Boxster GTS, R8 V10+

They are known to be reliable that is for sure. Cost of ownership is definitely not as bad as some of the other car brands in their segment. I will second what some others have said and say that buying a used car with a warranty is the best way to go. Obviously, this means one of the newer model years and will therefore be more expensive. That being said you will find tremendous savings in the used car market for Porsches because of the ridiculous cost of their options. If you are going to use the car as a DD and not as a track toy you will be in pretty good hands with a Porsche. Just make sure to get inspection before you buy (especially if the car is out of warranty). Good luck in your search!
2017 R8 V10 Plus, 2016 Boxster GTS, 2015 Macan S, 2015 V12 Vantage S - Pending Sale, 2013 911 C4S - Sold, 2012 V8 Vantage S - Sold, 2013 DB9 - Sold, 2011 997.2 Targa 4s - Sold, 2011 E90 335i M-Sport - Sold, 2013 981 Boxster S - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2010 E60 M5 - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2011.5 E90 M3 - Sold, 2006 325i - Sold, 2004 Mazda6 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #19
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for your comments! I will keep an eye out for sure. It's between a used Cayman S or an M2. I would like to do ED with a Porsche but I don't know if I want to pay that kind of money for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Sorry... For the most part, Extended Warranties are for suckers: http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clar...er-vehi/nCKZt/

I have a vehicle that is one of if not THE most NOTORIOUS for foking up out of warranty! Guess what? I'm out of factory warranty... And it has! BUT... My out of pocket cost for repairs was FAR less than ANY available extended warranty out there! Here's a breakdown: The absolute cheapest for my car was @ $5k. I have spent maybe a grand on repairs. Now I will say that initially, I paid out of pocket $2k for injectors. But BMW reimbursed me under a specific Customer Campaign. Lucky? Maybe. But even then I would be MUCH better off than the initial $5k!
And before my F01 I owned two e65 7 Series. Both had factory warranty initially but that ran out and I ended up spending @ $1,400 on one and $2,500 on the other for timing chain. Guess what? The extended warranties were $4k had I bought them. But instead I pay from my own savings should the need ever arise. Also, I don't believe in buying high-end cars brand new. Meaning any car that has a MSRP over say $75k, I'm buying pre-owned all day every day! No way am I taking that 20-30% depreciation hit that continues each year. Fok that! I wait @ 2-3yrs and save @ $25k-$50k (as I have several times) and have a ultra clean, low mileage well pampered car that I own (keyword) and can turn around and sell at a profit (depreciation adjusted) and grab another $100k car until I'm ready for the next.
Not saying everyone should follow my example, but it damn sure works for me. I too am considering a gently used, low mileage 997 and will save tens of thousands in the process.

Oh and good luck OP. I think you'll be just fine.
I guess I was a sucker when $6K of warranty work was done on my CPO X5, right? That being said, I've actually never directly bought an extended warranty. The X5, for example, already had a CPO warranty attached to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #21
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I guess I was a sucker when $6K of warranty work was done on my CPO X5, right? That being said, I've actually never directly bought an extended warranty. The X5, for example, already had a CPO warranty attached to it.
well you technically paid when you purchased the CPO warrantied car. A NON CPO is uslly 2-3K cheaper
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Honestly, when you're rich, it's not a big deal (most of us are not). Nobody likes to pay for s*** breaking, but think about it, how many people do you know, they lose their iPhone, and they're not worried about the money. They're worried about being unreachable, so they have an assistant run to the mall and get a new one for $929 plus tax and feel relieved once it's back in their pocket.

I have gone to the Porsche launces of the boxster and prior to that the 991. A guy told me the sweet spot in his opinion is 4-5 y.o. because many cars are not driven a lot. He said he has owned 2 new, and 3 used. And yes they are known to be reliable in a general sense....
Appreciate 0