New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

Do I buy an extended 3rd party warranty on a 60k 35i?

I plan on purchasing a 35i and wanted to see if others here who are buying used purchasing extended warranty.. If I had a 30i, I wouldn't feel the need but worried about the dct and other issues (besides the hpfp). Any advice? It'll likely cost 2200 for an extra 50k miles and 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 12:56 AM   #2
transmit
Rep
Drives: 2015 Z4 sDrive 28i

Extended warranties on German luxury brands are always a good idea unless you already have a big budget set aside for repairs. $2,200 seems like a good price, I'd go for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
sangers
Rep
Drives: z4

I asked this same question when buying my 2012 50k 35i from CarMax. The warranty had a $500 excess/deductible and was going to cost $3500.

I started threads on every z4 and bmw forum and the consensus was that it wasn't worth it. The threads I made had a poll asking if people have had to repair or replace anything within the first 6 years or 100k that cost more than $4000.

Only one person reported having to replace something that was in excess of the cost of the warranty.

I've had my z4 for 2 months now and i recently ran over a pot hole that damaged a rear shock absorber. These cost $1100 each but I was able to claim it on insurance and only had to pay the $500 excess/deductible.

I would give you the same advice I received. Add the cost of the warranty to any excess/deductible and consider whether you could imagine having to have repairs to the vehicle exceeding this value within the life of the warranty. In your case, maybe it's worth it because you may be up for replacing those shock absorbers soon - even two of them will equate to the cost of the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just hit a pothole and it destroyed 2 tires on the passenger side. How did you know your shock absorbers were broken and would they be covered under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

Surprising: there are potholes in Houston?

I have a 2009 3.5i DCT and except for the HPFP and the regular maintenance (e.g. sparkplugs) I had no issues. So knock on wood, put money on the side every month and build your own warranty. Also avoid the deteriorated streets in Houston would be my humble advice to you. When I drive there I always carefully plan my trip to avoid e.g. Richmond Ave. & others 3rd world countries alike streets
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:37 PM   #6
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

I bought mine in 20k mileage and it is 45k right now. Haven't changed anything except spark plugs and coils.
      05-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
Surprising: there are potholes in Houston?

I have a 2009 3.5i DCT and except for the HPFP and the regular maintenance (e.g. sparkplugs) I had no issues. So knock on wood, put money on the side every month and build your own warranty. Also avoid the deteriorated streets in Houston would be my humble advice to you. When I drive there I always carefully plan my trip to avoid e.g. Richmond Ave. & others 3rd world countries alike streets
yeah.. bad streets and 265/30/19 in the rears.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
sangers
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiter View Post
I just hit a pothole and it destroyed 2 tires on the passenger side. How did you know your shock absorbers were broken and would they be covered under warranty?
How did I know it was broken:
  1. The pin (center) of the shock shot right through and punctured the carpeted trim in the boot.
  2. There was a horrible rattling sound that I couldn't miss.

How did I know it would be covered under warranty? Not sure about warranty, I claimed it under insurance. I rung them and they said the accident was not my fault and it would be covered without increase to my premium. I can see a case for warranty though - shocks are meant to protect you from that scenario. They should last normal driving conditions for the life of the warranty.
Appreciate 0