New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #23
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

Theres a slight delay in the DCT before driving off?
Also, after some more playing around in sport+, the nannies on that is perfect
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #24
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
Tangent

Me too. Now I have Cobb AP installed and replaced the sensitive pedal response in sport mode of my custom map with an almost linear response. I have used the tool Access Tuner Race:
Ooh, you just made a very strong case for the Cobb AP for me...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #25
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Guys - the Cobb unit has not really been supported over the last 2 years, and between the support you can get for the JB4 and MHD (for flashing), I would do some more research.

I was going to go down this road myself, but there are better and cheaper solutions...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:49 AM   #26
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

OK, just my 2 cents concerning Cobb, MHD and JB4, without current in-depth research:

I bought my Cobb AP 3 two years ago. I believe the product is quite mature and failsafe with its original ECU backups and that there is not much left to improve within its scope as a map flasher and parameter monitor (OK, I would like to see an option for OBD readiness modifications). And there is still much space for own interventions with Access Tuner Race. So nothing to complain for me

MHD is certainly a more modern and cost-effective option for new adopters, but I didn't keep track if it would really better suit my needs than Cobb AP. I simply do not need it.

When I bought my Cobb AP, I also considered buying a JB4. But I did not like its approach to tamper with the car's sensor values and that there is additional hardware that needs to stay in the car - but this, of course, is only my opinion.

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #27
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

Another thing with sport and sport+ in manual is that you can easily get the car going with only the clutch, likely due to the throttle mapping. It makes going into 1st so much smoother.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #28
Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35is

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiter View Post
Yeah, unfortunately. I've been in the "crapping pants while turning onto a major road from a side road with oncoming traffic" situation many times over the past four years. It's because the DCT is an automated manual, rather than an automatic (with lock-up torque converter) that goes the instant you tromp the gas pedal. I find that the Sport and Sport+ modes improve things a bit, but don't completely eliminate the issue. It's for this one reason alone that I want a manual back in whatever next car I get. Some will argue that a human-driven manual will have a similar delay off the line, but I think I'd feel better about it by feeling more in control of said delay.

Of course, once you're going, none can argue with the speed of the DCT upshifts.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #29
sjeupie
Private
Rep
Drives: Tiefseeblau E89 Sdrive 23i wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiter View Post
Yeah, unfortunately. I've been in the "crapping pants while turning onto a major road from a side road with oncoming traffic" situation many times over the past four years. It's because the DCT is an automated manual, rather than an automatic (with lock-up torque converter) that goes the instant you tromp the gas pedal. I find that the Sport and Sport+ modes improve things a bit, but don't completely eliminate the issue. It's for this one reason alone that I want a manual back in whatever next car I get. Some will argue that a human-driven manual will have a similar delay off the line, but I think I'd feel better about it by feeling more in control of said delay.

Of course, once you're going, none can argue with the speed of the DCT upshifts.
If that split second delay makes you crap your pants, you chose the wrong moment to turn onto the road if you ask me....
Try driving a land rover for a week (or even better: a small slow reasonably priced car from the 90's so you feel genuinly unsafe) and get used to the space and time you need to turn onto a big road. That will fix most of your problems. Cause a fast car can make up for a lot of mistakes (and create quite some too...!), but squeezing yourself in front of a lorry when there is just not the space, is not one of them. Just my 2c.

I drive in Normal and Sport btw. 50/50
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #30
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

But it is NOT the transmission

The delay is caused by the Dynamic Stability Control DSC. It is detecting the incipient wheelspin as you turn the wheel and get on the throttle. It is trying to stabilize the possible oversteer by both braking individual rear wheels and reducing throttle. So instead of spinning out in front of the lorry, the lorry rear-ends you. DCT allows some wheel spin so you have a shot at beating the lorry with less delay. DSC OFF allows you to depart quickly, with no interference but if it is wet you might do a 360 and have a head-on with the lorry.
My now classic 427 Corvette with 16" bias ply tires, and a cable to the three carburetors, was controlled by the drivers feet and hands and it always beat the lorry while leaving two black stripes on the pavement. Go figure.
BTW in case you are wondering, the acceleration times of that ancient big block 4 speed Corvette were slightly slower than the 335 and the driver never felt much in the way of cornering Gs. The only ECU was between the drivers ears and it was very prone to failure but so satisfying when successful.
So anyways, just pull out behind the damn lorry.
Appreciate 0