New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

DCT noise.. What is normal?

So I've had my 2009 Z4 35i for about 2 months now and I am learning what is normal and what is not. Before I bought the car the warranty information indicated that the DCT was leaking and fixed at 33,xxx. I am not sure what exactly they fixed, only that they fixed a leaky DCT. After I bought the car I felt like it was still leaking and my dealer replaced the gasket on the mechatronics unit. It appears that this has fixed the leak but I am not sure what is normal noise for the DCT tranny.

It sounds very loud to me, almost like a roaring noise. It is difficult for me to determine if the noise that I am hearing is the transmission or the awful Kuhmo Ecsta Spt tires that are currently on it. I am coming from a 135i
6MT that had very little drivetrain noise so I am concerned that something else might be wrong with the DCT.

I would like to hear from other DCT owners about what normal is for this transmission.

I have no complaint about how it shifts. It seems to shift great and fast.

Mods are:
HFP FMIC
KW V3
AR DP's
Milltek Exhaust

Last edited by Lambobimmer; 04-14-2013 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Here are a few vids. I believe that it is tire noise that is making the roaring noise but I am not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L425LoSnEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFylcJSjdcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-EBqRPi3BM
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I have a 2009 with DCT, 27K on the clock, my 1st Bimmer and 1st with electronic double clutch. I am coming from an Acura Type S with a 5 speed automatic with paddle shifters. The trans was dead silent. I too hear shifting noise, not a roar, but hear the gears engaging/shifting when shifting from P to D to R, BUT have no problem or noise when running. I just had the car at BMW and had the Tech listen to the trans. He listened to mine and then listened to a DCT in a M3. He stated both had the same gear engaging noise. Mine does get amplified as when I park in the garage the sound gets echoed and amplified. I will keep an eye or rather an ear on it.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

If the roar depends on your road speed and not the engine speed then I would not be too concerned. Try revving the engine a bit while in N. Is it still there? In the end, the only thing you can do is to visually check if no new leaking has started.

Did they replace the DCT oil after each repair on yours, or did they just put the old oil back in? If the oil is new, and there is no leaking, then the only two "repair" options left are 1) reprogramming and 2) to have the entire transmission replaced. This is because you already had both gaskets replaced just like I did.

After my leaks were repaired one "abnormal" noise definitely disappeared: a tiny ticking noise before each gear change. It was only audible when the transmission was fully warmed up. Now it is completely gone. I never had any roars before or after, but I still have a tiny whining noise around 1500rpm when the car is fully warmed up and then some (ie +20kms of driving). I guess it is the turbos, but I don't know. Time will tell haha.

From the DCT, the only sounds I have left now, which are worth mentioning, are those BMWZ4RIDER describes.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

There isn't any gear whine or other noise from my DCT when the car is moving

There is sometimes a click / clunk noise when I am moving off from a stop

Investigate fully while you have a warranty!
Appreciate 0