New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #67
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

83 19 1 165 917 is the fuel additive.....that we shouldn't use.
lubrizol 6178 part number 83 29 0 434 684 ,is the additive we don't have to put on our power steering with atf oil...
83 29 0 422 194 is the zf additive for auto transmission 6 hp26 .
I can't find the grease for our hardtop , so someone could do some diy job ....
Francesco
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #68
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by siscobmw View Post
sorry, please ,juhap....maybe my words are misunderstood...maybe in a table of a pub, with (almost) 2 beers (offered by me), you could have noticed I was not sarchastic as you thought.
Don't worry Francesco, no harm done

You're probably right saying that just because the manual says something, it isn't necessarily true. My position is that since I don't know better, I'll follow the manual. At least that way BMW can't blame me if the rubber seals one day just evaporate.

The BMW gummi-pflege solution seems to disappear faster than a fart in the wind when I apply it to the seals, but I'll try your suggestion next time (cotton towel with a heavy dose of spray).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #69
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by siscobmw View Post
83 19 1 165 917 is the fuel additive.....that we shouldn't use.
lubrizol 6178 part number 83 29 0 434 684 ,is the additive we don't have to put on our power steering with atf oil...
83 29 0 422 194 is the zf additive for auto transmission 6 hp26 .
I can't find the grease for our hardtop , so someone could do some diy job ....
Francesco
I sort of understand the fuel additive, as the formulation varies from region to region and different parts of the world and different times of year, although a lot of fuel additives have been shown to be worthless.

The power steering additive has me puzzled - what benefit do they claim it provides?

Same question for auto transmission additive - what benefit do they claim it provides?

In the early US we had tonic and "snake oil" salesmen that traveled from town to town selling stuff to cure peoples aches and pains. Whatever it was, real or imagined, these guys had something to cure it. Always thinking of ways to separate people from their money. Car dealers are sort of like snake oil salesmen - they have all sorts of tonics for your oils and and nitrogen for your tires. Oh, and did I mention was have tar for your car's underbelly and teflon for your seats?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 08-09-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #70
siscobmw
Italy
Rep

@ juhap:

a fart in the wind and gummipfledge on new seals works the same way......
there was a time when bmw sold gummipfledge not in aerosol version, but was like vaseline ....that worked wonders! but it worked,so bmw had the great idea to stop production......

@teagueamx:
bmw claim nothing about those products but I can ensure you that:

1fuel additive just worked good.

2power steering additive is used when you have some noise , and dealer change pump, then the steering box, then again the atf oil and noise is still there....so they put this stuff on the fluid reservoir and wait for this noise to go away....most of those cars usually have a filter in the oil reservoir bottom.you change 8-10 euro filter and the noise goes away.

zf auto gearbox additive: for new car with something wrong (usually it take s a little of run in mileage more to make the gearchange smoother) or used with owners that usually like to grind testicles of bmw mechanics....
bmw and zf could admit that lifetime oil is pure nonsense:gearbox is not life time and the older become the oil the worse it works. a lot of e32 e34 e38 e39 e36 e46 owners change gearbox oil every 40-60k kms, and the gearbox went bulletproof.no change and the zf/gm gearbox became extremely expensive rubbish.
I am overhauling myself the auto trans of my 3.3L and I helped a friend with his zf on a e34 540i touring, and I know very well the effects of bad oil in a zf hp ....also the oil refill, as there are no visible plug to change it with common tools....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #71
Howard_AZ
AZ. Z Series Club V.P.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 iDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie View Post
Did anyone manage to get this resolved? I find that it happens intermittently and varies between annoying and really annoying in volume. Only happens when roof is up so shouldn't be suspension related.

I also have comfort access and have heard that the roof can lift out of the boot (trunk) slightly when it's stored to get access. Does anyone know how this works? Nothing in the manual.
To get the top up in order to gain access to the trunk, depress the trunk open button twice within 2 seconds and I believe you have to hold the button depressed after the second click. It is in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #72
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I had mine in last week for a "creeky" roof and noisy driver side wiper arm. Both fixed in a matter of an hour; picked up the car and all was well.

For the roof creak specifically - apparently it's the seal between the glass/roof portion and the roof piece that's over your head. It happened more frequently on really hot days (expansion presumably) and not at all on colder days.

Technician said he had fixed one previously so knew what to do straight away.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #73
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

Took my car in, stayed with them for like 3 days but they got the job done! I'll look at the work done in the invoice and leave the exact fix for future zpost viewers. Took them 3 tries at a fix from what I remember by looking through the invoice that I was given. I'll provide the exact fix 2morrow

Last edited by Torn; 08-12-2010 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 03:28 AM   #74
siscobmw
Italy
Rep

Torn thank you for your report, We are waiting for the part they fixed and , if you can ,for pictures......
I think this is the way a forum should work....other z forum could only learn from thread like this.

Francesco
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #75
Phat Cat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tot View Post
I had some noise coming from the passenger side. ...
I had that too but it went away once i pressed the passenger eject button.

In terms of noise from the car itself, I have about 1/4 mile of dirt road on the way to my house that is always rough. When i cross it in my Z4 I get a symphony of rattles and squeaks from the top, the back, the dash and elsewhere. I had a similar concert on a prior SLK 350 so I'm used to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 12:40 AM   #76
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

C/S: Creak in roof behind Driver Side over bumps. Most Likely Drivers Side B Shell Latch incorrectly positioned. "Road Test Vehicle" Found Rattle/Creak Noise from Roof. Removed Headliner on A and B roof Shells. Road tested vehicle once more. Found noise from drivers Latch Area. Lubricated Latch and road tested vehicle again. Noise Still Present. Performed adjustment at position rod to latch. Adjustment at rod. Noise gone. Reinstalled Headliner trims and road tested again. No noise heard after Repair. Work time used for adjusting rod Twice.

That's what was listed on my invoice...Hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #77
rawson
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 30i M Sport

Noise when top is up

Hi, I noticed David M Bell's post in particular on this subject as I am from the same area- West Yorkshire. We purchased a Z4 s drive 30i M Sport in May this year and, like David, I cannot bear driving it with the roof up as the number of rattles and squeaks drives me mad when driving over poor road surfaces and small bumps at around 30-40 mph, we have had the car into the local dealer without success. My question for you David is 'Did you get it fixed to your satisfaction and what was the problem caused by?' It would be great if you can let me know!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #78
suvidh
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i , 2011 f10 525d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawson View Post
Hi, I noticed David M Bell's post in particular on this subject as I am from the same area- West Yorkshire. We purchased a Z4 s drive 30i M Sport in May this year and, like David, I cannot bear driving it with the roof up as the number of rattles and squeaks drives me mad when driving over poor road surfaces and small bumps at around 30-40 mph, we have had the car into the local dealer without success. My question for you David is 'Did you get it fixed to your satisfaction and what was the problem caused by?' It would be great if you can let me know!
I had the rattle which turned worst after a long trip. It sounded like a loud rattle from loose hinges or bolts. The dealer was able to fix it . They didnt disclose which parts were adjusted nor did i get an invoice since this was done under warranty.

If your current dealer isnt able to fix the rattle, you should visit another dealer who has staff who is familair with the roof assembley.

Once the rattle was fixed, the pleasure of the Z4 was back. This was fixed about 4 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #79
Snopy
Rep
Drives: Z4

Thumbs up

Hi,

3 weeks ago i did recaived my new Z4. From 1st day i could have heard some rattle nois from back side of driver of interior It seems to sound pretty similar as you described.

After 2 weeks of investigation i figure out two source of rattle sounds:

1. First one is plastic cover of the back left roof top mechanism. Whole plastic was making strange noise on not-slight-road. The plastic is under number 5 on the image. My dealer took it off and asked me to ride a little bit with car - and you know what - sound gone Dealer will replace this plastic with new one on guarantee.

2. Second sound i can hear is exacly what you describe - rattle from the back of interior. When you drive and hear that noise, try with your hand (or with you passanger help) to push your rear window up - sound should stop. You can also open a roof a little bit and try to push your rear window down and up - you should hear that sound. Im going with this to my dealer next week. I will write you does he help me. There is propably problem with window fixing somewhere there.

Let me know if i could help!

Regards, Simon
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #80
rawson
Registered
Rep

Thanks for your help guys, thats really helpful, it will be a few weeks before a return to the dealer as the weather here is more suited to our X3 than our Z4! Iwill keep you posted and, once again, thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #81
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawson View Post
I've had mine in the garage just these last few days regarding the roof. On mine though it was in because of an awful cracking noise that it was making when the temperatures were sub zero.

The garage said the design of the roof means that sometimes moisture on the seals freezes and makes a cracking sound. I've posted a video of what mine is live over on 'another' forum : http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...=23633#p331500
Direct link to video http://davidmbell.com/z4/roof.mp4

Either way, now its back it does seem quieter than before. They have made some adjustments and lubricated the seals with Gummi Pfledge

Cheers

David
PS RAWSON? where are you based in West Yorks? I'm Apperley Bridge, but work in Wakefield.
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 04:08 AM   #82
Snopy
Rep
Drives: Z4

David - i have the same noise! Thank you for the video! Does lubricant help? How often do you need to lubricate?

Kind regards, Snopy
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #83
rawson
Registered
Rep

Hi David, thanks for your reply, I watched your video and that noise sounds awful! We have not experienced that yet as we are using our X3, the Z is 'resting' until the weather improves. When you had the car in for the noises you experienced in summer did your dealer cure the problem?

We live in Huddersfield, I work in Cleckheaton, the car was bought from Sandal in Wakefield.

Thanks David

Regards

Antony Rawson
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #84
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Well I began to get some noises in hot weather with the top up. A loud rattle/rubbing-cracking sound was coming from the rear-left quarter area of the top interior. I tried lubricating every rubber seal with Einzett gummi-fledge, but it didnt help. The next thing I tried was putting some high-density foam cut to size on the plastic, v-shaped bits where the top connects with the left-hand rubber nubs as in the pictures from the Italian forum and also lubricated the centering pin in the middle of the rear section of the top. That seemed to solve every noise 100%!

I hope this helps someone. It is very easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #85
Z4-2023 Mike
Z4 Mike
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2023 Z4/M40i  [0.00]
Had similar creaking noise from behind the driver in area of top on 2010 Z4. Rattles or creaks when on rough roads with top up. Dealer (Stevens Creek BMW, Santa Clara CA) took a few days to road test and several iterations to find the issue. Something with gaskets or seals not installed properly. Good persistence on their part got it fixed, no more noise. Very satisfied! They did comment about the top being a Rube Goldberg mechanism, as I am sure it is wonderful to work on

...but maybe they found it right away and were just joy riding in my Z4?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #86
sweeneyclash
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw z4

my dealer replaced the roof and it made no difference ! the issue is caused by the back section of the roof moving slightly or fidgeting one solution is to pad between the bottom section of the roof and the body with vinyl flooring cut into strips stuck down and an appropriate colour to blend in aim for a thickness of 12mm or more if reqd this braces the roof and stops the fidgeting , the dealers dont seem to have an answer and i have to say that mercedes slk and mazda mx5 power roofs are noise free as they sit below the boot line not on top of the body like the z4 and must be stiffer as a result
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:27 AM   #87
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGZ4TT View Post
I have located the rattle that seems to come from the rear deck! The sound in fact comes from a black piece of plastic that is located exactly next to the back window w/defroster side on the drivers side! If you tap on that black piece of plastic it will re-create that noise you hear when you drive over rough roads, or in or out of driveways! My car is in for service to address this problem. I will let you all know what they did to correct the problem. I do hear a little creaking when backing out of driveways, but it is not that bad! The rattle in the rear is annoying for sure! Hopefully they were able to tighten that piece that rattles! I took some double sided tape and stuck it between the piece of plastic and the roof mechanism and it stopped the rattle!!! But that is not acceptable for this level of car!
Can you take a photo and point where is this?
      11-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #88
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
Can you take a photo and point where is this?
Don't hold your breath. That post was from 9 years ago and the user hasn't been active since 2010...
Appreciate 0