New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Run Flats and a Spare Tyre in a Z4

Talking to a friend who bought an '08 Z4 and was complaining about the ride quality of his run flat tyres. Logically, I'd change them out for regular tyres but after looking at the '09 brochure but I don't see a tyre well recess in the boot. With space in the boot being rather limited, I don't want to stow a spare in there.

Is there a hidden tyre recess in the boot?

Last edited by teagueAMX; 06-30-2009 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Talking to a friend who bought an '08 Z4 and was complaining about the ride quality of his run flat tyres. Logically, I'd change them out for regular tyres but after looking at the '09 brochure but I don't see a tyre well recess in the boot. With space in the boot being rather limited, I want to stow a spare in there.

Is there a hidden tyre recess in the boot?
No there isn't. Without run flat tyres you will have to carry a tyre repair kit with you. Definitely there is no space for a spare tyre.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^ Thanks for the info.

The tyre kit is a good idea except for the odd major blow out, but haven't seen one of those in years.

Roadside assistance would be a must and just hope I'm not on remote country road when it happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
dds
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

the possibility of a flat tire occuring is actually rare. Ask yourself, how many flat tires did you get sofar since you began to drive and how many of those were so terrible that you were stuck where you are?

On the E89 you dont need to change them because the suspension is so soft on Normal mode you dont feel a thing? the new cruizer Z4.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds View Post
the possibility of a flat tire occuring is actually rare. Ask yourself, how many flat tires did you get sofar since you began to drive and how many of those were so terrible that you were stuck where you are?

On the E89 you dont need to change them because the suspension is so soft on Normal mode you dont feel a thing? the new cruizer Z4.
Let's see, I'll be 53 this August and I started driving w/o a license when I was 14. . . that's a few years, and your point is well taken. The only time I had a complete blowout w/ tire shreds flying was when I was acting stupid about 30 years ago.

Rides that nice - cool. I'll be test driving it and that's good to know.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

He does not need to change to normal tyres.

2nd generation run-flats on this model are far better than on previous Z4.

Order the Adaptive M Suspension and the ride's even better still.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Victor1 View Post
He does not need to change to normal tyres.

2nd generation run-flats on this model are far better than on previous Z4.

Order the Adaptive M Suspension and the ride's even better still.
I've read that the latest gen Z4 with the M suspension is actually better than the previous gen M Coupe. It seems I remember reading they improved the horsepower and tuned the suspension - is that true?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
dds
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

RFT's are RFT's they are harsh. Test the E89 with the Normal mode and make sure you are driving on bad pavement and decide for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for the advise.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
BMWAdvisor
The Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: All the BMWs on the lot

BTW...were his run flats filled with air or nitrogen? Run flats ride better with nitrogen.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAdvisor View Post
BTW...were his run flats filled with air or nitrogen? Run flats ride better with nitrogen.
I fail to see how exchanging one type of gas (normal air) w/ nitrogen at the same pressure, ambient temp, etc., would make any difference in ride quality.

Putting aside my normal skepticism, and admit I've seen dealers advertising this product and assumed it was a scam.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X1 35i M-sport

"normal" air is already 78% nitrogen, and they damned sure aren't creating a vacuum to pull out all that air before replacing it with nitrogen when they do pump it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I fail to see how exchanging one type of gas (normal air) w/ nitrogen at the same pressure, ambient temp, etc., would make any difference in ride quality.
That's the difference there. The pressures/temps/etc are variable, and atmospheric oxygen (the air we breathe at 78% nitrogen) will react differently than pure nitrogen in the same situation.

Nitrogen will expand less when it gets hot, so in theory, the ride could be better as the tire pressure will increase when the tires get hot (this is why you always check the tires when they're cold). The ONLY times I've seen this beneficial were in racing applications. There are some in the commercial trucking business and RV communities who also swear by it, but on a "normal" passenger vehicle? Well, if they're gonna do it for free, sure, but I'm not interested in paying anything extra for it.

Prev: 09 Z4 35i Black w/white napa leather & every option possible =)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeF4y View Post
"normal" air is already 78% nitrogen, and they damned sure aren't creating a vacuum to pull out all that air before replacing it with nitrogen when they do pump it in.

That's the difference there. The pressures/temps/etc are variable, and atmospheric oxygen (the air we breathe at 78% nitrogen) will react differently than pure nitrogen in the same situation.

Nitrogen will expand less when it gets hot, so in theory, the ride could be better as the tire pressure will increase when the tires get hot (this is why you always check the tires when they're cold). The ONLY times I've seen this beneficial were in racing applications. There are some in the commercial trucking business and RV communities who also swear by it, but on a "normal" passenger vehicle? Well, if they're gonna do it for free, sure, but I'm not interested in paying anything extra for it.
Agreed.

I guess the operative word I should have used was "pure" Nitrogen. . . Not to mention the normal monthly (or more often) pressure monitoring and refill. Particularly difficult or troublesome if you don't keep a pressurize tank of Nitrogen in your garage. What about when you're on the road. . .

Not to ding BMWAdvisor, bc I'm sure people are legitimately looking for any benefit/advantage they can get, and that's OK.

But the whole nitrogen in your tires thing reminds me of the dealer applied "undercoating" scam, which unforunately, I fell for years ago when I bought my first new car. I actually fell for it bc I was taking my vehicular into a harsher winter climate (road salt). Upon picking up the new vehicle from the dealer I crawled under it to look at the freshly applied "undercoating". I was dismayed to observe the dealer had applied Henry's roofing tar with a garden variety pesticide sprayer.

It's like anything else, just about anything which could have a legit purpose or function, always seems to fall into the hands of someone willing to sell it out of context to a naive stooge (like me) that will soon part with his money.
Appreciate 0