New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #45
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower
I like this idea of the i5 and I definitely dig the i styling, which is everything but boring and bland.. But to make it realistic, the car would have to stay electric pure. There are some problems however. BMW must somehow increase the range to compete with the Model S range. The pricing should not be higher than a mid-specced 3 series and I don't like the permanent torque split. I wish the car would have a very strong rear motor and a weaker, assisting front engine. Somewhere around 300hp rear, 80hp front. Otherwise I'm glad to hear more about this.
BMWi seams to be sending mixed messages. I agree it should be pure electric.

Born Electric !?!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #46
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
The i3 is currently overpriced and i guess this will be no exception.
Depends on where you live, in Norway, the i3 cost less than a 1 series.
In fact it cost less than a VW Golf.
But here we have alot of goodies that comes alongside owning and driving a EV. No toll on the roads, free parking, free charging and so on.
The i5 looks great, and should potentialy be a huge hit for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #47
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy
Quote:
The i3 is currently overpriced and i guess this will be no exception.
Depends on where you live, in Norway, the i3 cost less than a 1 series.
In fact it cost less than a VW Golf.
But here we have alot of goodies that comes alongside owning and driving a EV. No toll on the roads, free parking, free charging and so on.
The i5 looks great, and should potentialy be a huge hit for BMW.
Lucky you!

What a progressive place to live.

In the US $50k+ is alot for a full electric city car. The largest problem here, is that you cannot plug into CHAdeMO!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #48
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Very exciting to think of such a vehicle being greenlighted for production. An M version of this car would give the M division a huge competitive advantage over its rivals (AMG, Audi RS, Cadillac V, etc.).

The i8 (which apparently was developed entirely outside of the M Division) has far greater performance that what anyone expected. Take an i5 (which will only build upon lessons learned from the i8) and to a track-capable "M" version, and wow.... Sign me up!!!!!
Not gonna happen, BMW seems adamant at this time to keep M GmbH and it's i division as two separate houses. Don't look for any joint projects between the two anytime soon.
I agree that this is BMW's current stance - and will probably remain so for a few more years - but in 2020 or soon thereafter - all performance cars of any serious
Caliber will either by hybrid (like i8) or straight electric...
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #49
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Very exciting to think of such a vehicle being greenlighted for production. An M version of this car would give the M division a huge competitive advantage over its rivals (AMG, Audi RS, Cadillac V, etc.).

The i8 (which apparently was developed entirely outside of the M Division) has far greater performance that what anyone expected. Take an i5 (which will only build upon lessons learned from the i8) and to a track-capable "M" version, and wow.... Sign me up!!!!!
Not gonna happen, BMW seems adamant at this time to keep M GmbH and it's i division as two separate houses. Don't look for any joint projects between the two anytime soon.
I agree that this is BMW's current stance - and will probably remain so for a few more years - but in 2020 or soon thereafter - all performance cars of any serious
Absolutely!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #50
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

I, like most on here thinks the i5 looks gorgeous. However, from a performance standpoint is this car not lacking a few horses? The Tesla S comes standard with 300 (and something) horsepower, whereas from this intial report it looks like the i5 would be equipped with 200ish. Not sure that weight reduction alone will bring straightline performance on par with a standard Tesla S, not to mention electric only range.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #51
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Lucky you!

In the US $50k+ is alot for a full electric city car. The largest problem here, is that you cannot plug into CHAdeMO!
I don't think the problem in North America is the fact that electric cars cost $50k, it is that other cars are much cheaper.

In North America you can get an i3 for $50k, or a Golf for $25k. In many EU countries, the i3 is still $50k, but that same Golf would be $55k.

Not sure if I am out to lunch or not on this one.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 06-24-2015 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #52
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

YES PLEASE!
This might get me back to bmw if it has a decent electrical range.

But I see two problems:
1. To counter the Tesla Model S a super fast US/EU-wide charging network is also needed.... Tesla has their own...
2. It's basically a BMW Tesla Model S which is great if it were in production today. But in 2020? Seems too late. But time will tell...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #53
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
Lucky you!

I don't think the problem in North America is the fact that electric cars cost $50k, it is that other cars are much cheaper.

In North America you can get an i3 for $50k, or a Golf for $25k. In many EU countries, the i3 is still $50k, but that same Golf would be $55k.

Yes you are correct. Like i said earlier, if Musk delivers a $35k Model 3, as he says he plans to, BMW and all the other automobile brands are going to be in serious trouble.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #54
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl
YES PLEASE!
This might get me back to bmw if it has a decent electrical range.

But I see two problems:
1. To counter the Tesla Model S a super fast US/EU-wide charging network is also needed.... Tesla has their own...
2. It's basically a BMW Tesla Model S which is great if it were in production today. But in 2020? Seems too late. But time will tell...
In as short as 18 months we will have many brands w EV's to choose from with over 200 mile battery options!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #55
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Quote:
Quote:
Lucky you!

Yes you are correct. Like i said earlier, if Musk delivers a $35k Model 3, as he says he plans to, BMW and all the other automobile brands are going to be in serious trouble.
Lay off the Kool Aid. You're getting delirious.
      06-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #56
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Quote:
Quote:
Lucky you!

Lay off the Kool Aid. You're getting delirious.
Yes indeed !

Appreciate 1
      06-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #57
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
BMWi seams to be sending mixed messages. I agree it should be pure electric.

Born Electric !?!
The BMWi philosophy " Born Electric" means they are not standard cars electrified but separate concepts designed to offer sustainable mobility, born from their own technology and platforms not shared with existing BMW models.
      06-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #58
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Pretty sure I read somewhere (maybe from Scott) that the next i-model will borrow from the RFK concept (Benz R-Class competitor) and will focus on practicality instead of sport. I wouldn't expect anything good looking or fast. Probably some kind of million-MPG crossover. Ugly, of course.
Its a separate model. But could be a variant of the i5.
It will be practical crossover but also dynamic in appearance and nature.
      06-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #59
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Both BMWi and BMW M. Are separate sub-divisions or bookends from BMW.
They won't crossover or cross-pollinate.
They will share material and technology but will be interpreted to suit the character and reaction you expect from a BMW M. So more Performance and more dynamism. The 3.0 CSL Hommage features an M interpreted variation on BMWs upcoming three stages of Power eDrive drivetrain.
Both BMW M. and BMWi have similar philosophies but different goals.

Innovation through Performance and innovation through efficiency.
      06-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #60
MacOSR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 X5M, 18 M550, 21 M5C, 23 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Both BMWi and BMW M. Are separate sub-divisions or bookends from BMW.
They won't crossover or cross-pollinate.
They will share material and technology but will be interpreted to suit the character and reaction you expect from a BMW M. So more Performance and more dynamism. The 3.0 CSL Hommage features an M interpreted variation on BMWs upcoming three stages of Power eDrive drivetrain.
Both BMW M. and BMWi have similar philosophies but different goals.

Innovation through Performance and innovation through efficiency.
I am REALLY excited to see where this is going. I'm interested in Tesla but not too thrilled about being 100% electric. I'm very interested in the Power eDrive drivetrain that's coming out. As a current M5 and M3 owner I am also excited to see the performance of these models and would love to see performance that's on-par or greater than the current M offerings.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #61
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Since BMW M and BMWi will stay separate and not work together, BMWi needs to create a performance section like BMW M so they can sell performance parts on i vehicles. It's probably only a matter of time.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #62
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

This render looks great. If the performance goals are achieved, I would highly consider buying one.
      06-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #63
ssstraub
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm View Post
The BMW i5 already exists... Just needs a nice double-kidney grill and badging.
And don't forget losing about 1,5000 pounds.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #64
undecided
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M5 Sapphire Black

Garage List
2008 335xi SOLD!!!! ...  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
Can we have an i-z car please BMW?

Something like Z3/4 but from the i line. Please no need to weird it up like i3/8. Make it a good looking roadster/coupe, small and light and electrify it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #65
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Since BMW M and BMWi will stay separate and not work together, BMWi needs to create a performance section like BMW M so they can sell performance parts on i vehicles. It's probably only a matter of time.
Eco conscious consumers the i brand considers their target market will not (and should not) stand for such excess and deviation from "the cause." I'd argue that any performance minded EV should be exempt from any tax credits or preferential treatment a properly Eco-focused EV enjoys.
      06-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #66
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
yep.

Quote:
yep.

I also drove the i3 at the pre-launch event and had a lot of fun driving the car. If it were more visually appealing (I'm being polite), had better all-electric range, and cost less, I'd have one in the garage. The instant acceleration from 0 to about 35 is addictive as hell.
Appreciate 0