New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-13-2018, 02:37 AM   #23
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

Black unit is the WiFi version for iOS devices. White unit is Bluetooth unit for Andriod devices. Choose depending on which OS your app is hosted on.

BTW, all this is explained thoroughly on their website.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #24
KIRK!
Amateur Philosopher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 3.0i, Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctperson View Post
Black unit is the WiFi version for iOS devices. White unit is Bluetooth unit for Andriod devices. Choose depending on which OS your app is hosted on.

BTW, all this is explained thoroughly on their website.
Thanks. Not clearly, or I wouldn't be asking.

This is labeled as the Android Combo Set. Why would one assume you don't need the white piece for Apple also? Especially when the black part is called an adapter. Usually an adapter acts as a third piece that allows you physically connect two objects. Is it a stretch to imagine that the white unit is the actual Carly "brain" and that the "adapter" is the piece that allows it to work with the car?

Last edited by KIRK!; 04-13-2018 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #25
distinctperson
Human
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK! View Post
Thanks. Not clearly, or I wouldn't be asking.

This is labeled as the Android Combo Set. Why would one assume you don't need the white piece for Apple also? Especially when the black part is called an adapter. Usually an adapter acts as a third piece that allows you physically connect two objects. Is it a stretch to imagine that the white unit is the actual Carly "brain" and that the "adapter" is the piece that allows it to work with the car?

You don't need the white unit as an iOS user because I (as a Carly user myself), in addition Carly's website instructions, are both telling you that you don't need it. If this is too confusing, you can always stick to using a cable, which is much cheaper than buying an adapter, and enables you utilize to the overwhelming majority of the functions, minus the iDrive coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 01:43 AM   #26
KIRK!
Amateur Philosopher
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You don't need the white unit as an iOS user because I (as a Carly user myself), in addition Carly's website instructions, are both telling you that you don't need it. If this is too confusing, you can always stick to using a cable, which is much cheaper than buying an adapter, and enables you utilize to the overwhelming majority of the functions, minus the iDrive coding.
I understood your answer. I was explaining why I was initially confused. Thanks for continuing to be needlessly condescending, though. It really helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #27
distinctperson
Human
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK! View Post
I understood your answer. I was explaining why I was initially confused. Thanks for continuing to be needlessly condescending, though. It really helps.
Incorrect. You were continuing to display confusion, as opposed to explaining why you
WERE confused, and are no longer confused.

And I actually meant condescension in my response; I was just a bit tired of over-explaining and yet felt the need to assure of the correct product choice. Additionally (the offer still stands) I meant to DM you that if you only needed the suite for a one time coding (as opposed to utilizing the diagnostic and monitoring features over the long term) you can just use my set instead since I'm within reach (SF proper) and save money.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #28
KIRK!
Amateur Philosopher
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Incorrect. You were continuing to display confusion, as opposed to explaining why you
WERE confused, and are no longer confused.

And I actually meant condescension in my response; I was just a bit tired of over-explaining and yet felt the need to assure of the correct product choice. Additionally (the offer still stands) I meant to DM you that if you only needed the suite for a one time coding (as opposed to utilizing the diagnostic and monitoring features over the long term) you can just use my set instead since I'm within reach (SF proper) and save money.
Nope. My initial “thanks” in my first response to you was my acknowledgement of understanding of your answer, but you can keep feeling like you’re winning the Internet with your condescending answers after the fact.

My only disagreement was that this was “thoroughly explained on their website”. I just revisited from their entry page to the page to order the adapter and still see no “thorough explanation.” You answered my question, but for no real reason, found the need to end your response with an unnecessary condescending comment.

The easy and short answer to my question just needed to be that Android, for some reason, needs the two pieces, white and black, and that all I needed for iOS was the black “adapter” only. No one gave that simple answer until you did, and then ended it by being a dick.

Thanks, but no thanks, on the offer. I’d much prefer to spend the money than take you up on the favor.

I would, however, appreciate the heads-up as to which of these pages contains the “thorough” explanation you mentioned. Thanks.

http://www.mycarly.com/

http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

http://shop.mycarly.com/en/adapter/ios-bmw/

Last edited by KIRK!; 04-14-2018 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #29
distinctperson
Human
Rep

Perhaps I am mistaken in my judgement that your text (unwittingly) indicated you were still confused (I don't think so, but I am open to that possibility -- perhaps someone else can opine here). Either way, continuing back and forth on this a time-waste for both of us.

Lastly, some of the pages that explain this are:

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...-for-your-bmw/

and

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...carly-for-bmw/
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #30
KIRK!
Amateur Philosopher
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps I am mistaken in my judgement that your text (unwittingly) indicated you were still confused (I don't think so, but I am open to that possibility -- perhaps someone else can opine here). Either way, continuing back and forth on this a time-waste for both of us.

Lastly, some of the pages that explain this are:

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...-for-your-bmw/

and

http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge...carly-for-bmw/
Whether you believe me or not has no bearing on it being correct.

So, you think finding an answer in the FAQ section is thoroughly explained?

Yes, I could have technically dug around into the crevices of the their site, but I just bought a Z4 and had gone through their site after learning that such a device even existed. Days later, I was reading this thread and was hoping for someone with experience (since the device is what the thread is about) to give me an educated, easy and direct answer. I didn't leave the Cary site to come here to ask the question. Instead I get a snarky answer telling me that it was thoroughly explained on their site. Clearly it isn't, if it's only elaborated upon in their FAQ section. Usually the information about a product is with the product and the potential consumer does not have to dig around to find out exactly what the product is and how it works. Any good store, especially online, will make sure you know what they are selling, why you need it and what exactly you need, without having to search through an FAQ section.

Also, the second page is the "Getting Started" section. Why would I read that unless I had the device and was getting started?

So, bottom line, you're just being condescending because you must enjoy it. Typical self-important online forum dick. Hopefully others are as impressed with you as you must be with yourself. See ya.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #31
ray7792
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 35is

Hey,

I recently got carly and was successfully able to change a bunch of things. But the one thing I couldn't get to work was the corner LED delete. I read around on e90post and saw that others also had issues but has anyone here successfully turned off the corner LED with just carly?

I have to say, I find it amazing how many things you're able to change just wow!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #32
distinctperson
Human
Rep

Yes, you are able to do so through iCarly. I finally managed to disable the corner LEDs after some experimenting. I don't remember which option exactly it was, but it was inside the footwell module configs.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #33
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Boy, I don't want this fairly civil pissing contest to end!

I use just the white part with android, after buying 2 other Bluetooth adapters and having them only "kinda" work

popcorn ready

Last edited by Lurcher; 05-22-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #34
ray7792
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 35is

Quote:
Yes, you are able to do so through iCarly. I finally managed to disable the corner LEDs after some experimenting. I don't remember which option exactly it was, but it was inside the footwell module configs.
Thanks, I got to work. It was the sidemarker off and the corner LED off that disabled it
Appreciate 0