New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Question 35i vs 35iS? Comfort Access?

Hi!
I ordered an 35i in december with delivery in beginning of May. Started thinking about an Z4 in Mars last year. Finally when I placed the order the 35iS is on its way. (I still have the option to choose it since production of my ride starts 1st week of Mars) BUT, I would like the 340HP engine but I dont like the new front, neither the back or carbon interior.

But then again in Sweden many of the options I choosed for my 35i are standard in the 35iS. Dont know anything about the Swedish price for an iS either.
But prices of the 23i, 30i and 35i are the same in Germany and Sweden. In Germany the step in price is 56K Euro for the iS and 47K Euro for the 35i.

After a little headcounting if I should choose the iS the difference in price would be about 3400 Euro. Only technical difference would be 340HP/450Tq and the exhaust sound.

I have asked my salesperson if I could get an 35i body and an 35iS engine by mail but I dont think that is possible. Hope to get an answer on Feb 2nd when he comes back.

What to do? Beautiful 35i or powerfull 35iS?

Comfort Access? Do I need that to open the top from outside the car? Or is it only for unlocking and starting? Have to have Anti-theft anyway in Sweden so unlocking will be remote anyway.

Anyone ordered an "universal remote"?

No such things like "Sport package" etc in Sweden, everything is optional!

My ride today:
Black Saphire
Black extended leather
Ash wood lining
18" 294 wheels
DCT
M-suspension
Servotronic
Heated Steeringwheel
El. Sportchairs heated w memory
HiFi Pro
NAV Pro
PDC
Folding Mirrors
Adaptive Headlights
Climate control
Light package
Stove away package
Prepared for CD-changer
Individual Anthracit roof
Theft protection
Wind deflector
USB-connection
Comfort Access

This will be the #4 FINAL configuration. Production started week 9.

Excuse my english
(Black)SHADOW

Last edited by SHADOW4; 03-25-2010 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Changed config again!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

JB3! JB3! JB3! JB3!

Order one of these modules, and you will smoke and 35is!

I have tuned my Z4, power is amazing! For pics and info about jb3 click on my link below.

And you only need comfort access to CLOSE the top from outside the car. Any Z4 you can open the roof with the key...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by godius View Post
JB3! JB3! JB3! JB3!

Order one of these modules, and you will smoke and 35is!

I have tuned my Z4, power is amazing! For pics and info about jb3 click on my link below.

And you only need comfort access to CLOSE the top from outside the car. Any Z4 you can open the roof with the key...
Hi godius, thanks for the info. You really have a black beautie there! Nice wheels!

Would also have liked the ivory white but I have the black in my 320 and its like new after 10 years!

Actually I been following your car for some weeks (here on the forum).

JB3 looks easy, maby too easy. No heating problems?

Some forum says the 35iS comes with an bigger intercooler and oil-cooler. But if you say go for it maby I do after 2500 km.

I think I would regret buying th 35iS because the 35i is very close to perfection. Its clean!
Do you pull it out before service?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

For what you get with the 35is, the price difference does not seem worthwhile.
I may be wrong in this presumption, but the Z4 has never struck me as a "track" car. The 35i will hold its own against 95% of the cars on the road. Enjoy the Beauty of the car knowing that there is a potent Beast under the hood.
      01-31-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Although I just picked up my wife's new Z4 35i (fully equipped) - I have thought about this problem myself. So, let me bore you: start with price - does it matter to you to pay the extra? If it is too much $$$ - then stay with the 35i. If not, now you have a problem. I have the money (at least for things I really want) and I too want the extra power but dislike the rear bumper/valance, dislike greatly the carbon interior, hate the silver mirrors, but love the front bumper. For me I have kept it simple - one of the things I like most about the new Z4 is its timeless elegance, overall class, and amazing lines; the new 35is mirrors, goofed-up rear bumper, and interior carbon just screw up the harmony. So if I were you, I would load up the 35i with all the goodies, put on Eisenmann, Hartge, or similar Exhaust, and opt for a mild ECU tune - that will 1) give you more than the 35is power upgrade you crave, 2) won't ruin the timeless looks of the car with the silver Audi mirrors and garish aborted rear bumper, and 3) you will still probably save a little money on a car that will pass the 35is. I have put my money were my mouth is as my wife's car is having Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Stett Intercooler, mild ESS tune, Stett cold air intake, and some other goodies thrown on this week (pictures to follow of the baddest Z4 stateside (yes I said it).

Last edited by Vintage; 02-01-2010 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW4 View Post
Hi godius, thanks for the info. You really have a black beautie there! Nice wheels!

Would also have liked the ivory white but I have the black in my 320 and its like new after 10 years!

Actually I been following your car for some weeks (here on the forum).

JB3 looks easy, maby too easy. No heating problems?

Some forum says the 35iS comes with an bigger intercooler and oil-cooler. But if you say go for it maby I do after 2500 km.

I think I would regret buying th 35iS because the 35i is very close to perfection. Its clean!
Do you pull it out before service?
No problems at all. I run map 5, which is pretty much the best map they do as far as i know. Just be sure to buy premium petrol.

When i get my first service, i will take out the jb3. but it only takes a few minutes...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
godius Captain Vintage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Captain My Captain View Post
For what you get with the 35is, the price difference does not seem worthwhile.
I may be wrong in this presumption, but the Z4 has never struck me as a "track" car. The 35i will hold its own against 95% of the cars on the road. Enjoy the Beauty of the car knowing that there is a potent Beast under the hood.
Yes Sir Captain Sir! I have slept overnight and I woked up with the beauty of the 35i, so I have made up my mind! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
Although I just picked up my wife's new Z4 35i (fully equipped) - I have thought about this problem myself. So, let me bore you: start with price - does it matter to you to pay the extra? If it is too much $$$ - then stay with the 35i. If not, now you have a problem. I have the money (at least for things I really want) and I too want the extra power but dislike the rear bumper/valance, dislike greatly the carbon interior, hate the silver mirrors, but love the front bumper. For me I have kept it simple - one of the things I like most about the new Z4 is its timeless elegance, overall class, and amazing lines; the new 35is mirrors, goofed-up rear bumper, and interior carbon just screw up the harmony. So if I were you, I would load up the 35i with all the goodies, but Eisenmann, Hartge, or similar Exhaust, and opt for a mild ECU tune - that will 1) give you more than the 35is power upgrade you crave, 2) won't ruin the timeless looks of the car with the silver Audi mirrors and garish aborted rear bumper, and 3) you will still probably save a little money on a car that will pass the 35is. I have put my money were my mouth is as my wife's car is having Eisenmann Race Exhaust, Stett Intercooler, mild ESS tune, Stett cold air intake, and some other goodies thrown on this week (pictures to follow of the baddest Z4 stateside (yes I said it).
I think you are right! Since I first configurated March 2009 I have added options for >10K € things I really dont need but will make the usage more joyfull. And the rear bumper looks like a bolt on! I will go 35i!
Lets see the pics soooooon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godius View Post
No problems at all. I run map 5, which is pretty much the best map they do as far as i know. Just be sure to buy premium petrol.

When i get my first service, i will take out the jb3. but it only takes a few minutes...
My 35i will be a keeper and only driven in the summertime so if I feel I need more power I follow you with the JB3! Do you have an Bavarian Cable? Let us know how the first service went please.

Thankz
Shadow
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
Zayken
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: IX1 30e / f40 118i

Hi shadow4,

I would advise you to go for the Is and then tell us how it feels.:-)

I have the 35i 2 months now and what impresses me here is that I dont see many people say it but the 35i is a soft car all over. Im comparing it with SLK350 272bhp with amg suspension and indeed a girl could easily ride the Z4.

Why do you think they released a version with better suspension and steering ? you think they are not aware of Jb's V3's etc? or that the fact that the engine temperature is an issue?
I assure you that the steering of Z4, with servotronic is the worst ive ever seen fitted to a bmw.. i also assure you that the suspension is soft and not as sport as a 300hp car shoud be(and this is an opinion of at least 5 owners i know).
The sound is also less loud and sporty than benz's 350 V6 and everyboody says that.

I think that here we try to undervalue Z4 35is while according to my point of view it should be an upgrade of Z4 focused where 35i model lacks. and this is HANDLING. suspension,steering,sound... I would be grateful if i would see a brake upgrade but NOOO they want us to freaking out every time the big pedal starting to feel like a soap...

And i think that 35is model is more "evil" in looks than the simple one. a yellow card from me for the silver mirrors(looks like they got the message and they didnt feet the to my2010 335is)

regards dimitris
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Mango Z4 - as for suspension and as much as I love my wife's Z4, I agree with you. I still love the car but I do wish the "sport" setting were the "normal" setting and that the "sport plus" was even firmer. In addition, I really want a big brake kit but mainly for looks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #10
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Question Evil 35iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoZ4 View Post
Hi shadow4,

I would advise you to go for the Is and then tell us how it feels.:-)

I have the 35i 2 months now and what impresses me here is that I dont see many people say it but the 35i is a soft car all over. Im comparing it with SLK350 272bhp with amg suspension and indeed a girl could easily ride the Z4.

Why do you think they released a version with better suspension and steering ? you think they are not aware of Jb's V3's etc? or that the fact that the engine temperature is an issue?
I assure you that the steering of Z4, with servotronic is the worst ive ever seen fitted to a bmw.. i also assure you that the suspension is soft and not as sport as a 300hp car shoud be(and this is an opinion of at least 5 owners i know).
The sound is also less loud and sporty than benz's 350 V6 and everyboody says that.

I think that here we try to undervalue Z4 35is while according to my point of view it should be an upgrade of Z4 focused where 35i model lacks. and this is HANDLING. suspension,steering,sound... I would be grateful if i would see a brake upgrade but NOOO they want us to freaking out every time the big pedal starting to feel like a soap...

And i think that 35is model is more "evil" in looks than the simple one. a yellow card from me for the silver mirrors(looks like they got the message and they didnt feet the to my2010 335is)

regards dimitris
Hi Dimitris,

That is my problem. I like the 60-ies look of the 35i. Very much! ( I will not even change the radio-antenna)
I had an Camaro-67 (402M in 12,2 sec) long time ago and still get sleepless because I sold it!

Yes, they have upgraded suspension and steering on the 35iS.
What I havent figured out if it is the M-suspension that is uppgraded or if they mean its an upgrade because M-suspension is STD?
I guess its all about software regarding suspension and steering. But I dont know
How is the car without servotronic? Anyone know?

As for the looks of the 35i, that is why i wanted it in the first stage.
Saw the pics and just wanted it! Dont get the same feeling with the 35iS!

Same money could get me a new Porche (with handling) here but I never ever wanted a Porsche. They are uggly! Sorry Porsche-people . But probably better.

Still got the option to go 35iS but so far its 35i. Guess it is easier to upgrade stuff that arent visible than to tear the whole car down.
I might be wrong but I got the feeling that the 35i will be an classic!

And still dont know about the Swedish 35iS specs and pricing. My dealer still waiting for it.

Black Shadow

Last edited by SHADOW4; 02-03-2010 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Porsche
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:37 AM   #11
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
Mango Z4 - as for suspension and as much as I love my wife's Z4, I agree with you. I still love the car but I do wish the "sport" setting were the "normal" setting and that the "sport plus" was even firmer. In addition, I really want a big brake kit but mainly for looks.
If I may quote you!

"one of the things I like most about the new Z4 is its timeless elegance, overall class, and amazing lines"

Spot On!

BR
Shadow
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #12
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm dreaming of the 35is! I'll let you know when my dream will come true.

Last edited by rori zahr; 02-03-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0