New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

HPFP problem?

hi guys,

i have some issues with my car and do not know what to belive. i hope it is not what i think.

the story:

some weeks ago i had long cranks and and one time the engine suddenly stopped at the red light!

So i decided to take the car to my dealer.

after 10 days of "i do not know what they did" i got my car back. they said it is nothing serious. they solved the problem with a software update.

few days (3 days i suppose) later i went to another town (salzburg) 200 miles away. on the way back the engine suddenly started stuttering and i got THIS error:

(i know, it is german, but i think it should be clear)

this picture i actually took 1 hour ago after it happened again!!!

the first time it happened i brought the car to the next dealer and they just told me that the problem is that i do not have anough fuel in my tank (had fuel for approx 50 miles).

well, today tank was half full. still not enough fuel???

i am pretty pissed. i do not trust this car any longer. i do not know whether it will bring me home next time or i will stuck in the middle of nowhere. i know about the HPFP problem and i told them the first time i took the car to the dealer. but they act like they never heared about this issue.

Z-Performance///M4: https://www.facebook.com/ZPerformanceM4
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Sure sounds like a fuel pump issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

can't read it but I'm assuming HPFP
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Yep that's your HPFP giving up. Don't let the dealer give you any bull about being unaware of this issue! Take a printout of the official BMW press release (https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2222) to the dealer and demand a new pump!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Yep that's your HPFP giving up. Don't let the dealer give you any bull about being unaware of this issue! Take a printout of the official BMW press release (https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2222) to the dealer and demand a new pump!
yes, i told them. i am afraid they cannot even read this paper.

what a mess!!!! they know that since 2006! if i would have known it i would have never bought this car.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

OP: If you are in Vienna, Austria this debunks the theory that it is bad American fuel that causes this problem.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Ja das ist Deine Hochdruck Benzin Pumpe. Fahre zum Händler.

Yes it is your HPFP bet head for the dealer asp, or park it and find out when the dealer can change the pump.

What a feeling it must be ... some fellows in the German Forum think it is only in the USA ... are they in for a surprise

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///carbon View Post
hi guys,

i have some issues with my car and do not know what to belive. i hope it is not what i think.

the story:

some weeks ago i had long cranks and and one time the engine suddenly stopped at the red light!

So i decided to take the car to my dealer.

after 10 days of "i do not know what they did" i got my car back. they said it is nothing serious. they solved the problem with a software update.

few days (3 days i suppose) later i went to another town (salzburg) 200 miles away. on the way back the engine suddenly started stuttering and i got THIS error:

(i know, it is german, but i think it should be clear)

this picture i actually took 1 hour ago after it happened again!!!

the first time it happened i brought the car to the next dealer and they just told me that the problem is that i do not have anough fuel in my tank (had fuel for approx 50 miles).

well, today tank was half full. still not enough fuel???

i am pretty pissed. i do not trust this car any longer. i do not know whether it will bring me home next time or i will stuck in the middle of nowhere. i know about the HPFP problem and i told them the first time i took the car to the dealer. but they act like they never heared about this issue.

This is a direct translation of your iDrive Screen;

Motor fault! Performance degradation

Engine malfunction

Full engine power no longer available. Continued driving
is possible. Moderate driving. Have it checked at the nearest
BMW Service Centre.

(I corrected some of the bad translation so glad I have no iDrive so I don't have to read all that crap )

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 10-27-2010 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yes, i told them. i am afraid they cannot even read this paper.

what a mess!!!! they know that since 2006! if i would have known it i would have never bought this car.
you do know that you can translate anything on line use Google

then copy and paste ...

or web sites even copy the link into the Google Translator then

translate from any language to another ...

Just like I did here CLICK

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
OP: If you are in Vienna, Austria this debunks the theory that it is bad American fuel that causes this problem.
i am in vienna... so, it is a general problem i use only 100 okt fuel. it is excluded that the fuel is responsible for the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Ja das ist Deine Hochdruck Benzin Pumpe. Fahre zum Händler.

Yes it is your HPFP bet head for the dealer asp, or park it and find out when the dealer can change the pump.

What a feeling it must be ... some fellows in the German Forum think it is only in the USA ... are they in for a surprise

the car is parked at my dealer. i drove it right there. tomorrow morning i will pay a visit and tell them to fix that.

however. i am sick of it. ii bought the car in may and altogether almost 1 month it was in service because of different problems i had with the car and now this surprise!!!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i am in vienna... so, it is a general problem i use only 100 okt fuel. it is excluded that the fuel is responsible for the problem.

the car is parked at my dealer. i drove it right there. tomorrow morning i will pay a visit and tell them to fix that.

however. i am sick of it. ii bought the car in may and altogether almost 1 month it was in service because of different problems i had with the car and now this surprise!!!
You my friend are not alone, I also got my car in May this year and so far had 2 rear wheels crack on me ... peek into my garage for photos. CLICK to see the wheel crack

Good luck in the Morning and stand your ground, remind them who the Customer is, some people seam to forget this so important fact.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
You my friend are not alone, I also got my car in May this year and so far had 2 rear wheels crack on me ... peek into my garage for photos. CLICK to see the wheel crack

Good luck in the Morning and stand your ground, remind them who the Customer is, some people seam to forget this so important fact.
thank you sir!!! i know your story. this is a mess as well.

i'll keep you updated!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I think the problem is not necessarily a default in the HPFP...
If I understood correctly, you said the 1st time you had this problem, you had enough gas for 50 miles. Did you mean 50 KM? I am assuming as well that you got these 50 miles/km from your clock reader (in your case digital number on your idrive)
BMW Fuel pump is sensitive whether it is an N54 or N52/N53... engine... I had the same problem on my E46; once your pump tries to suck fuel and there is no fuel in your bas tank, the FP dies and the problems with it starts... I had it replaced, and wanted to test this theory I've been given... Run an empty tank, 4 months later, and yes, had the exact same problem...

Your problem might not be the same problem the guys in the US are having!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

The US petrol related pump issue is a myth. Here in Greece most modified biturbos, 335 mainly, have had the hpfp changed. Don't know about the stock ones, there shouldn't be as many .
///carbon have you piggy/reflashed the ecu?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 05:00 AM   #15
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
I think the problem is not necessarily a default in the HPFP...
If I understood correctly, you said the 1st time you had this problem, you had enough gas for 50 miles. Did you mean 50 KM? I am assuming as well that you got these 50 miles/km from your clock reader (in your case digital number on your idrive)
BMW Fuel pump is sensitive whether it is an N54 or N52/N53... engine... I had the same problem on my E46; once your pump tries to suck fuel and there is no fuel in your bas tank, the FP dies and the problems with it starts... I had it replaced, and wanted to test this theory I've been given... Run an empty tank, 4 months later, and yes, had the exact same problem...

Your problem might not be the same problem the guys in the US are having!!
it was 90 km.

and it happened 2 times now.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #16
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
The US petrol related pump issue is a myth. Here in Greece most modified biturbos, 335 mainly, have had the hpfp changed. Don't know about the stock ones, there shouldn't be as many .
///carbon have you piggy/reflashed the ecu?
car is completely stock. just the exhaust is changed. but i cannot belive that it affects the engine tho...

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #17
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
it was 90 km.

and it happened 2 times now.
It happened twice on the same pump... You will certainly need to change it... In my experience it will keep on happening, cause when the pump run on dry, game over for the pump, and you will need a new one...
My point is that might not be necessarily the same problem the guys in the US are having...
As far as you are concerned, I guess your best bet is to lash at BMW (your area) and have them change your HPFP...
**Hint: Ask for the supervisor to talk to, sometimes these new entry guys try to take initiative and make decisions on their own...**
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #18
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep

hi guys,

i have news. had my car repaired today. i picked it up after 5 days. they told me the HPFP has been replaced.

so this is the proof that not the fuel is responsible!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Quote:
hi guys,

i have news. had my car repaired today. i picked it up after 5 days. they told me the HPFP has been replaced.

so this is the proof that not the fuel is responsible!!!
Glad your car is fixed. I hope your new HPFP will perform better but don't bet on it.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #20
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
Glad your car is fixed. I hope your new HPFP will perform better but don't bet on it.
thank you. now it is working fine again but for how long?

has anyone an idea whether they have developed a new pump or it is the same garbage again???

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #21
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
BMW is on their sixth part number for the pump. I don't think they have found the ultimate fix yet. Did the dealer update the software on the car? Do you feel any differences? My worst fear of the US recall is that they just slap some new software in there that drops performance and only prolongs the inevitable failure.
Quote:
has anyone an idea whether they have developed a new pump or it is the same garbage again???
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #22
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
BMW is on their sixth part number for the pump. I don't think they have found the ultimate fix yet. Did the dealer update the software on the car? Do you feel any differences? My worst fear of the US recall is that they just slap some new software in there that drops performance and only prolongs the inevitable failure.
well, after i went there the first time they told me they did a software update. car handling and power was SH*T. i knew about the fact that they lower power just to protect the pump from feilure. and i could not belive that they did that to me too... but now, it is a MONSTER again.

it sreams it shouts. it is just AWESOME again. i just love it.

i hope that it will last a while!

Appreciate 0