New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
robertd33
Rep
Drives: 2013 is

cleaning wheels

evidently the previous owner didn't think you needed to clean the inside of the wheels. took me 3 hours each. got the rears cleaned today, hope to do the fronts tomorrow.

ended up using a wheel cleaner & green dishwashing scotch-brite pad. tried 7 different chemicals rubbing with a rag & none worked. applied a heavy coat of wax afterward. don't want to do this again anytime soon!

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Always looks better when you take the time to do that. I have to admit, I don't do it often enough. Those damned calipers get in the way! BTW, you need to post smaller pics.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
robertd33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Always looks better when you take the time to do that. I have to admit, I don't do it often enough. Those damned calipers get in the way! BTW, you need to post smaller pics.
looks ok to me. get a bigger monitor
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
robertd33
Rep

fronts done today... this sucked.
but does look tons better!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:46 AM   #5
sjeupie
Private
Rep
Drives: Tiefseeblau E89 Sdrive 23i wit

The fun gets even better with style 293 rims.... :\
Btw, I noticed my rear wheels get dirty much faster than the fronts. Remarkable since my understanding of basic physics would make the front brakes work harder...? You guys got that too?
Could be that there are different pads mounted at the rear, that the rear is set up to brake harder to balance for the front, that traction control kicks in continuosly....but it al seems a bit odd to me?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

The rear get a lot if dust due to the e-diff which pretty much applies brake to one wheel to maintain traction, as opposed to traditional mechanical different which use clutch packs or gears.

In fact I had my rear pads replaced not too long ago, but the fronts are still original...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
Nice job! It is a pain in the ass, but cleaning them well each time you wash the car is a big help. I use wheel woolies (different sizes) to reach all the way through. Usually about twice a year I completely remove them and clean them on the inside as well, and then a coat of Wheel Wax.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeupie View Post
The fun gets even better with style 293 rims.... :\
Btw, I noticed my rear wheels get dirty much faster than the fronts. Remarkable since my understanding of basic physics would make the front brakes work harder...? You guys got that too?
Could be that there are different pads mounted at the rear, that the rear is set up to brake harder to balance for the front, that traction control kicks in continuosly....but it al seems a bit odd to me?
I'd guess you're right about the pads. A few years ago I installed a set of ceramic front pads on my 330i and left OE on the rear. It pretty much only gets the rear wheels dirty at all now...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 04:59 AM   #9
yt851128
Rep
Drives: e89 z4

for some reason, on the rear pads, there arent any ceramic ones for sale from the auto part store. only the semi metalic ones which are more expensive then the front ceramic ones. (I changed the pads myself)

as to cleaning, it would kill me to go through it like you did. too lazy to do it.
but i have the wheels off and plasti-dipped them in carbon black color. so it doesnt really show that it is covered by brake dust.
you should try it too. if dont like it, it peels right off.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #10
Raf83
Rep
Drives: z4 convertible

wish i had a pressure washer, doing it by hand is a weekly job tedious and time consuming
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #11
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Pressure washer won't help - tar has high adhesion. I would not use any form of abrasive pad. The finish on factory BMW wheels are already pretty thin.
  • Use a tooth brush on the face, and a fingernail brush on the back. Nothing more aggressive. Remember, brushes work because of their bristle tips, so use gently - don't deform the bristles by pushing the brush like it is a scraper.
  • To dissolve the tar, buy some Naphtha, which is what is used to prep cars prior to painting. Naphtha will not damage paint, and will dissolve the tar.
    [Any sticky tar or bugs on the body, you can safely wipe with Naphtha. In fact, take a clean paper towel with a bit of Naphtha and wipe the rocker and body panel area behind the wheels - bet it doesn't come back clean :-) (make sure you wax after using Naphtha on any surface, as it removes wax and any other protectant). BTW on the body you can use the same gentle brushes for stubborn tar or bugs.]
  • Alternatively Kerosene.
  • If you have stubborn stuff, make a small paper towel pad, soak it, and sit it on the spot for a while. It will all soften and clean to new.
  • Though more expensive in aerosol cans, if you can't get the above at a box store, Bug & Tar Remover will do about the same.

Obviously a coat of wax will help abate adhesion for some time after. Unfortunately the stock wheels "show through" so really the insides need cleaning. My 35i came with M-sport wheels (not 35is) and thankfully could be simply cleaned on the car, as they had not been abused. But they are in the garage now with PSS tires as I contemplate selling them.

Filippo

Last edited by fmorelli; 09-25-2016 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #12
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

+1 on the wheel woolies. They really help get the inside of the wheels while on the vehicle. I have tried all kinds of wheel tools and the best combo I have found is a boars hair brush for the wheel face and the wheel woolies for the inside.

Still need to take them off periodically though for a deep clean.
Appreciate 0