New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Top won't close...frustrated

So last night I went out and had a good 20km drive with the top down. When I got there I closed the top with no problems. When I left, I again opened the top with no problems. When I got home and attempted to put the top back up, it only went about 1/3 way and now its just stuck in that position.

Basically the trunk is lifted but the entire 2 piece roof is sitting inside the trunk. I was able to reach in and make sure the cover thing is securely latched down but I didn't suspect that was the problem anyway since I have used the top 3 times that night without that issue.

The top open button just blinks. When I go to press the top open button, the top close button goes on. Then I press the top close button and nothing happens. When I press either button, the cabin lights and cluster dim a little as if power is being pulled. Also note that the engine is running whenever I operate the top.

So now I'm stuck at this position and the top will neither open nor close. The fuse isn't the problem as I've also checked. I doubt its a battery issue as I've had it running for some time and now I'm just thinking what other options I have aside from bringing it to a shop for diagnostics and handing over an organ of their choice.

Any ideas guys?
      10-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

It's likely a sensor failure or worst case the pump.

Either way I thinks it's a dealer job.

Mine is going in tomorrow for them to look at why it's jerking when closing.

Next car isn't going to be convertible!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 02:32 AM   #3
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Unfortunately I feel the same way.
      10-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

Trunk partition?

Check the trunk partition. If the sensor was just marginally making contact the vibrations could have dislodged it. It happened to me once this way.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
airmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW Z4,'14 BMW X3, '17 X1

Check to see that there is nothing lodged in the moving parts. This happened to me once. Something in the trunk was moving around and ended up getting caught in the mechanism arms. I removed the offender and top was fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
It's likely a sensor failure or worst case the pump.

Either way I thinks it's a dealer job.

Mine is going in tomorrow for them to look at why it's jerking when closing.

Conversely, I can't imagine living without a convertible.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Conversely, I can't imagine living without a convertible.
Having one is one thing.. having one that's problematic is another.

These cars are IMHO far too complex and with that there are so many things that can go wrong.. and have in my case. I've learned my lesson and the next car will be simpler.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Having one is one thing.. having one that's problematic is another.

These cars are IMHO far too complex and with that there are so many things that can go wrong.. and have in my case. I've learned my lesson and the next car will be simpler.
I understand your concerns, but good luck finding a "simpler" car. There's nothing out there that isn't a jumble of computers nowadays. BMW doesn't have a lock on complexity. I guess a non-convertible would be simpler but what about all the other issues you've had? I think you just got a bad build like a few other people on here.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, have you tried pressing the open button, and let the trunk lid close up all the way?

Once I opened the roof, and then noticed there were some small raindrops coming so I tried to close the roof mid cycle, and I got the red blinking error light. I had to complete the open cycle, and then I could do the close cycle normally. It is a bit of a long shot, but I hope it helps.

Also, if you are able to properly open the roof at least you can drive the car into the dealer, rather than having it on a flatbed with the trunk partly open

The complexity almost makes the manually operating soft tops of yester-year appealing eh?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
Ramjet
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

mine is 5 years old and only now having a similar error. i'm sure a good service will fix it. i'm very happy with the vert!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
good luck finding a "simpler" car. There's nothing out there that isn't a jumble of computers nowadays.
+1

The surprises on other cars can be even nastier than what we have experienced in the E89 (i.e. C7 z51 losing engines from bad oil filters, 987.1 boxster/cayman having power steering overheat and oil starvation issues, E46 M3 bearing issues, 996 rear main seal, etc etc etc)

All cars have an Achilles' heel, and the internet has way of magnifying these issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
OP, have you tried pressing the open button, and let the trunk lid close up all the way?

Once I opened the roof, and then noticed there were some small raindrops coming so I tried to close the roof mid cycle, and I got the red blinking error light. I had to complete the open cycle, and then I could do the close cycle normally. It is a bit of a long shot, but I hope it helps.

Also, if you are able to properly open the roof at least you can drive the car into the dealer, rather than having it on a flatbed with the trunk partly open

The complexity almost makes the manually operating soft tops of yester-year appealing eh?
Tried. It won't open or close. Both buttons do nothing and it's still stuck in the position where the trunk lid is saying hi to everyone. Drove it to a near by shop to see what's going on and since it was the weekend, it'll be sitting there till Monday.

I'm also sure that there's nothing in the trunk and I've tried releasing and attaching the partition again with no luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
It's likely a sensor failure ...
I have seen this happen on another Z i was goign to purchase. It wnet down but wouldnt come back up. red light just blinked. It was a sensor that was the fairlure.
      10-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Meh well they've decided they can't do anything about my roof closing with a loud bump. They say its similar to those they have in the car park/lot. It isn't but perhaps its just an age of car/seasonal thing as its not doing it quite so much at the moment. They said there's no adjustment for that sort of thing, which I know there is a shim kit but the dealer says no. Whatever, I guess as usual I'll sort it myself somehow. On the flip side while there they said the alternator is failing so they've ordered a new one for fitment in a few weeks time. Damned expensive figures they quoted me too so I'm glad I have insured warranty, it will still cost me a couple of hundred but it would have been four times my excess if I'd paid for it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Tried. It won't open or close. Both buttons do nothing and it's still stuck in the position where the trunk lid is saying hi to everyone. Drove it to a near by shop to see what's going on and since it was the weekend, it'll be sitting there till Monday.

I'm also sure that there's nothing in the trunk and I've tried releasing and attaching the partition again with no luck.
Dang. It is probably the sensor. Sorry man....

I broke the partition cover on my car so I'm having roof issues too... Hope you get it fixed soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #16
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

Can you let us know how it turned out? Some of us might find this information useful in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #17
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Well it is not the sensor so gonna be a cluster fxxk of bad news this point forward as we found oil all over the trunk, presumably some sort of hydraulic hose burst. Not sure if related but the red positive of the battery is burnt and luckily a fire didn't start.

Back order parts will probably take a good 6 to 8 weeks. I hope this bill stays under $2k usd.

I'll report again once I get more info as I still haven't gone to the shop to see what's up.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #18
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Ouch.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Ouch indeed. That's the third one I've heard of that's gone like this.

Good luck op!

For me, I'll be sticking with the insured warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Well it is not the sensor so gonna be a cluster fxxk of bad news this point forward as we found oil all over the trunk, presumably some sort of hydraulic hose burst. Not sure if related but the red positive of the battery is burnt and luckily a fire didn't start.

Back order parts will probably take a good 6 to 8 weeks. I hope this bill stays under $2k usd.

I'll report again once I get more info as I still haven't gone to the shop to see what's up.
Dang. Makes my broken luggage partition seem like a trivial issue. Hope it stays in that cost OP. Service advisor was commiserating with me that he has to deliver a lot of bad new$ for convertible tops. Comes with the turf I guess?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Yeah sad news is I've been trying to sell this car for several months now and this happens. For the 3 years I've had it, I've only driven roughly 10k kms on it. I question myself everyday why I got this car in the first place lol. Oh well, shit happens.
      10-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #22
Ramjet
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

Took my car into BMW today as was getting an error when closing the top - would stop when half way closed with an error saying there was an obstruction detected.

Found it to be that insulation had rubbed off on one of the wires (after 5 years of daily roof operation) that run between the roof sections (right hand side) so that when the roof was in that position it could earth, giving a false signal that there was a problem.

Easy fix for the BMW guys to repair the wire. Roof working perfect again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0