New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Z4 E89 Appreciation Thread

After 2 years of Ownership I would like to point out the positive things of my beloved Z4:

-Reliability *knocking on wood* I havent got any problems with transmission, engine, electronics, nothing! The car still seems to me sturdy as hell, no rattling, vibrations, knocking.

-Interior looks good as new, even though I have probably one of the most sensitive colorchoices (Design Pure White) the leather seats and dash show no sign of aging or abrasion (I take care of it once a year with COLORLOCK products)

-It is very very rare (In 2 years I have not seen a single one in my area, the only time I saw some of them was when I were in Munich) which gives it apparently some kind of "Luxury" touch. Pedestrians react very positive on its appearance and it turns heads on every corner

-The eninge: The 2,5 I6 is supersmooth, I manage to drive it with 30-35 mpg even though I am commuting - which is a great return I think - and delivers more than enough power: If you know how to work the 6 gear manual transmission you are able to annoy some of the stronger cars like I did with the 650i Convertible with automatic tranny yesterday (yeah I know the E63 is a boat but still - 370HP) Out of 3 attempts - I managed to smoke him all 3 times in a 0-60 drag with about 2 carlengths between us

-The Handling: Well it inherits the typical BMW intensity, but I suppose once the RFT are gone it will improve even more. This car feels home on curvy mountain roads and it grips and handles fantastic.

-The Sound: Raspy, cultivated and screaming - I fall in love again every time I come to a tunnel, plus lately I receive some grumpy plopping when rolling, I guess I´ve "broken in" the exhaust.

I would definetly buy it again, there is nothing I would change!

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

My story is very different as many know, but I'm happy someone has had a trouble free experience with this model of car. I still love mine, despite all the issues, and its still going to be very hard to let go when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

My Z4 has been running quite flawlessly also after two years.
Overall I've been really satisfied with several things:
1) Fuel economy
2) Still haven't lost once with the ESS
3) Great balance of sport and comfort in a 2 seater
4) Love the DCT
5) 2 cars in 1, sometimes forget that its a convertible
6) Love to turn everything off and have a bit of fun with the tail on tight mountain roads
7) Great DD with adequate trunk space
8) Wife likes it more than I do
      09-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I love this thread. For once let's praise the car rather than pick on it for every little detail that bugs our anal retentive personalities!

After 2 years, I too have had no major problems. I can't imagine owning another car and getting the same kind of enjoyment, for all the reasons stated above.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I've had a few issues here and there, but all covered under warranty. There's sometimes a slight rattle on the trim behind the driver's seat. And fuel efficiency isn't spectacular (~16 mpg, all city). But despite all the niggles, I still love mine. IMHO, it's the most beautiful car in BMW's current lineup. And the fact that it's so uncommon gives it that air of exclusivity.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
IMHO, it's the most beautiful car in BMW's current lineup. And the fact that it's so uncommon gives it that air of exclusivity.
This is my favorite part about the Z4. The car actually makes me feel better when I'm driving it. This era of the Z4 isn't as driver focused as the Z4/3 and came before it but personally I love the direction BMW went with this car. It's such a special car.

Mine has been mostly trouble free. The biggest problems besides the 296 issue was the radio being replaced. One thing I need to get in the habit of is oiling the seals.
      09-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Actually I don't realise how gorgeous it is to look at until someone else drives it. I was considering trading it for a new Lexus IS and the sales guy drove the 35i around the lot and I looked at it thinking, WTF am I doing!?! (plus the sound was awesome)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Actually I don't realise how gorgeous it is to look at until someone else drives it. I was considering trading it for a new Lexus IS and the sales guy drove the 35i around the lot and I looked at it thinking, WTF am I doing!?! (plus the sound was awesome)
That is so true. I sometimes let my sons drive it and I love to watch it approach and go. And it def sounds different when you're outside the car. I really like the exhaust sound.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
+1
I rarely see another one on the road and when I do, it's as if I suddenly realize, 'man, that's one good-looking car!' LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I got one of the early DSB/napa-white "launch" vehicles as they were called at the time. Since then, anything that wasn't perfect was fixed before it ever affected me. No rattles, electrical gremlins, engine ot DCT issues of any sort. Solid as a rock from day one. One of the lucky ones I suppose. I always wondered if they were just a little more careful building those initial DSB 35i and Black 30 runs since they had a lot riding on those as potential demo's at the time. Still, I went for the extended warranty for the continued piece of mind.

I still love it like I did on day one.... maybe more... But.... I only have about 15K miles on it so I might not be the best to judge. The top is down 99.9% of the time and it pretty much only goes out on perfect days.. still, every mile has been a real treat.

Only mod I have is the updated side markers (the originals never looked quite right to me). I tried the shorty antenna but I went back to the original one after a month.... Oh ya, the Micheline Pilots can't be under appreciated..

I see an average of almost of 1 a year in the wild. I think that's good. I think the car became a classic the day it was released.

lastly, the discussions and heads up info from this forum have really made the whole experience just that much better. Thank you to all you contributors.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E89Tardis View Post
I got one of the early DSB/napa-white "launch" vehicles as they were called at the time. Since then, anything that wasn't perfect was fixed before it ever affected me. No rattles, electrical gremlins, engine ot DCT issues of any sort. Solid as a rock from day one. One of the lucky ones I suppose. I always wondered if they were just a little more careful building those initial DSB 35i and Black 30 runs since they had a lot riding on those as potential demo's at the time. Still, I went for the extended warranty for the continued piece of mind.

I still love it like I did on day one.... maybe more... But.... I only have about 15K miles on it so I might not be the best to judge. The top is down 99.9% of the time and it pretty much only goes out on perfect days.. still, every mile has been a real treat.

Only mod I have is the updated side markers (the originals never looked quite right to me). I tried the shorty antenna but I went back to the original one after a month.... Oh ya, the Micheline Pilots can't be under appreciated..

I see an average of almost of 1 a year in the wild. I think that's good. I think the car became a classic the day it was released.

lastly, the discussions and heads up info from this forum have really made the whole experience just that much better. Thank you to all you contributors.
Pretty amazing that your weren't plagued by HPFP problems. That has nothing to do with build quality; it was a bad part.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Alpha_Zulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is, Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
That is so true. I sometimes let my sons drive it and I love to watch it approach and go. And it def sounds different when you're outside the car. I really like the exhaust sound.
I always catch myself looking at my own car's reflection in other car's bumpers/doors as I'm passing them. I think to myself, "Damn that car looks sexy..."
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Pretty amazing that your weren't plagued by HPFP problems. That has nothing to do with build quality; it was a bad part.
Thanks to this forum, I knew the problem, I knew the fix. and I was able to specify the correct part number for the dealer to order before I brought it in. Big headache averted because of this forum. (And a very good dealer).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Like some in this forum, we have had more difficulty than most; however, all but two were related to BMWNA wrecking the car in port after making it stateside from our ED experience. Eventually it was replaced with a 2010 model that we are still in love with after 34k miles of driving. That 2010 car has had the 296 wheel problem and HPFP failure. Despite all of that, the car is now paid off and retired to our 3rd car, which we plan on keeping for a very very long time.

It is 1) gorgeous, 2) rare, even in the US, 3) fast, 4) topless, and 5) black!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Fully agree. To paraphrase:
It is 1) gorgeous, 2) rare, even in Canada, 3) fast, 4) topless, and 5) red!

We only have 20,000 kms on our Z4, and have not experienced any major problems. The HPFP was replaced under recall before it failed, and we had to have the audio amp replaced as it was acting strange. Every year, our Z4 gets an oil change whether it needs it or not, and that's about it. The warranty runs out in about two months, but I'm (perhaps naively) not worried. Pure Joy!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
Alpha_Zulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is, Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post

I couldn't agree more. I always get looks when I'm driving through the city or parking the vehicle in a parking lot. I love when I part right in front of a Starbucks and as I'm getting out, everyone's trying not to stare but I catch them anyways.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
I just did my last free maintenance for oil change, microfilter, brake fluid change, and wiper blades today. My car is going on 4 years on October 28, 2013. I only had the fuel pump issue during my 1st year of ownership. No other issues (knock on wood).

This roadster continues to put a smile on my face every time I get in and drive! Paid off and the love affair continues.

I plan to get a vinyl wrap for a color change....
Attached Images

09-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpnout View Post
I plan to get a vinyl wrap for a color change....
okay flpnout, considering you have the nicest e89 on the planet, I will trust you with this "color change" desire but I will be watching nervously . . . .
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Hi Vintage! Thanks for the compliments! I've been indecisive on the color. I was suppose to have had this done a few months ago. Every time I make an appointment and show up at the vinyl place, I change my mind. Who knows, I may never do it at this rate. lol
      09-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
MalibuZ4
Breakfast Director
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive23i (E89)

Amen brother. After several X3, 3-series etc. I am totally happy with my 2 Z4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRR1000S View Post
After 2 years of Ownership I would like to point out the positive things of my beloved Z4:

-Reliability *knocking on wood* I havent got any problems with transmission, engine, electronics, nothing! The car still seems to me sturdy as hell, no rattling, vibrations, knocking.

-Interior looks good as new, even though I have probably one of the most sensitive colorchoices (Design Pure White) the leather seats and dash show no sign of aging or abrasion (I take care of it once a year with COLORLOCK products)

-It is very very rare (In 2 years I have not seen a single one in my area, the only time I saw some of them was when I were in Munich) which gives it apparently some kind of "Luxury" touch. Pedestrians react very positive on its appearance and it turns heads on every corner

-The eninge: The 2,5 I6 is supersmooth, I manage to drive it with 30-35 mpg even though I am commuting - which is a great return I think - and delivers more than enough power: If you know how to work the 6 gear manual transmission you are able to annoy some of the stronger cars like I did with the 650i Convertible with automatic tranny yesterday (yeah I know the E63 is a boat but still - 370HP) Out of 3 attempts - I managed to smoke him all 3 times in a 0-60 drag with about 2 carlengths between us

-The Handling: Well it inherits the typical BMW intensity, but I suppose once the RFT are gone it will improve even more. This car feels home on curvy mountain roads and it grips and handles fantastic.

-The Sound: Raspy, cultivated and screaming - I fall in love again every time I come to a tunnel, plus lately I receive some grumpy plopping when rolling, I guess I´ve "broken in" the exhaust.

I would definetly buy it again, there is nothing I would change!

2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive23i; Mojave/Havanna; pure-white nappa trim; BMW Performance wheels 313 19" (garage queen)
2005 BMW Z4 2.0i black sapphire metallic (dd)
1967 Volkswagen 1300 (Bug) survivor 50k mls (garage queen II)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

For me, cruising with the roof down never gets old.

It is a ton of fun and I when I am cruising on the highway with no one around I can't help but brake to slow down, downshift then floor it to get back to the same speed just to hear the drivetrain do its thing.
Appreciate 0