New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

How to kill the rattles from your iDrive

I've finally had enough of the rattles from my iDrive, hunted them down, and destroyed them. If you also have those rattles hopefully this will help:

Tools needed:
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Stubby T20 Torx driver or tool that lets you get it into confined spaces
  • Trim Pry tool

Materials needed:
[LIST][*]Self-adhesive felt sheet

Here's the tool I used for some of the Torx screws that a regular driver won't be able to reach

The felt you'll need for the job. I bought this 2-pack from Hobby Lobby for under $2 and it's enough to do this job dozens of times.

This job is best done from the passenger seat.

STEP 1

Use your trim pry tool to gently pull the radio trim out on both sides. Pull it straight out and set aside.

STEP 2

Pull out the trim around the key slot. I was able to simply grab this and pull it out with my fingers.

STEP 3

Unscrew 4 phillips screws securing radio in place and pull the radio straight back. With the manual shifter in 6th gear I had enough room to pull this out and set it on the driver's seat and console securely without unplugging it.

STEP 4

Remove 3 Torx screws from under the front lip of the dash trim above the key slot and radio. There are 3 more which can be found by opening the glove compartment; they're the ones holding the white tabs in place. Pop dash trim out of place and let it rest on the glove compartment door and hang in front of the radio spot. There's no need to unplug anything.

STEP 5

Remove 2 Torx screws securing center vents and pull vents straight out.

STEP 6

Note the cable bundle between the HVAC ducts. when putting the center vents back in place be sure this isn't in front of a duct.

STEP 7

Use your trim tool to gently pry up the center speaker cover. Pull cover off and set aside without unplugging anything.

STEP 8

Remove 4 Torx screws holding screen in place.

STEP 9

Apply strips of felt to indicated locations to prevent the screen unit from rattling against dash. The screen can be pulled out quite a ways without needing to disconnect. Image shows the back of the screen unit.

STEP 10

This gap right here is the biggest culprit.

STEP 11

Cut out a strip of felt about a half inch (12mm) wide and 4 inches (100mm) long. Peel back a little more than half of the backing and cut the felt to be about a third of its original length while leaving the backing uncut.

STEP 12

Fold the backing over behind the felt so it's showing past the felt while not exposing any adhesive.

STEP 13

Gently pull the hinge away from the screen and slide the felt in place just in front of the hinge. Push it in far enough to be hidden but leaving the backing still showing where you can grab it. Now hold the felt in place (a flathead screwdriver or other item can help here) while pulling the backing straight up. This should let you stick the felt in place where you can't slide it with the adhesive already exposed.

STEP 14

This is what the felt should look like when you're done. You can see a little bit showing in this image. You can trim it if you want but it really won't be visible unless you're really looking for it. Cycle the screen open and closed a few times to make sure the felt stays in place and that there's no binding. If you use too much or too thick of felt the binding can cause the display to not even attempt to close occasionally.

STEP 15

Reassembly: Everything goes back in the reverse order as it came out. Just be sure the tabs are aligned before you push parts in place and it'll go back together very easily.
Appreciate 4
      12-15-2016, 06:08 AM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Excellent write up. Thanks for taking the time

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Rattle in my idrive came back this week. Quick squirt of silicon on the gears and the rattle has gone.
The gears can be seen in the right side gap and seem to have a lot of clearance, hence the rattle.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4

FINALLY someone posts pictures of how to remove the climate control!

Last edited by cruisingdownthestreet; 12-15-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quality submission! Well done
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
omar_bmw
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi mate, can you send me an e-bay link of what you used?

I am having this issue.

Thanks is advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
Rattle in my idrive came back this week. Quick squirt of silicon on the gears and the rattle has gone.
The gears can be seen in the right side gap and seem to have a lot of clearance, hence the rattle.
Appreciate 0