New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

03-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
nuebbes
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i e89 + 125i e88

The N-Front

Hey,

most of us know the question of taste – which font-bumper looks better – the M-Front or the normal-Front?

A good portion of the Z4 drivers normally choose the retrofitting of the M-Front, when they want to enhance the e89-design.

Me too! I’ve already bought a used M-Front, which will be painted and installed within the next weeks (before spring).

For me, the M-Front looks visually more attractive than the regular, normal front-bumper does.

But why? If you take the drawings of the Z4 as a basis, you can directly see the definite intension from the designers for a clear and strict silhouette and contours, which repeats in V-design consecutively.
This design looks very harmonious – the structures and edges are following definite lines and recur especially at the front vehicle in the bonnet, the lights down to the lower part of the front-bumper. In my opinion this looks even much better than the x-form of the M-front, which does not follow the contours:

Everybody knows that car-concepts are never converted 1 by 1 to the serial design – and the Z4 is already very close to the concept study!
On closer examination of the normal front-bumper I recognized that this bumper has additional design potential.

BMW shook the front design up negatively because of two very simple parts:

1. BMW uses at the high-power motorizations silver application of the outer air inlet grille, which draws the complete attention to this part.

2. BMW interrupts the above mentioned design lines and does not paint the covers between the grilles in car-colour. Because of this, there arises a too wide „yap“.

For me, the lower part of the bumper ruins the complete front view because of these two parts.

Unfortunately I’ve not seen any Z4 which has enhanced these two parts on the “n”ormal-front-bumper, yet.
Because of that I name the result of my minimal changes “N”-Front. In my opinion the complete front-view looks different (better) because of these two small changes.

With a total amount of only 30 Euro, the initial great design of the concept study is rudimentary realizable.

In my opinion the „N“-Front looks much more harmonious, more elegant and more sporty than the normal front, but not so sporty like the M-Front does.
But the M-Front does not consort with all colour-/ and wheel-combinations.

If I wouldn’t have a bargain for retrofitting the M-Front, I would have been totally satisfied with the N-Front.

I hope you like the N-Front. Perhaps someone will do the same design changes now?
If there was someone who did these changes before, I reinvented the wheel but gave it a name…
If you don’t like the changes, it is like at all things – each to his own!

Cheers from Cologne,
Phil
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
if u like regular front more and u made a pretty convincing argument...why did you get the m-sport? just to be part of the crowd?

IMO M sport gives it more agressive look which i prefer.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
nuebbes
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i e89 + 125i e88

Because the M-Front will look better with my upcoming summer wheels...

But in my opinion both look good -> M- and N-bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I am sticking with the OEM F Bumper after comparing the cost of some easy mods vs the M series Bumper cost. I have made and will be finishing in the spring these relatively inexpensive mods to make the F OEM bumper flow better. To get rid of the silver inserts on the lower grill I removed them and I CF wrapped them in gloss black CF. To break up all the black on the lower total grill surface and look more like the M Front bumper, which is all the same color as the body, the next step this spring, (next month) I am having the black plastic sections that separate the outer and middle grill painted the body color- Space Gray Metallic. Here are some pics: OEM and CF Wrapped grills BUT before paint.
Attached Images

2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0