New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
jrothstein
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Newbie with Wheel Questions

So, I'll be taking delivery of a 30i with M sport package at the beginning of August. It will come with the 325M wheels. I really want to swap out the wheels for something sexier asap, but I am at a total loss concerning what exactly is the level of importance concerning such things as width and offsets. Do they need to be exact? If not, what's the tolerance level for deviating from the factory wheel offsets and width? What impact if any does deviating from the factory spec wheels have, if any?

Also,

1) If the car is leased, does changing out the rims for aftermarket non BMW made wheels effect the warranty or violate any lease terms?

2) Do I have to have the new wheels installed at a BMW service center, or I can I get any Joe Blow mechanic or discount tire do it?

For instance, I'm looking at some replica wheels that are 18X8 and 18X9 with +35/+42 offsets. The factory wheels are 18X8 and 18X8.5 and based upon forum research +33 offsets. So, in the realm of widths and offsets, what is the tolerance and impact of deviating from the OEM values?

Sorry for the newb questions and thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Lewis@MWDesign
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.5i 6spd

1) no changing to aftermarket wheels would not void any warranty unless the wheels somehow have fitment issues and affects the car's chassis

2) just find a reputable tire shop to do the mounting/balancing as the wheels and tires are the only things in contact with the road, you don't want any compromises to them right?

Typically people run 18x8.5 F 18x9.5 R, offsets vary on how aggressive you want the stance of your car to be.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Presice
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

On a similar note, has anyone had any luck upgrading the 325m wheels on their car through their dealer. I like the 326 and 296 wheels and would be willing to pay to trade up but there is no such option on the website for the 30i.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
jrothstein
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Thanks for the help Lewis. So what would the affect be if the rear wheels were 9" wide instead of 9.5"?. Also, are these "spacers" people mention used to compensate for offsets that are too large or small?

@Naveeds: I asked my dealer the same question and they were happy to supply any BMW wheel I wanted not found in the configurator as longa s I was willing to pony up like $3.5K for the wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Presice
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothstein View Post
Thanks for the help Lewis. So what would the affect be if the rear wheels were 9" wide instead of 9.5"?. Also, are these "spacers" people mention used to compensate for offsets that are too large or small?

@Naveeds: I asked my dealer the same question and they were happy to supply any BMW wheel I wanted not found in the configurator as longa s I was willing to pony up like $3.5K for the wheels
That's disheartening. I wouldn't mind ponying up $1k or so, but for $3.5k you can buy the same set of wheels/tires and keep the set that came with the car. I'm going to see my dealer today and see what he says.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
jpd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135

You may want to ask your CA about aftermarket wheels. When you turn the car back in the car will need the 325M wheels on the car.
Appreciate 0