New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
IMR
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toureg TDI, Z4 35iS

2012+ E89 Z4 aux audio thread (steaming +/or USB)

<Edited for clarity>
THE ASK:
----------
tl;dr -- looking for clarity on digital audio for e89. Does your car play music directly from a USB stick? if so, AAC or MP3 only? How about BT streaming - was COMBOX optional after 2012? I found a 2015 35is and neither streaming nor USB audio worked. Trying to sort out the variables and will put together a summary that hopefully helps others (and prospective buyers).

BACKGROUND:
-----------------
So I've been searching and trying to sort out bluetooth, USB, etc for the 35i/35is models. There is a lot of information and hopefully I can pull a bunch together in this thread - but I need your help. From the VIN report, there are a lot of variant options and I'm pretty sure some remapped at LCI.

For instance, I was looking at a 2015 is that is supposedly loaded. I wasn't able to stream from an iPhone 5s or Android Lollipop phone. I also wasn't able to play any music from a USB stick loaded with iTunes files (m4a) - from either USB socket. d'oh! Using the 1/8" audio jack is soooo 2001 and from what I read LOW QUALITY. double d'oh! didn't have a cable to test it either, so triple d'oh!

2015 35is options:
6AE TELESERVICES
6AK CONNECTEDDRIVE SERVICES
6AM REAL TIME TRAFFIC INFORMATION
6AN CONCIERGE SERVICES
6AP REMOTE SERVICES
6NH HANDS-FREE FACILITY W. USB INTERFAC
609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
620 VOICE INPUT SYSTEM
655 SATELLITE RADIO
677 HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
7S9 CONNECTEDDRIVE SERVICES PAKET

NOTES:: No COMBOX. Hrm. I thought all got those in NA for 2013+.

2013 35i (which I don't have direct access to but am considering purchasing).
6AA BMW TELESERVICES
6AB CONTROL TELESERVICES
6FL USB-/AUDIO INTERFACE
6NF EXT.CON.OF THE MUSIC PLAY.I.MOBILPH
6NR APPS
6VC CONTROL COMBOX
609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
620 VOICE INPUT SYSTEM
639 COMPLETE PREP. CELLULAR PHONE USA/CDN
655 SATELLITE RADIO
677 HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL

Notes: COMBOX is explicitly listed on this one. Would this one stream? How are USB sticks handled?

RANT:
-------
I am flummoxed that a car >2012 DOESN'T come with BT streaming worked out (and I appreciate that this has been ranted about on other threads). Apparently, COMBOX apparently fixes this and I thought all cars built after a certain date were supposed to have it? Regarding USB, am I right in my reading that even late model cars require you to copy files to the internal HDD (12GB only) and that the only file format supported is MP3? Zowie. Really puts a damper on the possible purchase of a modern luxury sport convertible.

As I'm only able to have limited contact to examples (they're not common around here and I'm not in a big city), I can't test much without a couple hour drive. Yesterday ended up being a bust.

Last edited by IMR; 08-23-2015 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

USB sticks have to be plugged into the port in the glove box to stream. The one in the center console will not work for this application.
BT - Your phone must first be paired to the car. Press CD near the iDrive knob. Scroll to Bluetooth and select. Scroll to your phone in the menu and press Option near the iDrive knob. Select Configure Phone. Audio must have a check mark in the box next to it. If not, scroll to Audio and select. Scroll to OK and select. You can now play via BT.
If you ever plug your device in via USB, your BT connection is deactivated and you have to go through the steps above to turn Audio back on.
Hope this helps

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

USB in console

I can play music through either USB port. It may be because it's an I-Drive and both ports show up as multimedia source on the screen. The port in the glovebox is the only one that can load updated maps and software, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
IMR
Canada
Rep

Thanks gents!
I may have also figured out why the usb stick I tried wasn't recognized; it was formatted exfat rather than fat32. BMW doesn't like this common format. FAT and FAT32 only. Also Mac computers don't format fat32 without a bit of hacking. TIL. Also no bit rates over 256 Mbps allowed. MP3, AAC, WMA and WAV ok. FLAC, ALAC, etc are not supported.

For BT, combox is required, but was that fitted standard after a given year? I didn't see it on the vin report for a 2015 35is which was otherwise loaded.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:38 AM   #5
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Just one word of advise: If you´re an audiophile guy, you will be vastly disappointed by the BMW (no matter which) Audio System, it is plain garbage. The tweeters will die very soon (happend to me twice, both sides) as soon as you turn up the volume (especially while driving top down), the bass is non existent, and midranges tend to have distortion.
Yes I tested it with HiFI Test Files, not with some streamed youtube songs.

I went for an Aftermarket setup and now I am entirly happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
IMR
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo85 View Post
Just one word of advise: If you´re an audiophile guy, you will be vastly disappointed by the BMW (no matter which) Audio System, it is plain garbage. The tweeters will die very soon (happend to me twice, both sides) as soon as you turn up the volume (especially while driving top down), the bass is non existent, and midranges tend to have distortion.

Speakers only or speakers/amp or full swap? I love music and have a pretty solid setup at home. My other vehicles are stock but sound good with their respective premium audio option. I'd only be interested in upgrading if it looks stock and uses the factory speaker locations. Storage is tight enough as is!

Would love thoughts on this. Is it an impossible dream?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:37 AM   #7
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Pir8 View Post
Speakers only or speakers/amp or full swap? I love music and have a pretty solid setup at home. My other vehicles are stock but sound good with their respective premium audio option. I'd only be interested in upgrading if it looks stock and uses the factory speaker locations. Storage is tight enough as is!

Would love thoughts on this. Is it an impossible dream?
No I´ve done it myself, it is not impossible

My car has no I-Drive since it is not my Daily Driver anyway, and the installation of a soundsystem on a Z4 without the I-Drive is easier to do I´ve been told.

I have purchased and installed the following:

-Jehnert Sound System
http://www.jehnert.de/en/shop/e89-ro...y-soundsystem/

-ETON ECC600.4 Amplifier (RMS) 4 x 130 W @ 4 Ω

-Alpine Radio CDA-137BTI

-I have insulated the doors and cabin against any possible rattling and distortion noises. (Yeah, I am THAT audiophile)

I might create a thread with pictures right now, but several members on this forum have gone for the Jehnert option:

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...hlight=jehnert

But a "classic" sound system swap on the existing spots is no big deal:
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...hlight=jehnert

I have the Jehnert system for 2 years now, and it is still awesome, I regret nothing. When driving top down at higher speed and you still hear the music on a enjoyable level is really a blast. To me, the car became even more special.

If you want some pictures, I will gladly upload them for you, just tell me what you wanna see
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo85 View Post

I have the premium sound option in my 2011 35is- 14 speakers, etc...and it is awesome.
Top up or down.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I have the premium sound option in my 2011 35is- 14 speakers, etc...and it is awesome.
Top up or down.
I had the same in my old '12 35i

I don't consider myself an audiophile but it seems like with top down or top up with relatively minimal sound proofing it isn't going to be a great audio experience no matter what

By the way, OP. with a '12 non i drive you can play USB through the center console, or hook up your iphone via usb to stream music. (non i drive means no bluetooth audio streaming)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I had the same in my old '12 35i

I don't consider myself an audiophile but it seems like with top down or top up with relatively minimal sound proofing it isn't going to be a great audio experience no matter what
Not my experience.
However, my old 3 Series Vert had the WORST speakers and reception i have ever had. I replaced the head unit and the disc player with Kenwood Excelon components and it was much improved.
My Z4 stereo is far and away better than that. Having said that, I am not an audiophile either, so some may have much higher standards than I do. Besides, sometimes it's more fun to listen to the engine/exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

My base of comparison is the HK in F30 and F80 and base 11 speaker stereo in my '08 E90 328, all of which I found better than the my E89 premium audio.

Not fair though to compare a fixed roof sedans and a vert
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #12
IMR
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
My base of comparison is the HK in F30 and F80 and base 11 speaker stereo in my '08 E90 328, all of which I found better than the my E89 premium audio.

Not fair though to compare a fixed roof sedans and a vert
Except when the (hard)top is up?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #13
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

I have the basic 4 speakers each side plus the center on the dash. ("Professional"). It is hard to tell but I don't think the center speaker works. Does anyone know how to remove the grill so I can check it out.
To the OP, We know how you feel especially if you are an audiophile. Germans don't get it.
Porsche and Audi are just catching up also. The Z4 is still a great addictive drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #14
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r View Post
I have the basic 4 speakers each side plus the center on the dash. ("Professional"). It is hard to tell but I don't think the center speaker works. Does anyone know how to remove the grill so I can check it out.
To the OP, We know how you feel especially if you are an audiophile. Germans don't get it.
Porsche and Audi are just catching up also. The Z4 is still a great addictive drivers car.
I have the same system; the center channel is empty.
Appreciate 0