New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Off road rentals in Moab, general questions.

I am going through Moab in sept and will be renting a Jeep to partake in the off road fun. Questions are do I need to upgrade to the Rubicon (front and rear lockers) for the minor trails and is the tire insurance worth it($25 covers one tire)? I never buy insurance but I also never off road and am not sure how often tires are blown.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
DiabloCO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lola, 08 335xi crimson red

Mmmm moab. For peice of mind get all the insurance u can if your new to wheeling. No you don't need front and rear lockers on anything but the hardest of trails. U can get through most of fins and things with out lockers and maybe in one or 2 spots you MIGHT need them on hells revenge, if u stay off the big stuff. If u do go, rent from farabees or twisted jeep rentals. They are best deal in town. Also I rented a wildcat x from dirt seekers for 400 for the day and I had a blast!!! Was able to run hello revenge fins and Kane creek with a stop at blue pig blues and bbq for lunch still had it washed and back to the lot early. They are super stable and can be run hard. U may want to run the trifecta if you have 24hrs. That is golden spike poison spider and gold bar rim. All doable with out a locker just a long day on the trail.

Check out the desert bistro for a really good high end meal. Or stop of at Zax or moab brewery. And don't leave with out buying some coffee and beans from the coffee roasters in town.

And say hi for me. I just spent my 30th bday there. The red cliffs lodge was really nice
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Watch some youtube videos of the trails you're interesting in visiting. Will help you make your decision.
      07-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

I will check out those rentals. I was looking at canyon lands jeep. $175/day I have been watching videos there and it looks fun, a lot of stuff I won't want to do in a rental or with my lack of skill.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Also, 2 or 4 door?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
DiabloCO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lola, 08 335xi crimson red

Less doors the better. Chicken corners is near can creak that a trail with a great view. Also if u run out of town and go up 128 to the old Dewey bridge there is a trail called top of the world. If you like heights and good views that's a great one to run. Otherwise fins and things is easy and Rollercoaster esque and a jeep with no locker will do fine
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

ooo, this sounds fun. I love Utah. Life Elevated indeed.
      07-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
max
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaCo View Post
Mmmm moab. For peice of mind get all the insurance u can if your new to wheeling. No you don't need front and rear lockers on anything but the hardest of trails. U can get through most of fins and things with out lockers and maybe in one or 2 spots you MIGHT need them on hells revenge, if u stay off the big stuff. If u do go, rent from farabees or twisted jeep rentals. They are best deal in town. Also I rented a wildcat x from dirt seekers for 400 for the day and I had a blast!!! Was able to run hello revenge fins and Kane creek with a stop at blue pig blues and bbq for lunch still had it washed and back to the lot early. They are super stable and can be run hard. U may want to run the trifecta if you have 24hrs. That is golden spike poison spider and gold bar rim. All doable with out a locker just a long day on the trail.

Check out the desert bistro for a really good high end meal. Or stop of at Zax or moab brewery. And don't leave with out buying some coffee and beans from the coffee roasters in town.

And say hi for me. I just spent my 30th bday there. The red cliffs lodge was really nice

Appreciate all the info - looking to do this mid October for my Bday.
      07-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #9
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

All good info. I prefer the 2 door Jeeps anyways.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #10
CrazyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

If you're new to wheeling, you will not need lockers since you'll be more content on the easier stuff. Some things: Utah is hot. Yes, florida is too, but Utah is hot and dry, and services are few and far between. Always top up on gas (you use it quickly off road), and bring lots of water. Bring more than you need. Also, go with another vehicle. If you get stuck, your buddy can help you out.

Also, if you will be traveling with dogs, Utah hates dogs. You can't even take them into the national parks even if they stay in your vehicle.

Took my Jeep up the 'top of the world' trail. Great photo op if you don't mind heights. I'm not too squeamish about it, but could get myself to move close to that ledge
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

@crazyt. I hate dogs too so we are good(jk, kinda). I have read a lot about water and we will be bringing plenty. I will be there early Sept which is the beginning of there busy season so I fear the trails may be too crowded.

As far as heights they only worry me when I am falling so I will definitely check out that trail.
Appreciate 0