New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i

Tough Decision... DCT or 6sp...

I am sure this has been covered before, but I am throwing it out there again.

I am buying a Z4. I have just sold my old Porsche convertible that finally wore out its welcome and I am replacing it with a Z4. Of that I am certain.

I went into the market looking for a cherry 3 or 4 year old model, with a 6sp and the 3.5 engine. I have that engine in my 535 and I love it.

Then I drove a DCT and had a whopping time in it.

Now my head is spinning.

The other issue on my plate is nav or no nav. While the nav is not a critical issue for me, I hate how the non nav model comes without the idrive. I have gotten so used to that darn knob.

I have a bead on a mint (17k miles) 2011 with a 6spd and no nav. Deal is right, but I haven't jumped on it. Normally I would have, but I guess I haven't worked it all out in my mind yet.

I am sold on the car, but have this big decision to make.

I would love to hear from long term owners of both the 6spd and DCT and get your input.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmos View Post
I am sure this has been covered before, but I am throwing it out there again.

I am buying a Z4. I have just sold my old Porsche convertible that finally wore out its welcome and I am replacing it with a Z4. Of that I am certain.

I went into the market looking for a cherry 3 or 4 year old model, with a 6sp and the 3.5 engine. I have that engine in my 535 and I love it.

Then I drove a DCT and had a whopping time in it.

Now my head is spinning.

The other issue on my plate is nav or no nav. While the nav is not a critical issue for me, I hate how the non nav model comes without the idrive. I have gotten so used to that darn knob.

I have a bead on a mint (17k miles) 2011 with a 6spd and no nav. Deal is right, but I haven't jumped on it. Normally I would have, but I guess I haven't worked it all out in my mind yet.

I am sold on the car, but have this big decision to make.

I would love to hear from long term owners of both the 6spd and DCT and get your input.

Cheers!
This thread outlines my experience answering your questions about buying the Z4
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1034239
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Everyone's needs/wants are different. When my wife and I went shopping for a used 2-3 year old 35i a year ago to serve as her DD we decided to go with the DCT rather than the manual option (although she had two successive Miatas with 5/6 speeds which she loved) simply because the ZF unit is so damned good. Nav wasn't important to her, so it didn't matter that the car we ended up with didn't have iDrive. The one thing that jumps out in your post is that you've managed to find a 6MT, but it doesn't have the nav and iDrive you want. If you open up your shopping to include DCT models (of which there are many more around!), you're more likely to find one with all the options you want. In our case, color was the big problem. For a relatively high-end sports car, we were appalled at the lack of color selection in the used and CPO market. If we had limited ourselves to just looking at manual models, we might still be looking!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
f5joe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive28i

I don't know if I can be helpful or not. I did have a z3 with manual and absolutely loved it. Ten years later I just acquired a '12 Z4 sDrive28i automatic. My requirements were a 3.0 engine and 6-speed manual. A test drive of the car I bought sold me on the 28i's power along with the automatic's "manual" shifting. It is a complete joy to own .... for me.

Good luck in your hunt! Joe
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
paris1
Captain
Rep

Just FYI Joe, the 8 speed in the 28i is a very different animal from the 7 spd DCT in the 35i. But I would agree that it's a very good drivetrain as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
f5joe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Just FYI Joe, the 8 speed in the 28i is a very different animal from the 7 spd DCT in the 35i. But I would agree that it's a very good drivetrain as well!
Thank you for clarifying this for me! I apologize for my ignorant enthusiasm!!

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

If you had a whomping good time you probably answered your question. As for me I have had manuals all my life (and I am retired). Perfomance wise the DCT is better. Fun wise its pretty good too. The exhaust still pops nicely when it shifts (in sport+).
That sounds like a good low mileage find, but the MTs might be getting hard (for you) to resell. If you drive in any heavy rush hour traffic, wait for a good DCT. IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep

While I keep my daily drivers for 2 or 3 years max, I tend to keep my sports cars for 5-10 years. My last one was a 1993 Porsche that cost me a fortune to keep running, and that was just basic maintenance.

I am torn. I do love that driver / car connection you get with an MT. I would miss that. I am afraid that the DCT will only appease me for a short time.

I am also just a tad afraid of future repair costs on the more complicated transmission.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
paris1
Captain
Rep

Well I will say this bobmos, if your experience is anything like mine, you'll end up leaving the DCT in auto mode 99% of the time.

Last edited by paris1; 10-30-2015 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
golftdibrad
Rep
Drives: 2011 35i Z4

I love the DCT. I find it allows me to concentrate on driving the car more. love the sound. love paying F1 driver with he paddles.

I've had all kinds of manual sports cars. DCT is better IMHO.

BUT, its all about what you find fun. A sports car is supposed to be a FUN thing.

so... drive both. Buy the one you find to be more FUN.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
Eltee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

I swore I would never ever buy a sports car with an automatic. Had MT roadsters my entire life including 3 Z3s and a 2009 Z4. Tried out a DCT, swallowed my conviction, purchased it and love every minute.

If you had a whopping time in a DCT then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #12
Ozie
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltee View Post
I swore I would never ever buy a sports car with an automatic. Had MT roadsters my entire life including 3 Z3s and a 2009 Z4. Tried out a DCT, swallowed my conviction, purchased it and love every minute.

If you had a whopping time in a DCT then go for it.
Same "problem" here. Previous car was E85 2.2 with MT. I swore also not to buy automatic.

Well.. Current car is with DCT and no regrets!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep

I am torn...

There is another car that I can buy that has a preferred color combo for me, and it has DCT, but still no nav. It will cost me a few k more and its got a bit higher mileage.

But no warranty left at all...

Hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #14
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

I drove manual, auto, and DCTs when I started shopping and I decided I really wanted to stick with manual. I know it's not as fast, but damn it's so much more engaging.

The tough part is that choice severely limited my choices. I finally found a fully loaded '11 Z435i with a manual but it took a few months. Like others have said, going for a DCT will open your options up considerably. The number of potentials I came across that were listed as manual that ended up actually being DCT drove me bonkers...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #15
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
The number of potentials I came across that were listed as manual that ended up actually being DCT drove me bonkers...
I noticed that too when we were shopping. I just assumed the listing was incorrect until I drilled down through the spec sheet to find out what kind of a tranny was actually installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #16
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

My 3 previous cars were a 6MT 135i, 6MT E46 M3 and a 6MT 350Z. I looked for a long time to try to find a 6MT Z4 and was not able to find one that had a manual transmission and Nav. I gave up my search and bought a DCT and I love it.

However, my wife and I still own a few other manuals. My dd is a MKV TDI with a manual and my wife has a NB Miata.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I love our Z4 35i w/ DCT. I have a DCT in my E92 M3. I sometimes wish the M3 was a 6MT, but the DCT just feels so right in the Z4. IMO, turbo motors and DCTs go very well together, while 6MT and NA were made for each other.

All that said, I think it is kind of a moot point because I would highly recommend that you spring for the 35is which only comes in DCT. The 35is comes with better brakes, a performance exhaust, and a higher state of tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #18
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well I will say this bobmos, if your experience is anything like mine, you'll end up leaving the DCT in auto mode 99% of the time.
You really could just leave the DCT in Drive Mode and be happy with that for sure.
I have found that the ways I like to interact with the DCT is mostly like this:
In Drive mode for if I decide to commute in Boston traffic with my Z

I like when in Drive mode you can seamlessly switch to the paddles, to downshift, bang through some gears with aggression, and if you don't continue their use, the gearbox shifts back to Drive mode on it's own.

I drive a lot in Sport mode. I don't always engage the adaptive suspension, unless I am driving a longer distance on the highway or something at a fairly consistent higher speed.

And of course all signs point to all out Sport mode plus when the Kracken needs release!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 06:17 PM   #19
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
You really could just leave the DCT in Drive Mode and be happy with that for sure.
I have found that the ways I like to interact with the DCT is mostly like this:
In Drive mode for if I decide to commute in Boston traffic with my Z

I like when in Drive mode you can seamlessly switch to the paddles, to downshift, bang through some gears with aggression, and if you don't continue their use, the gearbox shifts back to Drive mode on it's own.

I drive a lot in Sport mode. I don't always engage the adaptive suspension, unless I am driving a longer distance on the highway or something at a fairly consistent higher speed.

And of course all signs point to all out Sport mode plus when the Kracken needs release!
How does one know when the adaptive suspension is "engaged". I assumed any time you're in sport mode the AS is part of the deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
How does one know when the adaptive suspension is "engaged". I assumed any time you're in sport mode the AS is part of the deal.
I may have the terminology misplaced, but there are (confusingly) two "Sport" modes. One is engaged when you push the gear shift to the left.
The other is when you select the options which are on the console selector switch.
I welcome a further description of each of those selections I have mentioned!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #21
JR956678
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I may have the terminology misplaced, but there are (confusingly) two "Sport" modes. One is engaged when you push the gear shift to the left. The other is when you select the options which are on the console selector switch.
I welcome a further description of each of those selections I have mentioned!
2014 35is with DCT and all the above mentioned bells & whistles.

Full on Comfort mode would be with the gearshift to the right and the selector switch on Comfort. In that mode, shifting is automatic but at quite low RPM and very very smooth - rivaling or exceeding an automatic gearbox.You can use the paddles to temporarily override the computer gear selection but it will go back to fully automatic mode after a brief delay. I find this mode useful for warming things up and in heavy traffic or parking lots.

Tip the gear shift lever to the left and things start to get more spirited. Shifting is delayed to about 3,000 RPM (or higher depending on throttle position) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but there's either a fuel or ignition interrupt on an upshift so it's still quite smooth and the upshift is probably going to be punctuated with a pop or crack from the exhaust. I love this mode and use it more that any other. This mode doesn't seem to affect the engine response nor suspension - just gearbox. Use of the paddles in the mode permanently overrides the computer and it's now purely a paddle shift gearbox.

The next step up is to engage sport mode on the console selector switch. And at this point things get really interesting. The suspension get's noticeably stiffer, the steering also seems to get less assist and the gearshifts get blink-of-the-eye quick - with no fuel or ignition interrupt on upshifts so you now are going to be getting a noticeable kick in the back on an upshift. It does get smoother - soft of - with brisk throttle settings but you get to "Go Directly To Jail" speeds rather quickly. This is nice on a highway or fast road though and the car is rather dramatically different than the Comfort+Comfort mode you start with. The engine now starts to sound more like a banshee at higher RPMs also and the throttle is quite sensitive. I don't know that it makes more power in sport mode but it sure seems like it does.

Basically the gearshift lever sport mode only affects the gearbox and the console switch affects suspension, steering and engine as well as gearbox (again raising shift points to higher RPM). Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #22
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep

Ok, so I have backed off of the MT example for now, and I am awaiting further photos on the DCT model, pending me taking a fairly long drive out to see it in person. My BMW dealer has agreed to purchase it for me and add a certified 2 year warranty if I choose.

Color is right, inside and out. Missing nav, and no warranty left (2011).

My only fear is transmission breakdown with no warranty. I am not afraid to own one in warranty and have the warranty expire, simply afraid of the unknown when buying a car that has already had its warranty expire.

I see that many of you have 2011's, so I am curious if there have been many reported failures out of warranty and what it may have cost to repair.

Last edited by bobmos; 11-01-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0