New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-14-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
azure82
Rep
Drives: z4 e89

Anyone recently resolved 296 crack issue?

Hi,

Just wanna advise if there's anyone has recent experience with 296 wheel crack.

My z4 is 2011 35i with 296 rim.

Unfortunately, I found 3 wheels has crack last week.

Although there was settlement between BMWNA and owners, it only applicable for vehicle has initial factory warranty.
Factory warranty for my z4 already expired, but she has CPO warranty until end of 2016.

So, I contacted BMWNA and they said refer to http://z4296wheelsettlement.com, which is not applicable to my case.
Of course dealer refused me to cover my wheels, since there isn't any open campaign or recalls on 296 wheels. (CPO warranty doesn't cover wheels.)

After that, I contacted BMW AG regarding this issue.
They tossed my message to BMW NA, and BMW NA response exactly same as my first contact to them. Please refer to http://z4296wheelsettlement.com.

Is there anyone recently got 296 wheel crack and resolved?

Since one of wheel keep losing tire pressure, I will order new wheel anyway, but I wanna step to next move.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

There is no reason why you cannot contact the BBB and also then nation highway and safety (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/) to let them know of your find. If you do i would certainly state to them that this is a known issue and that there has been some sort of resolution provided within the warranty period which does not cover the totality of the design flaw. and of course give them the web addy. will this likely fix your problem? odds are no but since you have to out of pocket the wheels anyway this cannot hurt. But note if you plan on the legal route with a lawyer please consult them first as they may want to take a different approach.
      10-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

BWM will replace them

Google it, there was a class action lawsuit. You get new wheels. This is all owners in the USA. I don't know why people don't call the dealer. The forums also can be searched.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
azure82
Rep

rking117 // BBB is exactly what I trying to do for next step.
I never thought about nation highway & safety, thanks for your advise.

Zyal8r // Actually I personally visited local BMW dealer, and they simply said no.
Yes, there was class action. But that only covers initial factory warranty period.
Although I contacted BMWNA CR team and local dealer several times, all they said is refer to class action.
In addition, they simply refused to take any action since there isn't any open campaign or recall on my vehicle.

If you look thru that website regarding settlement, you can figure out it only cover cracked wheel under initial factory warranty.
Whenever your factory warranty expired, they are not gonna change wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Disappointed

Read your original post on the smart phone missed the details. If you are in the BMWCCA try contacting them, but it is frustrating and probably hopeless. I cant imagine 3 cracked wheels and they don't seem to care . BMW ranks #1 world wide in corporate trust and integrity.
Hope you don't give up. There must be a way.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
azure82
Rep

Zyal8r //
Thanks. I just filed my claim on NHTSA, will file claim thru BBB.
I'll keep it posted!
Appreciate 0