New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-27-2010, 02:04 AM   #89
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m999psw View Post
A software upidate only.
Interesting. So it appears there are 3 solutions so far:
1. replaced LPFP;
2. replaced both LPFP and fuel tank; and
3. software update for the LPFP.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #90
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
I've an update on my car.

Scothall BMW Leeds have since been really good in trying to sort my car. It's a shame I had to complain to get them to look into it again, but now that they are I can't fault their customer service and their efforts in trying to get the issue resolved.

They sent the Workshop Controller to listen to the noise, he did so, and collected my car from my home, provided me a courtesy car, apologised etc etc.

So they took the car in last week and updated the software but they weren't happy that it was significantly quieter. So it was decided to change the fuel pump. This seemingly sorted it and I collected the car on Friday of last week.

Sadly a day later the noise came back. Not quite as bad as before but definately not normal. I could feel the tank resonating when I touched it from the underside of the car. Oddly though the noise stopped if the car was on a steep incline to the left (but it did it on a flat or incline to the right or nose up and down).

So the senior workshop technician/controller came out to my house again to listen to the noise and agreed he could hear it again.

So the car has gone back in again today. This time for 2 weeks while I'm on holiday. Sadly (or is it?) the noise stopped this afternoon, and when I dropped the car off another technician came to listen and also could not hear it : ( I felt like a bit of a fraud to be honest, and so I'm relying on what the senior technician witnessed noise wise last week, but he's on leave for another week. He did say they may replace the whole tank though. I've directed the service dept to this thread to read other peoples issues similar to mine.

BTW oddly the noise stopped with a near empty tank!!!! They said they might put some more fuel in and see what happens (it was their idea for me to run it low so that could easily drain it).

Let's see what happens while I'm away and fingers crossed Scothall can sort it.

David
Automatic
Business Nav

Last edited by davidmbell; 08-27-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #91
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^Thx for the update and hopefully it gets resolved. I'm having mine checked next wk and will see how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #92
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

update:
Past 4,200kms now and the noise is gone. Still original tank/pump/etc. I think that it really may be a break-in issue for me. *fingers crossed*
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #93
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Good news.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #94
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Mine is now having it's fuel tank replaced. As I'm away on vacation I emailed the garage for an update and this was their reply :

"The issue is well on the way to be resolved. I shall briefly summarize what's been happening.
We have been very busy in diagnosing this strange very intermittent noise. Andy has heard it so we know it is there.
We have firstly replaced all the parts that fit onto or into the fuel tank to see if this noise was eliminated. It wasn't so we have taken the decision to replace the fuel tank. This had to come over from Germany which took 5 days to get here (arrived this morning). Replacing the fuel tank is a massive job, virtually the whole of the rear suspension has to removed and then replaced and a geometry alignment carried out. This is going to roll over into Monday. Once this work is complete I propose that we continue testing the vehicle for a couple of days to make sure that this has been totally resolved and the noise is no longer there. This we can only do by Andy running the vehicle. Whilst Andy is running yours he has made his available for you and I will arrange to have it brought to your home on Monday."

So fingers crossed a whole replacement tank will sort it out.

Watch this space.

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #95
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
Mine is now having it's fuel tank replaced. As I'm away on vacation I emailed the garage for an update and this was their reply :

"The issue is well on the way to be resolved. I shall briefly summarize what's been happening.
We have been very busy in diagnosing this strange very intermittent noise. Andy has heard it so we know it is there.
We have firstly replaced all the parts that fit onto or into the fuel tank to see if this noise was eliminated. It wasn't so we have taken the decision to replace the fuel tank. This had to come over from Germany which took 5 days to get here (arrived this morning). Replacing the fuel tank is a massive job, virtually the whole of the rear suspension has to removed and then replaced and a geometry alignment carried out. This is going to roll over into Monday. Once this work is complete I propose that we continue testing the vehicle for a couple of days to make sure that this has been totally resolved and the noise is no longer there. This we can only do by Andy running the vehicle. Whilst Andy is running yours he has made his available for you and I will arrange to have it brought to your home on Monday."

Watch this space.

David
I had the same symptoms. My noise came back the day I drove it back home from the first in tank fuel pump replacement. Then BMW replaced the whole tank and updated software. No noise since. You should be good to go after this.
      09-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #96
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
I had the car go into "safe" mode on me the other day, I think it may have been the HPFP but I'm not sure. I noticed a quiet hum, not a loud one so I can't say it's a loud in tank FP. The strange thing is it cleared up and reset after about 5 miles ?? BMW is checking it out on Thursday

It's a 2009 E89 with Dinan Stage II and 24000kms on the clock. ( I just did an 8000km trip in the last two weeks). and this was the first issue of any kind.

Update from BMW techs: the car misfired once and the computer caught it..that's all it was. ...Phew!

Last edited by mcbeee; 09-25-2010 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #97
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Watch this space.

David
Just an update on my car, as I mentioned above I came back from my two week vacation and the dealer said the car still wasn't ready - they ended up keeping it till last Friday to complete their testing. I think they wanted to run a full tank of fuel through it, just to make sure it didn't change sound at differening levels of fuel.

So I have the car back and am finally happy with it. OK so it does have a small whine, but I think its the nature of the design and location of the tank, certainly not a annoying whine like it was before, and something I think I can live with.

I have to applaud BMW Scothall in Leeds for all the efforts (eventually) in getting me and my car sorted. What started out as a rocky relationship has ended well and I can't fault the contact I have had with Rob Gooblar on Service Desk. Good effort Scothall.

I also managed to get a new drivers seat cover too (Nappa Pure White Design Leather Pack). Having complained that I didn't feel the wear on the drivers side bolster was right for a car that cost almost £40,000 and having only done 14,000 miles. The new one doesn't fit quite as well as the old one, with one or two wrinkles, but these may settle over time.

So all sorted, I can begin enjoying my new toy.

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #98
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just an update on my car, as I mentioned above I came back from my two week vacation and the dealer said the car still wasn't ready - they ended up keeping it till last Friday to complete their testing. I think they wanted to run a full tank of fuel through it, just to make sure it didn't change sound at differening levels of fuel.

So I have the car back and am finally happy with it. OK so it does have a small whine, but I think its the nature of the design and location of the tank, certainly not a annoying whine like it was before, and something I think I can live with.

I have to applaud BMW Scothall in Leeds for all the efforts (eventually) in getting me and my car sorted. What started out as a rocky relationship has ended well and I can't fault the contact I have had with Rob Gooblar on Service Desk. Good effort Scothall.

I also managed to get a new drivers seat cover too (Nappa Pure White Design Leather Pack). Having complained that I didn't feel the wear on the drivers side bolster was right for a car that cost almost £40,000 and having only done 14,000 miles. The new one doesn't fit quite as well as the old one, with one or two wrinkles, but these may settle over time.

So all sorted, I can begin enjoying my new toy.

David
Got another update on my ongoing fuel tank whine saga. See above - in that it's now all sorted.

The latest is.... I sent BMW Finance a message via the BMW Finance website, basically stating I was unhappy at paying my monthly finance payment for a selection of courtesy cars! Mine has been in the garage almost as much as it has on the road, since I bought the car in late July. So I stated I wasn't happy at this. Anyway, BMW Finance wrote to me and said they would be looking in the situation and would be in touch soon.

I received a phone call on Monday from BMW Finance offering to give me one month free. RESULT!

So all in all, now a happy bunny. Car all sorted with new fuel tank, no more whine, new drivers seat cover and a free month off my finance payments!

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #99
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Good to hear. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 01:45 AM   #100
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got another update on my ongoing fuel tank whine saga. See above - in that it's now all sorted.

The latest is.... I sent BMW Finance a message via the BMW Finance website, basically stating I was unhappy at paying my monthly finance payment for a selection of courtesy cars! Mine has been in the garage almost as much as it has on the road, since I bought the car in late July. So I stated I wasn't happy at this. Anyway, BMW Finance wrote to me and said they would be looking in the situation and would be in touch soon.

I received a phone call on Monday from BMW Finance offering to give me one month free. RESULT!

So all in all, now a happy bunny. Car all sorted with new fuel tank, no more whine, new drivers seat cover and a free month off my finance payments!

David
Sadly my whine is back. I live with it now as it now only seems to happen when the fuel tank is almost full - which the way I drive isn't for very long.

It seems even with entire new fuel tank/pump/lines etc BMW still can't get this design right.

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #101
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sadly my whine is back. I live with it now as it now only seems to happen when the fuel tank is almost full - which the way I drive isn't for very long.

It seems even with entire new fuel tank/pump/lines etc BMW still can't get this design right.

David
Hmmm, it just came back for me also. Not sure if coincidence, as we're coming out of winter and it happened after I filled my tank also. The noise is very slight but I still hear it. I haven't replaced anything related to this humming noise but it's discouraging that even w/ some members replacing 'everything' the noise is still there. Will report back after my next drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #102
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Well, I'm almost at the 20,000km mark and I can still hear some humming noise, although it is a lot quieter than before. (I had a long spell when I thought that the sound was gone, but alas.) Not sure if other members have this prb. For me, the occurrence is 50% of the time I drive. I dunno if anything can be done about it since some members have replaced their entire fuel tank but the noise still persists.

I wonder if it has anything to do w/ not properly breaking-in the engine? I know when I was breaking it in, I didn't go into the higher revs (4,000rpms+) and only occasionally do when driving even now.

No idea on solution. Would be great if someone has any insight.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #103
Z4@Phuket
Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [8.00]
2004 BMW 525i  [0.00]
I had LPFP replaced at 10,000 km, Now the noise is gone
      07-18-2011, 02:36 AM   #104
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Well, I'm almost at the 20,000km mark and I can still hear some humming noise, although it is a lot quieter than before. (I had a long spell when I thought that the sound was gone, but alas.) Not sure if other members have this prb. For me, the occurrence is 50% of the time I drive. I dunno if anything can be done about it since some members have replaced their entire fuel tank but the noise still persists.
BMW replaced my LPFP in October 2009 (~5800km). But the humming noise can back within a half year, but not as loud as the previous LPFP. It seems the noise level has stabilized in the last 15 months, ~30000kms. I can only hear it when the fuel tank level is lower than 50%.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #105
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Since I had my LPFP replaced, the humming has never come back. I make sure that I never let my fuel tank go below half full.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #106
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

In-tank LPFP noises

Quote:

David
Been following this for some time, as I have the same problem.
So you had just 6 months of the new tank, pump, etc., etc., before the noise returned!

After my car had done 10,000 miles (4 weeks ago) it had it's 1st Service and in order to redress this noise it had a complete software reflash (?) or update, whatever the techno-jargon is.

Took them hours to do (well 2 days actually). The pump noise was definitely quieter, but has now increased in volume over the past 3 weeks.
It varies in intensity/frequency/annoyance level. But the thought of disrupting the suspension to resolve this is rather staggering.
I mean, what clot (or "clotess" even) designs a car that requires the rear suspension to be removed to install a fuel tank? Caramba....

One thing I DID notice was that after the software update, the car felt like it had been super-tuned....seems much, much faster/more responsive than before............

Think I'll hang on a little longer to see how the noise develops..........
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #107
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^Ya, I'm reluctant to replace the LPFP since it doesn't seem like a 100% fix. The noise definitely is a lot lower now and I'm trying to wring out the engine more w/ higher revs to see if it'll make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #108
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Just an update, I'm pretty confident that my noise has finally gone, after driving many many kms. I think it may have to do w/ the Petro-Canada gas: ever since I switched to Esso, no more sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #109
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Just an update, I'm pretty confident that my noise has finally gone, after driving many many kms. I think it may have to do w/ the Petro-Canada gas: ever since I switched to Esso, no more sound.
It is amazing what a different brand of fuel can do. I switched from the Loblaws Gas Station to Shell and found my car is behaving quite different almost like she is now on some kind of wonder drug

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #110
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Loblaws gas....yikes. Would never occur to me pump that stuff in a car.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0