New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

05-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #23
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

did you guys know that the both exterior and interior was designed by women ??? (not to disrespect or anything), but it was weird to see women design the whole car, looks great none the less. i was reading in one of da magazines.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #24
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

I drove this car today. Lots of fun. Luxury sports roadster is what this is. I have a Cayman S, and the power and handling are not as good as the Cayman, (few cars can handle as well as a Cayman S), but it was fun. To be a more serious performance machine, it will need an "M" treatment, although I have heard no M for this car. The fit and finish are great, the Ivory White Nappa Leather is like butter. Retractable hardtop is fantastic, one second a quiet coupe, 15 secs later, an air and sun in your face cruising machine.

It is definately getting up into Porsche territory pricewise, at just over $60K. There were little details I like, like the trunk lid roundel doubling as the trunk opening latch. The rear windows recline in roadster mode. The round guages, round and A/C controls.

Performance wise it will scoot, the twin turbo model probably in the 0-60 5.3 to 5.4 sec range. It did not feel like sub 5. But hard to tell for sure.

The 7 speed steptronic, while not bad, is no match for a manual. I am a little disappointed it doesn't have the DCT as an option.

Handling wise was typical BMW, a bit of understeer, easily brought to neutral with the throttle.

The style is something that will probably polarize folks, either you like it or you hate it. I for one liked it.

Like I said at the beginning, a very nice luxury sport 2 seat coupe/roadster.
      05-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #25
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

How does the additional weight feel compared to the 1? 60k is a bit much consider few years ago that's what you pay for a Mcoupe. I will wait for the new Mcoupe based on the next generation 1 series. Hard to compensate extra mass with more power
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #26
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
I drove this car today. Lots of fun. Luxury sports roadster is what this is. I have a Cayman S, and the power and handling are not as good as the Cayman, (few cars can handle as well as a Cayman S), but it was fun. To be a more serious performance machine, it will need an "M" treatment, although I have heard no M for this car. The fit and finish are great, the Ivory White Nappa Leather is like butter. Retractable hardtop is fantastic, one second a quiet coupe, 15 secs later, an air and sun in your face cruising machine.

It is definately getting up into Porsche territory pricewise, at just over $60K. There were little details I like, like the trunk lid roundel doubling as the trunk opening latch. The rear windows recline in roadster mode. The round guages, round and A/C controls.

Performance wise it will scoot, the twin turbo model probably in the 0-60 5.3 to 5.4 sec range. It did not feel like sub 5. But hard to tell for sure.

The 7 speed steptronic, while not bad, is no match for a manual. I am a little disappointed it doesn't have the DCT as an option.

Handling wise was typical BMW, a bit of understeer, easily brought to neutral with the throttle.

The style is something that will probably polarize folks, either you like it or you hate it. I for one liked it.

Like I said at the beginning, a very nice luxury sport 2 seat coupe/roadster.
Thanks for the comments. What model did you drive? If it was the range topping 35 then it should have had DCT and not the traditional Steptronic system.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 01:54 AM   #27
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Wonderboy View Post
Thanks for the comments. What model did you drive? If it was the range topping 35 then it should have had DCT and not the traditional Steptronic system.
OK, I am not really sure. It was the 35 that I drove. We (the salesman and I ) were commenting on how fast and precise the shifts were. It may well have been the DCT, but I am not familiar enough with these transmissions to know. The salesman said it was not, but it did have 7 gears.
      05-09-2009, 02:30 AM   #28
milhouse
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
OK, I am not really sure. It was the 35 that I drove. We (the salesman and I ) were commenting on how fast and precise the shifts were. It may well have been the DCT, but I am not familiar enough with these transmissions to know. The salesman said it was not, but it did have 7 gears.
it is only possibel with the dct. that is the one option for the 35.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 03:47 AM   #29
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like it was DCT then. The 35's automatic option is DCT and not Steptronic. You only get Steptronic in the lower models.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #30
ProlifikBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 (and a few others)

Nice. I really like the DSB. Im going over to my dealer today to check out two Z's that they got in this week. I'll try and snag some pics.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #31
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I saw one at the dealer and honestly it was disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #32
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
I saw one at the dealer and honestly it was disappointing.
I couldn't disagree more. I popped over to my local dealer today to take a look. Very impressed. Much better than the old one (not that the previous model was bad looking). Each to their own though...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #33
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. I popped over to my local dealer today to take a look. Very impressed. Much better than the old one (not that the previous model was bad looking). Each to their own though...
Agreed. And so did the huge ogling crowds around the new Z4 at the ny auto show from a couple weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #34
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Well headed over to my local dealer today and drove both the sDrive35i and an sDrive30i. The 35 had the 7 speed DSG with the paddle shifters, and the 30 had a six speed manual. This was my first experience with paddle shifters and to be honest I could see where they could be fun, but not as much as a manual 6.

The engine and the transmission on the sDrive35i (Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Ivory White Leather) were smooth and had plenty of power shifting up as you took off. When you want the transmission to shift down as you approach and drive through the twisties you have to snap down on the paddles to find the gear and torque you’re looking for.

The sDrive30i (Black Sapphire Metallic/Coral Red Kansas Leather) also had good power, with a fun and predictable manual 6 transmission.
The sport seats in the 35 were much more comfortable than the 8 way power seats that were in the 30.

After I returned with the 35 for a quick 10 minute drive I noticed that the 30 was back, the person testing the 30 and I traded keys got permission and went for another drive. We went for a 30 minute trip, stopped took some pictures (below).

After we returned we traded notes and took another good look at the cars. I have a 05’, the other guy has a 03’, we both agree that 1st of all they were both fun to drive. Second, both cars have a nice soft ride but lose some feel in the corners. Sport mode in both cars didn’t seem to make that much of a difference. Also both cars could benefit from a Strut Brace.
Finally, a nice car with a decent ride… but I’m keeping my 05’ for the time being.
Attached Images

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP

Last edited by WhoU4; 05-10-2009 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Color Edit
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #35
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Robmason: How does this car compare to the 135i? Sounds more aggressive? I currently drive one and would like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

WhoU4: How does the 30i compare to the 35i in terms of power and sound?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #36
arisk
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive23i

Dear friend, can you tell as also about the black car with the red interior? It's seats are leather but not the sport seats. What's your feeling about them, how do they look? Are they ugly? Thnx!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #37
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisk View Post
Dear friend, can you tell as also about the black car with the red interior? It's seats are leather but not the sport seats. What's your feeling about them, how do they look? Are they ugly? Thnx!
I visited my local dealer yesterday and they had the new Z4 with red leather interior (not the extended leather option). I thought the red looked really good. Certianly not as bright red as quite a few of the photos suggest. More of a darker red colour. Very nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #38
patrice03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z23 318d f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisk View Post
i sat 10 minutes in the cabin of a s23i with standard seats, must say that at least in beige, they finally look fine ! that is because their design is much sportier than standard seats in other models such a series 3 for ex, so from this perspective, you should not worry. they also seem rather confy, now havent tried them on the road, and the only thing i noticed is, if ure tall, the fact that your legs are not in contact with the edge of the seat, i really dont know if this is a problem after a while, must say however that am considering swapping sport seat with other option. which i would have never done in other bm models.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #39
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
I visited my local dealer yesterday and they had the new Z4 with red leather interior (not the extended leather option). I thought the red looked really good. Certianly not as bright red as quite a few of the photos suggest. More of a darker red colour. Very nice!
I'm hoping to get round to my dealers tomorrow to dot some i's and cross some t's and have a good look at their cars. How many and what spec's are UK dealers getting? I guess there will be one in the showroom and maybe 1 or 2 demonstrators....?
      05-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #40
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Alext - The 30i had plenty of power matched with the manual 6 speed, but it can't beat the tone of the 35i. When you downshift and hit the gas the turbos just growl. The 35i also has great throttle response, and of course 45 more ponies. I really want to drive a 35i with the manual 6, I think that's the ticket with this car.

arisk - The standard seats really are fine, (the Coral Red is not ugly) the headrest leans forward at the top... a bit to get used to. (My 05' has the M seat option) The sport seats were a bit softer, and have nice side bolstering to keep you in place as you throw it around in the corners. Hope this answers your question, I would consider the standard seats to save some money for other options.

(one more note BMW... Get rid of the CDV Valve, PLEASE!)

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP

Last edited by WhoU4; 05-10-2009 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: added comment
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #41
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Thanks for the reply WhoU4
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #42
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
I'm hoping to get round to my dealers tomorrow to dot some i's and cross some t's and have a good look at their cars. How many and what spec's are UK dealers getting? I guess there will be one in the showroom and maybe 1 or 2 demonstrators....?
My local dealer only had an sDrive23. And that still looked cool (not too sure what size wheels they were but certainly not 19").

With my car due in the next two weeks (fingers crossed in time for the bank holiday weekend) I need to pop in next weekend to talk money and to probably take the 23 out for a quick spin.

Does anyone know if BMW allow for you to take the car out on your own? I'm guessing not...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #43
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My local dealer only had an sDrive23. And that still looked cool (not too sure what size wheels they were but certainly not 19").

With my car due in the next two weeks (fingers crossed in time for the bank holiday weekend) I need to pop in next weekend to talk money and to probably take the 23 out for a quick spin.

Does anyone know if BMW allow for you to take the car out on your own? I'm guessing not...
Here in Wisconsin (US) we were able to take them out by ourselves, (I was surprised ) it might have helped that I pulled into the dealership with my current Z4... I'm guessing it's all up to your dealer.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #44
arisk
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive23i

Thank you very much my friend! You make me feel better because when I was about to order my car I haven't seen the standard and the sport seats and I didn;t knew the differences, so I ordered the standard seats and then I was unsure for this, I thought that it was a big mistake and I was sad for this...
Appreciate 0