New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #23
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

so i do not want to give anyone a false sense of hope...but i have been in convo with someone who worked for bmw engineering and at bmw hq. he told me bmw has a software fix in the works for this issue. i cannot vouch for this person, but it is possible he is telling the truth.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #24
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

riccis an ecu reset will do nothing for this issue. the best thing to do is have your dealer file a problem report with bmw engineering. if the person I spoke to was wrong, then the more people report the issue the greater likelyhood bmw will fix for us.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #25
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Twice now I started the car, then the engine shut down after a few seconds. Restart is no problem. No long cranks either. One time the engine was cold, the other time still warm. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #26
Teebone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.0i

Same Problem - Engine shuts off

I have had the same problem with my 2009 Z4 3.0. The first time was the first day we got it (back in September 09). Took a ride for about 2 hours (in sport mode), came to a stop sign and the car shut itself off. Restarted ok, and drove off no problem. Took it to the dealer and they ran tests which proved nothing as they said that no faults where recorded. This past weekend the same problem occurred (again in sport mode) at a stop light. Again, restarted and drove off. I would like to add that we drive the car mostly in normal mode and sometimes in sport mode. I called the dealer and am bringing the car back in to them this week. I would also like to add that both the transmission and adaptive suspension where put into sport mode when the problem occurred. Hoping for a software fix, or at least an acknowledement that a problem exists and "they are working on it". It seems too common based on ths thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #27
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

^^ it seems common...

typical statistical problem, if your sample only contains two people and both have the flu you would say 100% of the population are sick... that doesn't mean 7 billion people are sick.
      05-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #28
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

teebone, same advice to you. when you take it in make sure they file a engineering ticket directly with bmw. if a software fix is near, fine. but if not, then this is the only way to get bmw's attention.

for me, it has happened even with a full tank of 93 octane gas (the only grade of gas i use). the warmer the weather, the more likely. smoothly shuts off and smoothly turns back on. never any sputtering when taking off again. pretty much sport mode only. if it does happen in normal mode, then that's a very very rare occurrence (as 95% of my driving is in normal mode and i have never seen it in normal mode).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #29
Teebone
Registered
Rep

I also use 93 octane gas and had 3/4 of a tank this last time it failed, and was on the dealer's gas the first time it failed (as it was the first day I had the car). I will push the dealer harder this time for a solution as it is the second time it has happened. I have a good relationship with the dealer as this is my 4th BMW from them, and am hoping this loyalty will count for something. My appointment is this Friday, and I will post the results of the visit. As a note, all 3 of my other BMW's had software issues the first 2 years until patches where available. I am hoping this is the same type of issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #30
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinaustin View Post
riccis an ecu reset will do nothing for this issue. the best thing to do is have your dealer file a problem report with bmw engineering. if the person I spoke to was wrong, then the more people report the issue the greater likelyhood bmw will fix for us.
Mikeinaustin, maybe you're right and an ecu reset will do nothing to resolve the issue but if you don't try, then you don't know. Besides, my auto transmission was a little unresponsive so as far as I'm concerned no harm in trying.

I'll report it to the dealer when I next need to take the car in. It's only happened this once so far. Providing it doesn't happen too frequently then I probably won't bring it in to the dealer just to have this looked at and for them to tell me that there are no errors recorded and "can't find everything wrong".

I don't get the opportunity to drive in sports mode much as the better half gets a little nervous (no idea why) but as she's currently in the states for work as we Brits say, "When the cats away, the mouse will play." (the mouse being me ).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #31
Teebone
Registered
Rep

I brought the car in to the dealer yesterday (Friday) and explained the situation. I also referenced the other common cases I came across. The service advisor became very interested and called in the foreman who took this on as a challenge. In his opinion, it was transmission related.

They opened a puma case and where advised to reprogram the DME with a software update which they did.

I got the car back and drove it all day in sports mode without issue. Only time will tell...but the dealership assured me that the software fix was designed to fix this specific issue.

The car definitely downshifts better now when both the adaptive suspension/throttle and transmission are in sports mode.

Time will tell, but today I am very happy with the car and the fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #32
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

uhum what is a "puma case" ??? on your receipt is there any mention of an upgrade version # for the DME, ie, something we can take to our dealer and say give me version xx.yy to fix this issue.

anyway, this is good news, but as you say, only time will tell. lets hope for the best.

Last edited by mikeinaustin; 05-29-2010 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #33
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Problem management and after sales decline or in German: Problem und abnehmen management After Sales
      05-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #34
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

PUMA is very bad. This is the system BMW put in place a few years back to control dealerships warranty work. It was designed, IMHO, to reduce warranty cost by not allowing your dealer to make the repair and warranty call for its customer. Think big government or big brother from BMW looking over the dealer's shoulder.

I learned all about PUMA with my wife's first e89. This is the short story. Car was wrecked in New Jersey port after shipment from our ED - then repaired, which is why delivery was delayed 4+ weeks from port. We receive it and were not told but we later discovered the problem. One of the indications was the adaptive suspension warning light kept coming on every time we drove the car. The sysmbol is a shock on your warning screen. So, we take it in to our dealer to be fixed and they simply "reset" the computer to make sure it is out of "shipment/transport mode." That did not work b/c within 5 miles from the dealer driving home the warning light comes back on - we take it back. Then it sits and sits at the dealer and they tell us the "suspension module/computer" and it hd to be ordered out of Germany. Finally fixed but driving it home the light came on again - not fixed. Then we take it back in - now it needs front shocks (you guessed it, from Germany). Car is finally fixed but guess what - driving home, the warning light comes on again. Yep, now the dealer says rear shocks.

At this point, I am more than pissed because from day one the service rep told me the car needed all new shocks. This is when I had a long talk with the Service Manager and the PUMA process/screwing was explained to me. Regardless, PUMA would not authorize the full shock replacement b/c BMW wanted to try to repair it in 3-4 stages to see what was the cheapest instead of taking care of the customer. The dealer was VERY upset to because they knew what would fix and literally were not allowed to by BMW and the almighty PUMA system.

The dealer has to diagnose the problem, submit it to PUMA, wait for PUMA to authorize or dictate the repair, then order the parts, then hope the cheapest proposed repair will fix your car. As I said, PUMA sucks as hard as possible.

That being said, thank you BMW NA for getting us a new 2010 e89 after much discussion. This one is unwrecked and behaving almost perfectly.

Last edited by Vintage; 05-30-2010 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #35
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

That reinforces my comparison (in another thread) between BMW's No Cost Warranty and socialized medicine.

PUMA = socialized medicine

Good luck folks. You think your HMO or PPO is bad, just wait until the government adopts PUMA to determine how they should treat cancer.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #36
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Good luck folks. You think your HMO or PPO is bad, just wait until the government adopts PUMA to determine how they should treat cancer.
Not trying to be rude, but I'm sure there are other forums more suitable for discussing the government and politics.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #37
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Not trying to be rude, but I'm sure there are other forums more suitable for discussing the government and politics.
If you're not trying to be rude, then don't be. LOL

Not trying to be rude, but maybe folks in Finland don't like to discuss BMW's politics of PUMA?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #38
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
If you're not trying to be rude, then don't be. LOL

Not trying to be rude, but maybe folks in Finland don't like to discuss BMW's politics of PUMA?
?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #39
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
Not being rude and no reference to politics in this post ....

BMW just released a new Rev of the software for the E89, there is one for the 35i for sure. It is possible that the "Fix " is in although I have not had this problem it is obvious from the posts that it is quite common.

Two Questions: Is it more common in the 30 than in the 35 ??, and is the software rev for all the models or just the 35i ?

I got Rev 761 I believe, having started with Rev 759 in my '09 35i. I would think the rev is specific for the engine so if there is a rev for the 30 and I was having this issue I think I would look into getting it upgraded, at BMW's cost of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #40
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW4 View Post
?
Just having fun - no worries.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #41
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

this is only applies to the 3.0. I have never heard of a 3.5 stalling at a stoplight (though I guess id you had bad luck your hpfp could die right at that moment, but that is an entirely different issue).

again, does anyone have specific rev information for this 3.0 dme fix? how does one find out all the latest revs as bmw puts them out? where on the internet are bmw's tsbs to be found?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #42
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so i contacted my dealer and he says they cannot find any such software updates listed though bmw does issue them approx once a month. so if any of you have a specific version number or even your puma case number then i can have them use that as reference data as they contact bmw directly.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #43
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
I am going in on the 14th for hte same issue. Stalls when you stop and car comes back to idle. Usaually fine but in sport mode it nearly ALWAYS stalls when you stop. No warning lights just engine stops cold !! Cannot wait to see if the computer sotred anything when the stall occurs.

Will let you all know how I make out...

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #44
Z4-2023 Mike
Z4 Mike
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2023 Z4/M40i  [0.00]
Let me tag in as this just happened to my Z4 2010 3.0i auto while in sport at stop light, first day over 80F. Not a nice thing to happen. I did get to turn on my warning blinkers tho!!! while I fumbled with what happened and what to do. Hope there is a fix for this as sport mode is very nice.

Let us know if there is a specific software fix reference number for this situation.
Appreciate 0