New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Screeching sound while turning?

We are finally getting some good weather here and I had the opportunity to put the roof down today. I immediately noticed that while making sharp left turns, there is a screeching sound (metal on metal contact) coming from the right wheels (presumably the front?). I don't have to lock my wheels to produce the sound, but does require a pretty sharp turn to reproduce. At first I thought it was my heat shield not clearing my wheels when turning the wheel. I don't believe that is the problem.

Called my local BMW service, and I won't be able to get in until the end of June Anyone more mechanically inclined have any idea what this sound could be and if it's safe to drive? Don't want my springs flying out on me or wheels popping off while I'm on the highway or having a nice spirited drive home.

Looking online and people say it could be strut bearings or the power steering pump. Some say it could be a misalignment (when I went in last time for service a month ago they noticed feathering on my tires and wanted to do an alignment - I had one done less than a year ago and declined their $179.99 "special" offer + $79.99 balancing)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hey Cedar,

My GUESS is that it is a wheel bearing. Do you use a power sprayer to clear your wheels? I've heard anecdotes this can force the grease out of the wheel bearing and cause issues like what you have described.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

It's not the steering pump, that's electric. My guess is wheel bearing or brakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
realroadrage
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

x3, sounds like wheel bearing going.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

I do use a power spray to clean my wheels, just like the rest of the car. I do try to use low pressure though.

If it is indeed the wheel bearing, then it would seem that the car is unsafe to drive. For "emergencies" like this where the car is deemed hazardous to operate, is it possible to drop the car off at BMW to get a loaner vehicle for the time being? As mentioned before, they don't have an opening until June 30th... and I won't have the time to go to a different dealer as those are pretty far away and don't offer loaners.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
pmlnnrt
Phil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z-4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
I do use a power spray to clean my wheels, just like the rest of the car. I do try to use low pressure though.

If it is indeed the wheel bearing, then it would seem that the car is unsafe to drive. For "emergencies" like this where the car is deemed hazardous to operate, is it possible to drop the car off at BMW to get a loaner vehicle for the time being? As mentioned before, they don't have an opening until June 30th... and I won't have the time to go to a different dealer as those are pretty far away and don't offer loaners.
Am sure if you take it to Circle BMW in Eatontown NJ- they would get to it right away, they are really good - ! Dont know where you are in NJ -if the bearing only makes noise on a sharp turn, then you are probably OK to drive to Eatontown NJ -

Phil
Appreciate 0