New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-20-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Rjscharer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 z435is

End of the 35is?

England's z4 forum reports today that BMW will stop building the 35is this July
due to lack of worldwide demand. All the more reason to keep mine. Sad.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Got a link to anything concrete? Would love to know if it's true.

And, actually, its not that sad.

1. We've already passed the LCI and the E89 itself is entering the end of it's model cycle (for others, read: entering the end, I do not mean to say its ending now). BMW is already hard at work on its replacement, for which rumors abound, you can search/read about those in multiple places including this forum.

2. Demand for the IS was never high, and the flip side to that is that BMW also never planned to produce this car in numbers anyway. BMW gives each dealership an allocation for every car they build, allocation numbers are determined by that dealership's past performance bounced against BMW's product plan. Allocations for the IS were few and far between (at least in the States, BMW's largest single market); my dealership, a top-performer, had to trade with another in CA to be able to order mine. It's a niche car. Most likely, this decision was based on the good chance that between the cars currently available on dealer lots and those planned to be built through July, BMW's predicted demand for the IS through the remainder of E89 availability will be met. The one (albeit small) crowd for whom it does suck is anyone who wishes to order one after July. With no remaining allocations that will be impossible, so they'll need to do some tough searching, and potentially compromising, to get what they want.

3. As an IS owner, I'm very happy the numbers are so low. You don't see a ton of them out and it's nice to be recognized by others who 'know' the car, especially when it's de-badged like mine (bumpers/exhaust are the giveaway). Rare is good!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Rjscharer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 z435is

See the z4 forum.com,third item down on the first page discussing how few 35is cars are available in England,page two. Interesting discussion about how owners feel about our cars in merry old England.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
2. Demand for the IS was never high, and the flip side to that is that BMW also never planned to produce this car in numbers anyway. BMW gives each dealership an allocation for every car they build, allocation numbers are determined by that dealership's past performance bounced against BMW's product plan. Allocations for the IS were few and far between (at least in the States, BMW's largest single market); my dealership, a top-performer, had to trade with another in CA to be able to order mine. It's a niche car. Most likely, this decision was based on the good chance that between the cars currently available on dealer lots and those planned to be built through July, BMW's predicted demand for the IS through the remainder of E89 availability will be met. The one (albeit small) crowd for whom it does suck is anyone who wishes to order one after July. With no remaining allocations that will be impossible, so they'll need to do some tough searching, and potentially compromising, to get what they want.

3. As an IS owner, I'm very happy the numbers are so low. You don't see a ton of them out and it's nice to be recognized by others who 'know' the car, especially when it's de-badged like mine (bumpers/exhaust are the giveaway). Rare is good!
Allocations/ordering definitely vary by market. There were a LOT of 35is sitting around on the lot at Pacific BMW in LA when I was shopping for my car.

I personally look at the front brakes when I see a debadged Z4 to check if its a 35is, since the 28i/30i/35i have a different caliper and slightly smaller rotors. (US 35i gets the shaft, since the rest of the world 35i and 35is share the same brakes)

Hopefully the 35is will be a good collectible for you
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
I like the limited numbers also. My 11 F150 Limted is also a limited run Truck with only 3000ish made. It gets just as many comments from people as the car does, they are just different type of people though.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

2015 BMW Z4 Announced

There are three 2015 BMW Z4 configurations. The Z4 sDrive28i, Z4 sDrive35i, and Z4 sDrive35is cover all the bases, from Grand Touring to Sports Car.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Allocations/ordering definitely vary by market. There were a LOT of 35is sitting around on the lot at Pacific BMW in LA when I was shopping for my car.

I personally look at the front brakes when I see a debadged Z4 to check if its a 35is, since the 28i/30i/35i have a different caliper and slightly smaller rotors. (US 35i gets the shaft, since the rest of the world 35i and 35is share the same brakes)

Hopefully the 35is will be a good collectible for you
After the 1M incident… things were bad there. People avoided (and are still avoiding I think) that dealership

I almost got a loaded 2014 35iS from them. $700/month tax inc, 0 drive off (7MSD) IIRC. it's been a while, so i may have mixed something up, but that's the numbers i remember.
I'm happy I waited…as I am in love with my SL550 now. A totally different class of car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
After the 1M incident… things were bad there. People avoided (and are still avoiding I think) that dealership

I almost got a loaded 2014 35iS from them. $700/month tax inc, 0 drive off (7MSD) IIRC. it's been a while, so i may have mixed something up, but that's the numbers i remember.
I'm happy I waited…as I am in love with my SL550 now. A totally different class of car.
Pacific has some great deals on euro delivery and my buying experience there was great from a negotiation standpoint.

My 35i is leased, and I have no intention of buying it out, so however they PDI is dirt off my shoulder. If they warmed it up before hammering it, maybe I should thank them for breaking it in properly for best ring seal

If I bought my car.. I'd have a different thought....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #9
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pacific has some great deals on euro delivery and my buying experience there was great from a negotiation standpoint.

My 35i is leased, and I have no intention of buying it out, so however they PDI is dirt off my shoulder. If they warmed it up before hammering it, maybe I should thank them for breaking it in properly for best ring seal

If I bought my car.. I'd have a different thought....
yeah I would have no problem leasing a car from there as long as the numbers match up (I don't even care about a demo car as long as the numbers are much better).
I lease a new car every Xmas, so I don't care about longevity. I'm just happy I didn't pick up that 35iS because I ended up getting a SL550, which is a much better car (coming from a 09 z4 35i and a 11 z4 35i msport, i have my fair share of experience behind the e89 Z4)
It's not as tight around the corners due to the extra size… but as a daily driver, it's a winner. Much better class as luxurious features.

I would've definitely gone with a Z4 M… if they made it… and I don't mean the N54 they put in the 1M… I mean an E89 Z4 with the S65. THAT would be a car I would gladly take….
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
I'm just happy I didn't pick up that 35iS because I ended up getting a SL550, which is a much better car (coming from a 09 z4 35i and a 11 z4 35i msport, i have my fair share of experience behind the e89 Z4) It's not as tight around the corners due to the extra size… but as a daily driver, it's a winner. Much better class as luxurious features.
To me, this is like saying: "I'm just so happy I didn't pick up a 135i because I ended up getting a 550i instead".

Price list from China
Z4 35i: RMB 799,000 (USD 128,180)
Z4 35is: RMB 909,000
SL350 Luxury Sport: RMB 1,548,000 (USD 248,339)
SL550 (not available)
SL63 AMG: RMB 2,398,000
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
To me, this is like saying: "I'm just so happy I didn't pick up a 135i because I ended up getting a 550i instead".

Price list from China
Z4 35i: RMB 799,000 (USD 128,180)
Z4 35is: RMB 909,000
SL350 Luxury Sport: RMB 1,548,000 (USD 248,339)
SL550 (not available)
SL63 AMG: RMB 2,398,000

Not surprised about those prices in China

A 135i and a 550i are two completely different cars. One is a 2 door coupe (or convertible), while the other is a 4 door, large 5 seater sedan.

The Z4 and SL are both 2 seater roadsters, so while they are in different classes, they are a similar type of vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I just got back from the mainland and I'm so stoked to be back in the US. That kind of vehicle pricing just reinforces my personal decision to stay stateside. haha.

Fun place to be a rich person though!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fun place to be a rich person though!
I can't think of a place that wouldn't be fun if you're rich :P
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #14
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

China - a fun place if you are a foreign person
Europe - a fun place if you are a local person
SoCal - a fun place if you are a cool person

Which is why I only ever lived in SoCal for 3 months haha
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #15
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:

A 135i and a 550i are two completely different cars. One is a 2 door coupe (or convertible), while the other is a 4 door, large 5 seater sedan.

The Z4 and SL are both 2 seater roadsters, so while they are in different classes, they are a similar type of vehicle.
Well you are right. And since I am representing China, of course I am just thinking about the new 1-series, because we get the 5 seater 5-door hatchback here. The coupe is a very rare sight unfortunately.

But yes, the 5-series is 57cm longer than the 1-series while the SL is only 38cm longer than the Z4. Not a perfect comparison. The Z4 however is shorter than a 1-series, while the SL is as long as a the new 3-series.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well you are right. And since I am representing China, of course I am just thinking about the new 1-series, because we get the 5 seater 5-door hatchback here. The coupe is a very rare sight unfortunately.

But yes, the 5-series is 57cm longer than the 1-series while the SL is only 38cm longer than the Z4. Not a perfect comparison. The Z4 however is shorter than a 1-series, while the SL is as long as a the new 3-series.
Could you please elaborate why one car being longer or shorter has any real relevance?

Whether a SL being 10cm or 50cm longer than the Z4…. still makes it the same type of car (2 door roadster).
The Z4, SLK, SL, Boxster (among others, like the SLS Convertible and Miata) are are 2 seater roadsters.
While the 1 series is a 2+2 Coupe/convertible, and the 5 series is a 5 seater 4 door sedan.

Unfortunately, I still fail to see how comparing a 1er to a 5er is in anyway a similar comparison to a Z4 and SL? (or Z4 and SLK, or Boxster to Z4, etc)

I'm just trying to understand what what you were trying to convey simply due to my curiosity

Would you be able to import a car from the US for personal use and save on taxes?

And when you said " 5 seater 5-door hatchback here"

I assume you mean the 5 series Gran Turismo?
I'm unfamiliar with a 5 seater 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #17
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Could you please elaborate why one car being longer or shorter has any real relevance?

Whether a SL being 10cm or 50cm longer than the Z4…. still makes it the same type of car (2 door roadster).
The Z4, SLK, SL, Boxster (among others, like the SLS Convertible and Miata) are are 2 seater roadsters.
While the 1 series is a 2+2 Coupe/convertible, and the 5 series is a 5 seater 4 door sedan.

Unfortunately, I still fail to see how comparing a 1er to a 5er is in anyway a similar comparison to a Z4 and SL? (or Z4 and SLK, or Boxster to Z4, etc)

I'm just trying to understand what what you were trying to convey simply due to my curiosity

Would you be able to import a car from the US for personal use and save on taxes?

And when you said " 5 seater 5-door hatchback here"

I assume you mean the 5 series Gran Turismo?
I'm unfamiliar with a 5 seater 1 series.
Alright, so am I saying that the Z4 is comparable to a 1-series and the SL to a 5-series as a driving/luxury experience? No, I hope it did not come across that way. I was just referring to the price (and size) difference.

Anyway, I assume you called the 5-series a 5 seater because they installed 5 pairs of seat belts in it. The same is true for the F20 1-series sold here. Yup, it actually has 3 seat belts in the back. Am I stretching things with my comparison? Yup, but at least we can agree they both belong to the class of non-roadsters which are inherently not comparable to either the SL or Z4 as driving experiences.

All I am saying, really, is that you bought a car which is about twice as expensive as the Z4 here in China. So your review is a bit misplaced here. Of course you never intended it to be, because most guys here are based outside China. I totally trust that you are right in comparing the cars where you live. I was just bringing in a different perspective for the fun of it. The perspective however NOT being that you bought the 5-series equivalent of a roadster (except price-wise, relative to certain 1-series).

Another example is the stingray which is also about twice as expensive as the Z4 here, but not so much in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #18
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Oh, and regarding the import question, the answer is no, unless you are a diplomat, and then you still face duties if I remember correctly. Things were better in the past where foreign-owned cars were tax exempt and used special black license plates.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #19
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright, so am I saying that the Z4 is comparable to a 1-series and the SL to a 5-series as a driving/luxury experience? No, I hope it did not come across that way. I was just referring to the price (and size) difference.

Anyway, I assume you called the 5-series a 5 seater because they installed 5 pairs of seat belts in it. The same is true for the F20 1-series sold here. Yup, it actually has 3 seat belts in the back. Am I stretching things with my comparison? Yup, but at least we can agree they both belong to the class of non-roadsters which are inherently not comparable to either the SL or Z4 as driving experiences.

All I am saying, really, is that you bought a car which is about twice as expensive as the Z4 here in China. So your review is a bit misplaced here. Of course you never intended it to be, because most guys here are based outside China. I totally trust that you are right in comparing the cars where you live. I was just bringing in a different perspective for the fun of it. The perspective however NOT being that you bought the 5-series equivalent of a roadster (except price-wise, relative to certain 1-series).

Another example is the stingray which is also about twice as expensive as the Z4 here, but not so much in the US.
Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification.

I actually didn't "buy" the car. I would never ever buy a luxury car/sports car or anything similar to it as it goes against my needs. The only car I currently [own] is a Nissan Frontier (truck) as I plan to keep it for years (kept the previous GMC truck for ~10 years).

Beside the truck, the longest car I've ever had in my possession is 20 months. Since I change cars so often, as well as owning two different businesses, leasing is the way for me. I'm able to return cars often as well as have them be tax deductible (both businesses, while different, do require at least 1 vehicle).

The lease on my SL, while more than the Z4, was not twice as much (not even close).
It's about ~1.3 times the cost, which is why I did it. I was able to get a significantly better car for only about a ~32% increase in overall cost for me.

To clarify why I was confused: Yes, I was thinking that you're comparing a 5 seater (5/1) to a Z4/SL meaning that they're comparable cars (which they're not). I understand where you're coming from now.

Crazy how the C7 is so expensive there… it's cheaper than a 35iS here..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 02:42 AM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Yea, we have it good here in the US!

You have to be BOSS to buy (straight cash) a German car, and pay USD$9/gallon gas, not to mention all the other costs (like paying $20k just for the right to buy a car in some places)
Appreciate 0