New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Looking for stock alightment settings - heavy tire wear

Does anyone has the info on a stock E89 alightment settings? I am looking for the camber , toe in/out of the car.

Driven my car on 19" aftermarket wheels and rubber and only today when I swop in a new set did I realise there was heavy wear on the inside of the rear tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

That's normal. If you have the sport package you should only expect 15k miles at most.
      12-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

kinda strange how every car is different, on my g35 with 19's i get heavy wear on the outside of the rear tires coupled with heavy wear on the inside of the front.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
That's normal. If you have the sport package you should only expect 15k miles at most.
Not sure I agree.

Do you mean they change the wheel geometry if you have the sports package added (and by sports package I'm assuming you mean the adaptive suspension and larger wheels)?

I wouldn't expect there to be heavy wear any where on the wheel as a result of the standard/factory setup but it's possible that as a result of adding the after market wheels etc that the wheels then need alignment.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

So in response to the original question: what are the best alignment settings for the Z4?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
So in response to the original question: what are the best alignment settings for the Z4?
Didn't think alignment settings were car specific (unless your setting up the car for the track). I stand to be corrected of course but I always thought the idea of wheel alignment was to ensure that the car tracks straight and true and that the wheels are perpendicular to the roads surface.

Best advice I can give the OP is to take the car to a good reputable garage that specializes in wheels and wheel alignment and get it checked. Shouldn't even cost too much. I'm guessing but let's say GBP £40 (which if it adds a few thousand miles to the life of his tyres is money well spent).

PS: After alignment, take the car for a test drive to make sure everything feels OK.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I took it to my regular alightment workshop, and was surprised to find out the car come stock with negative 2.5 degree of camber. that explains why the inside is gone so fast.

The camber is adjustable for this car. But i was advised against doing it as a many of those that reduced the camber found out the car doesnt handle as well.

One trival point to note, send your car in for an alightment you may find out that the settings might be different for all four sides. i.e toe and camber settings different for left and right. The 50 bucks I spent on having them all re-alighted is defintely worth it. Car handles much better.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #8
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Every car is different. Then you have different settings for street, fast street and track etc...

You will be suprised how much different various car be and how sensitive they can be to minute changes in alignment...especially sports cars. To get the best alignment you really need to ballast the driver seat with a bag of sand or sit in it while they do the alignment as the extra weight can throw it off. Many cars lack total adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sDrive 35i DCT

If anyone is running the Bridgestone 19" Runflats, there is a known issue (to users but Bridgestone are refusing to admit it) with premature and uneven wear. It's been going on for a while so a quick Google should turn up something.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodeep View Post
If anyone is running the Bridgestone 19" Runflats, there is a known issue (to users but Bridgestone are refusing to admit it) with premature and uneven wear. It's been going on for a while so a quick Google should turn up something.
Just so I'm clear, the issue you're referring to affects only the 19" bridgestone RFT's or does it also affect the 18" Bridgestone RFT's? Got my Z4 with the 18" multispoke alloys which came with Bridgestone RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sDrive 35i DCT

I've read recently about a few customers having problems with excessive edge wear on their Bridgestone RFTs. All insist they check their pressures regularly whilst Bridgestone blame under-inflation. I seem to remember that Bridgestone gave consideration to reimbursing a percentage of the replacement cost and then reneged on this blaming user neglect. I cannot remember where I was reading this but I know they were talking about the 19" specifically. That is not to say the 18" is not affected but no-one on 18s contributed to the thread.

While searching to locate this discussion again it has become evident that the sooner we can ditch the RFTs the better. There are the complaints you would expect about ride quality but there are others which range from lack of longevity and poor wet performance through complete tyre failure and alloy wheel damage. I have no experience of any other tyre on the z4 but can attest that a friend who has switched from Bridgestone Potenza RFTs to regular tyres on a 335i, solely because he got a good deal, has been amazed at the improvement and he had no particular issue with car before the change.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I have thought of fitting non RFT's when the time comes to replace them but there's always the worry of what to do if you get a puncture. Guess I could buy a can of that tyre sealant.

Anyway, if you do come across the thread, please post.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccis View Post
I have thought of fitting non RFT's when the time comes to replace them but there's always the worry of what to do if you get a puncture. Guess I could buy a can of that tyre sealant.

Anyway, if you do come across the thread, please post.
For now, I'm sticking with the RFT's. M models have had "mobility kits" which is a pump and a can of sealant. I fortunately never had to use mine on an E39 M5, but the pump did come in handy.

You should be able to get an M Mobility kit from any BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0