New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
myst
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4

iPhone music solution

Hey guys, I just got my Z4, and I use my iPhone for music through the aux jack. At first I used an aux cable and car charger that I had from my 328i coupe, but it was pretty uncomfortable to use because of the layout of the Z4 (no iDrive). I pretty much didn't have a spot to put the phone and change the songs. I just purchased the Kensington LiquidAUX (about $35 online), and it's pretty great. It replaces the need for a seperate aux cable because it uses a direct audio connection. So basically you plug one end in the car charger and aux cable slots in the center console, and the other end just plugs into the bottom of the iPhone, there's no need to plug a cable into the headphone jack of the phone. The great part about this product though is the remote control. It works even if the iPhone is in the center console. It gives the interior a much cleaner look, makes the use of an iPhone as an ipod in the car a lot simpler (just one connection), and it is very convenient with the remote control. I'm really happy with the purchase and I'll post pictures later.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

i use this http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...d=21996&view=5 and simply use A2DP, set my playlist to shuffle and enjoy the drive...
      11-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
myst
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
i use this http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...d=21996&view=5 and simply use A2DP, set my playlist to shuffle and enjoy the drive...
Well what do you do when you want to skip a song? Pull up the phone, unlock it, press ipod and then press next?

Also, does that work if I have my iPhone connected to the car's bluetooth? It can't be connected to two devices at once. That is pretty cool, but I prefer my solution for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Pretty cool myst, Im looking for an iphone solution too, but I have three questions:

1. Does the iphone screen stay on when the cable is plugged ? I dont want the phone to switch off after a while ... For me the remote is useless, cause Ive made a custom dock using the front cupholder and Im able to operate the phone easily.

2. The cigarette plug looks too big ... Can you plug a USB stick simultaneously ?

3. Can you place or take calls when LiqAUX is plugged to the phone ?
      11-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
myst
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpapg View Post
Pretty cool myst, Im looking for an iphone solution too, but I have three questions:

1. Does the iphone screen stay on when the cable is plugged ? I dont want the phone to switch off after a while ... For me the remote is useless, cause Ive made a custom dock using the front cupholder and Im able to operate the phone easily.

2. The cigarette plug looks too big ... Can you plug a USB stick simultaneously ?

3. Can you place or take calls when LiqAUX is plugged to the phone ?
1. Yes, the screen stays on because it's connected to a charger.
2. I don't have a USB port in my car so I don't know if it would block it, but the charger is pretty small.
3. Yeah, you can take calls when it's plugged in.

Anyway, I don't think this is for you, the reason I got it is because of the remote, if you don't need that then you can just find a similar product without the remote.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Just one more questions:

If someone calls you while music is playing, are you able to hear the call and caller's voice from car's speakers ?
      11-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
myst
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpapg View Post
Just one more questions:

If someone calls you while music is playing, are you able to hear the call and caller's voice from car's speakers ?
Yes you can, if your car has bluetooth, if not I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
wsscott
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4

A2DP connectivity???

My headunit doesn't have A2DP that I'm aware of. I've just got the basic headunit with bluetooth connection for the iphone. My Kenwood headunit in my Touareg does have A2DP connectivity and it works fine. Let me know how you connect to the A2DP bluetooth connection. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...roductid=21996

fixed

Last edited by Memphis1; 12-08-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
wsscott
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4

The link doesn't work.
Appreciate 0