New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

e89 vs e85?

Not trying to stir up trouble here! I've been shopping for an e85 3.0si, but I'm noticing that '09-'10 e89's aren't that much more expensive, my two primary concerns, are performance and reliability. I will never track or autocross the car, but I live in the Texas hill country so I will take it out for spirited drives. Also, it will be my primary transportation, but I work from home so I'm rarely in traffic. I know the sdrive35i offers more performance, but they're pushing my budget limit and I know 335i's (same engine) have a very questionable reliability reputation. So it appears it would be between an e85 3.0si and an sdrive30i. Maybe an sdrive35i. Also, I will not do any work on it myself, but I have a great indie shop close to me, and will probably put about 12,000 miles a year on it.

Would love to hear any opinions. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I love the 1st and 2nd generation E85, but having driven an early 1990's E85 a 2010 E89 3.0 and DRIVE a E89 35 the performance will speak for itself.
If you looking for the best performance value proposition and drive all 3 cars you will easily determine the E89 35ii the only way to go, in my humble opinion.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
aznoo1
Private
Rep
Drives: z4

i've owned both till recently selling the e85. THe e89 is a lot more refined, and comfortable. THe e85 feels like a go cart.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

One thing I like about the E89 compared to other convertibles I have owned or driven in the past is the visibility. Not a huge issue on a performance car for most, but something I appreciate about the retractable hard top. It also looks better. Of course there is a trade off in the form of more weight and complexity. It has been a while since I have driven an E85, but I believe their handling is a good amount better, stock vs. stock. The E89 is geared more towards comfort as has been mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Lazyboy2010
Rep
Drives: 2010 3.0i Havana

I have a 2010 E89 30i and my son has a 2004 E85. I drive them both quite a bit, often back to back.

E85 is lighter, sportier feeling.
E89 much roomier feeling, even though not much bigger. Also more luxurious.

Acceleration a dead heat (we've tried it many times) with extra horsepower of e89 offsetting extra weight. My fat ass is in e89 in these tests, so there is probably a slight edge for the e89. Son's e85 has coilovers, so maybe handling is actually very close with stock machines. Several early reviews thought E89 actually handled better, but I don't see that. A lot of criticism of electronic steering. After a week you don't notice. It's just different, not better or worse for normal sport driving. If you want to track either of these, you in the wrong wheelhouse.

E85 is really very quiet for ragtop, but no comparison to E89. also no comparison for refinement of interior or top.

If you are talking 12,000 a year E89 wins easily.

A lot of comment about low sales figures for E89 compared to E85.
E89 debuted in recession, cost way more, and competed against greatly improved competition. You could always just afford an E85 for "fun car only". not so with E89.

Used prices change the entire dynamic.

Now my 2 cents on engines, which will piss a lot of people off.

I think the normally aspirated engines will last a lot longer. I think BMW has a HUGE problem with both direct injection and turbo.

I have a 2011 F04 750 li that has probably cured my addiction to BMW.
Killer fun to drive (0-60 in 4.7 sec and 45 mph roundabouts in a car that FLOATS over bad roads in comfort mode). Currently at Dealer, as it has been for about a third of the time I have owned it. BMW has stonewalled owners for 6 years on this. It was our fault. Now suddenly "customer care" program replacing a number of things that owners have paid 6 to 8 thousand to replace/repair.
Intake valve carbon deposits and other problems remain. I didn't pay 105K to be a beta tester. Oddly, I find the "just trade it in on a new one, we've made a lot of improvements and we'll give you 30K for yours on trade" to be somehow unsatisfactory.

Z4 tend to get a lot less miles than luxury cars, so these problems haven't bitten them nearly as badly yet (although this board is rife wth injector and high pressure fuel pump complaints, you ain't seen nothin' yet.)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, personally I think the folding hard top is an amazing feature for a street only car. Open air fun when you want and security of the fixed roof and quite ride at other times. I would go for the e89 3.0 in this case.

The in cabin tech improved a lot with e89 too.

As for the carbon build up comments, personally I think if you drive your car hard consistently this isn't really an issue
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
Lazyboy2010
Rep
Drives: 2010 3.0i Havana

I agree that the top is a Huge feature. Mine has been flawless and squeak free for my entire ownership.

As we were getting gas to put car into storage this fall, a kid at the pump next to us started hollering to his siblings about the amazing car. I said "do you want to see her do her trick? and put the top up, to applause and more hollering from the kids in the car. Lazygirl, sitting next to me, says "what are you...thirteen?". I couldn't help it. Just had to smile.

It is also very practical. Really two cars in one. Beautiful in either configuration.

Concerning the carbon, yeah it seems to cluster to the Northern states and short trips. Not a problem that I've personally had (though I've had most of the others. N63 a HOT MESS). I apologize to the board for almost derailing the thread just because I'm butt hurt
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyboy2010 View Post
Concerning the carbon, yeah it seems to cluster to the Northern states and short trips. Not a problem that I've personally had (though I've had most of the others. N63 a HOT MESS). I apologize to the board for almost derailing the thread just because I'm butt hurt
You bring up a point I agree with, that the N52 is potentially the most reliable power train since it doesn't use turbo/direct injection tech.

Since OP was focused on e85 or e89 3.0, it didn't seem like the N54 (or N63) potential issues were relevant

As for the top, another benefit we haven't discussed is the e89 hard top seals very well to the point that you can take the car into automatic touchless car washes just like a fixed roof car. No chance of this in a rag top
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
As for the top, another benefit we haven't discussed is the e89 hard top seals very well to the point that you can take the car into automatic touchless car washes just like a fixed roof car.
But we'd never do that, of course.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
But we'd never do that, of course.
I take it to those touchless car washes all the time.

It isn't as thorough as DIY hand wash but it is very convenient and there is no risk of swirl marks
Appreciate 0