New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Officer Dibble
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: sdrive35is

top of the range music system...

...and that's all it can produce? Unless I am doing something wrong - the music sounds a tad flat. Tried the equalizer, the surround on and off, it all sounds a bit lacking something.

sorry for this post. i found my answer but don't know how to delete this post. so please ignore this post.

Last edited by Officer Dibble; 10-17-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
BMW's 'premium' system has never been all that. Even the Logic7 in our 5 series doesn't come close to the aftermarket system I had running in my old Accord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
...and that's all it can produce? Unless I am doing something wrong - the music sounds a tad flat. Tried the equalizer, the surround on and off, it all sounds a bit lacking something.

sorry for this post. i found my answer but don't know how to delete this post. so please ignore this post.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Officer Dibble
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep

yes MARCW even looking back at an SLK that i owned with the most basic sound system was light years away. However, in fairness, the sound is good with a CD but crap with iPod hooked up. I have not tried USB stick playback nor the playback from the built in HDD either. I just expected better from ... is it still the ol "blaupunkt" that bmw uses or have the changed it to something else meanwhile.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

my father noticed some problem on his (Z4M coupe with DSP audio system)after 3 weeks after the purchase and went to the dealer, thinking amplifier was faulty....
dealer suggested this:
http://www.amplifon.it/wps/wcm/conne...zioni+uditive/

I was joking...sorry for that.Can you tell us How you fixed the flat music and lacks-of-something?
maybe it could be useful for the other z4 owners.....
regards and sorry for the stupid comment,
Francesco
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I have the version just below the Logic7 pro unit and frankly, I haven't noticed anything unusual, in fact better playback than my "Mark Levinson" in my Lexus.

All my mp3's are recorded at 320kbps (a few at 256k) and I think the sound is awesome.

I know some mp3's are recorded at significantly lower quality (say around 196k) and therefore simply don't sound that great (i.e. either you have to crank it to get any "volume" or you get distortion).

My 2 cents
Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by siscobmw View Post
my father noticed some problem on his (Z4M coupe with DSP audio system)after 3 weeks after the purchase and went to the dealer, thinking amplifier was faulty....
dealer suggested this:
http://www.amplifon.it/wps/wcm/conne...zioni+uditive/
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
Officer Dibble
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep

LOL SISCO. Yes, that wouldn't hurt either. That would be last resort rescue - getting on here with age!!

I haven't solved any problems, just realized that playback from ipod is not great due to either ipod setting(EQ, etc...)

However, CD playback was very good. Anyway, the Mark Levinson playback ought to be top on the lexus Dave, i have heard it in on my bro's Lexus and it is really very good.

I will try to not equalize my ipod or save to car HDD and give you feedback on it. Also, will try higher bit rate sampling on tracks on ipod.

In honesty, CD play back is really very good, i actually prefer the non surround mode with a slight rear fade(just a couple of notches)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Officer Dibble
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep

Also, i have not tries USB stick in the glove box. Will see what that can do.
Another thing is to try Apple loss less, never tried that and have no clue what it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Officer Dibble!

Definitely lose the EQ setting. I didn't think of that when I replied earlier, but as soon as I read your last post, I realized that would definitely have an impact on sound quality / playback.

You're right re: the Mark Levinson - sound is definitely great and definitely comparable to my Z.
Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

I agree about cd: sounds really good.
I agree also on ipod: I have not sat nav, only professional radio and 11 speakers system, when I plug ipod , internal equalizer is disabled , but bad Kbps songs sound terribly, itunes downloads seem to be really good,apple lossless are brilliant as itunes songs,320kbps are similar to cd quality....
Francesco
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Officer Dibble
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep

Well, i have tried apple loss less and quality is really good, anything with high bit rate(i.e. Michael Jackson) is really brilliant. Below 320kbps as Dave mentioned is not up to par.
CD quality is quite good. Absolutely need to switch off EQ on iPod.
So actually quite good sound from the music system. I don't even use the car surround most times. Just have the fader one/two notches plus towards the rear.
Radio is good and reception in underground parkings are pretty good.

Can live with this.
Appreciate 0