New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-27-2015, 02:56 AM   #1
torq
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Comfort Access no longer works on one key fob

The Comfort Access feature no longer works on one of my key fobs. I replaced the battery and it made no difference. The fob still opens and locks the doors if I press the buttons and it starts the car if I insert it into the slot. I have looked but couldn't find any setting that could have disabled this.

The Comfort Access feature works properly on my other key fob.

The car is still under factory warranty but only for a few more days. Will BMW replace the fob under warranty? If not, any idea what a new one costs?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

time to make an appt before warranty is up!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
torq
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Dang it! I was hoping it was a setting that I had overlooked.

I did notice one additional oddity. When I insert the key into the slot to start the car, a picture of a key (not a key with a slash through it and not a key with the + sign which would indicate a weak battery) appears, but the car starts normally. I can't find that symbol anywhere in the manual.

Does your comment imply that BMW will replace the key fob under warranty? From the limited searching I've done, I'm not about to spend over $300 for a new key fob just for Comfort Access since everything else seems to be working.

Also, do you know if I bring the car in while the warranty is still in effect, but the warranty expires before the new key arrives, does the warranty still cover the cost? Actually, this question applies to all warranty work, not just replacing a key.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

Quote:
Originally Posted by torq View Post
Dang it! I was hoping it was a setting that I had overlooked.

I did notice one additional oddity. When I insert the key into the slot to start the car, a picture of a key (not a key with a slash through it and not a key with the + sign which would indicate a weak battery) appears, but the car starts normally. I can't find that symbol anywhere in the manual.

Does your comment imply that BMW will replace the key fob under warranty? From the limited searching I've done, I'm not about to spend over $300 for a new key fob just for Comfort Access since everything else seems to be working.

Also, do you know if I bring the car in while the warranty is still in effect, but the warranty expires before the new key arrives, does the warranty still cover the cost? Actually, this question applies to all warranty work, not just replacing a key.
you are running out of time now. the best way to find out the correct answer is call your dealer.

Last edited by 18LLC; 06-29-2015 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0