New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-17-2023, 04:49 PM   #23
JiveTalker
Jive Talker Bristol
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 3.0 orion silver

Question Help with Mr12Volt P2000 MMI box with integrated OEM microphone support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejnfelt View Post
Thanks Dave, I already managed to finish the installation, also thanks to your great tutorial. A few things are already different. The mic splitter you made yourself is now included standard.
I also bought the new box with the OEM microphone. This is the first mod I've attempted on my car, so I got a rocket scientist friend to help me install it!

Things got off to a bad start in that it took over an hour to get the front panel off the head unit! The gear knob then refused to come off but I was able to remove the other trim with it still in place. With so much time lost, it got too dark to finish the job today.

I found Dave's video very helpful though there are some differences with the new box. One of the connectors on the back has changed it seems that the microphone cable now connects to the main harness and the other end needs to be wired through to somewhere in the steering column?

There are a couple of other things I'm unclear about:

1. I'm never going to own an iPhone, I will only ever use Android. What will this new link to the existing inbuilt microphone allow me to do? I don't want to dismantle the steering column if there is no benefit for Android users.

2. My car doesn't have a CD changer and I haven't yet coded it. When I finish connecting everything up, will everything work just the same as before until I code it or will things not work at all? This is quite important to know. None of the instructions advise what will happen if you wire up before coding?

3. I was expecting a 3 pin connector for the iDrive but my car has a 4 pin connector. Perhaps that is something else, maybe the electric handbrake? I think I'm a bit out of my depth here!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 03:13 AM   #24
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Pass on Android..I sssume it will work just as well as Apple…

Idrive controller is 4 pins

Ebrake is multi pinned connector

Everything should remain the same save you will have two entries in the CD page..one for the original cd player in the head unit and another cd which is the Mr12 Volt launch place..click on that and it will take you to the Mr12 Volt interface..

Sometimes you end up with 3 additional entries ..any of them will launch Mr 12 Volt
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 04:36 AM   #25
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

JiveTalker.....

1 - It allows you to talk to 'Hey Google', so yes it's still of use. If you're never going to bother with that AND you are using the original Bluetooth for calls, then you don't need it.

2 - It'll do nothing if CDC is not already there, nothing will work from the box, when you go to CD it'll state No CD, that's it.

3 - Not sure what you've got but I've just fitted one of these new boxes and the power connection etc is now via the Quadlock connector at the rear of the headunit and no longer the 4 pin plug on the iDrive controller.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 04:38 AM   #26
Hejnfelt
Private
Estonia
Rep
Drives: ‘13 BMW Z4 sDrive 35is

JiveTalker I took my time too to ensure nothing broke and yes, it's not an hours installation as many make it seem when you haven't done something like this before and go slow to ensure nothing breaks.

On Android, you can use Google assistant which is the Android version of Siri. Mainly it's to use the steering wheel voice command button to speak and have the system do something without having to fiddle iwth idrive. "Call [someone]" or "Play [specific song] in spotify" etc.

With the old box it required a separate mic, with this new box it wires into your steering wheel column microphone. To me it was not at all difficult to get the top of the steering wheel column cover off. Following B21s and KennyPs suggestions, I put a straight trim removal wedge into the crach between the top and bottom steering column trim and used the created gap, to fit a 90 degree trim removal piece in that gap. Then pulling on the 90 degree trim tool, the top will pop off. Understanding how the top secures to the bottom, you'll just have to pull on the top to make it come off. In the attached photo see the 3 upside down "U" shaped trim tabs, they click into cylindrical trim tabs on the bottom piece. You just need to pull those apart to get it off and there's essentially nothing that can "catch" that might break.

The wire you see is the microphone and it's a b**** to unplug. After you unplug it, it's straight forward to replug the splitter wire and there's already a cable "route" in the column for existing wires. Having a friend help "feed" the mic splitter wire from the steering column side while someone with relatively small hands can grab it from the center console radio main compartment. When you grab it, just pull it through and you're golden.

What exact wire did you have to connect to the idrive controller? Mine didn't have to connect to anything and I think it must have been something that was necessary on the older box models but not on this newer one. Can you put a picture of the cables you got?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #27
JiveTalker
Jive Talker Bristol
Rep

Thanks Hejnfelt, DavesZed and B21 for your advice, it has been really helpful.

After a few days break (dealing with life!), I got back to this today.

I have wired up the box and coded it successfully. There were some gotchas along the way (wrong unlabelled switch position on K-DCan, TRC files confusingly labelled as SQL Server Profile files and the coding 'execute' only working after I turned the engine on, I guess as the car battery was getting low.

I synched with my Android phone fine. As I removed the key from the ignition the screen started to close but jammed halfway as a pen had rolled in behind it. I put the key in and out a few times and the second time the screen also went blank. For several minutes I thought the screen was broken. This roughly coincided with me switching off bluetooth on my phone so I learnt that a failed bluetooth connection produces a blank screen and also disables the screen motor!

Anyway, tomorrow I'm hoping to get the cowling off and run the microphone cable through so I can then put all the panels back in.

I read somewhere about Android Auto needing to have a wired connection to the phone but I can't remember where or why? Does this ring any bells? The reason I ask is that I have cigarette lighter sockets in both the armrest (at the back next to the auxillary audio socket) and also an ashtray behind the gear lever but I don't have any data connectors other than the USB in the glovebox and the USB cable attached to this new box which I guess I'll also run to the glovebox.

I know there is a SD card slot on the box for firmware updates but I'm wondering whether they can also be done using the attached USB lead or via the phone? I really don't want to have to dismantle the glovebox again, it took absolutely ages to get it apart!

My car is from 2009 and has a proprietary iPhone connector build into the arm rest. I don't use an iphone so have no idea whether it is just a charger or also would have a data connection that I could potentially convert to USB-C?

If I only need to be able to charge the phone then I have adaptors for the cigarette lighter sockets to do that but if I need a data conneciton then that is a whole different story!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 04:40 PM   #28
B21
Captain
Rep

The firmware can only be loaded via the micro so slot..there are micro ss slot cable extenders if that helps.

Actually once you’ve learnt slowly and painfully how to pull the trim apart it’s not so bad next time around.

The snap in phone unit is a full usb / serial connection.

I’ve wasted a lot of time converting it to a usb port but there’s no apparent logic in the combox to allow it to function as a standard usb port..sadly..

I also made my own custom bmw boot logo for mr 12 volt box splash screen as well as my own logo for the system access within the menu system

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic...volt&start=525
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 05:06 PM   #29
JiveTalker
Jive Talker Bristol
Rep

That looks cool. My Mr12Volt box was brand new this month so I guess I can't change the splash and system access images then?

Do you know of any reason to need a wired data connection to an Android phone?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 03:12 AM   #30
JiveTalker
Jive Talker Bristol
Rep

Question P2000 Series Firmware Updates - Easy access to box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
The firmware can only be loaded via the micro so slot..there are micro ss slot cable extenders if that helps.

Actually once you’ve learnt slowly and painfully how to pull the trim apart it’s not so bad next time around.
I don't think an extender will really be of much use according to the Mr 12 Volt support page:

...Unplug the FO cable from the P2000, insert the SD card with the MCU update file into the SD slot under the FO socket. Unplug the power cable from the P2000, and plug the power cable back in again. A blue light will start flashing in the LVDS socket (right next to power cable socket). The flashing should not take longer than 1 minute. After the flashing is completed, REMOVE the SD card first, then unplug the power cable and plug the power cable back in again. Plug in FO cable. Check the MCU file date in P2000 > Setting > System

So basically , it seems that the USB cable coming out of the box is purely as a USB power supply and it has no potential data function? That feels like a missed opportunity. It would've been good to plug a usb stick in the extender and to be able to flash the box by disconnecting/reconnecting the car battery.

Locating the MMI box in the glovebox feels like a bad idea as the digital cable would likely get damaged from opening, closing and putting other things in the box. I wonder if I could instead fit it in the armrest somehow whilst still having room for my phone there? I have a useless old iPhone tray taking up space. I guess the firmware updates don't happen very often so maybe dismantling the glovebox is the simplest option?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 10:08 AM   #31
Hejnfelt
Private
Estonia
Rep

I don't understand why you need a wired connection... The unit should have wiress android auto.

Locating the unit behind the HVAC panel works really well.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 10:32 AM   #32
JiveTalker
Jive Talker Bristol
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand why you need a wired connection... The unit should have wiress android auto.

Locating the unit behind the HVAC panel works really well.
I keep reading contradictory information about the product, probably based on previous hardware and previous Android Auto versions. I just wanted confirmation that I don't need a wired connection. It doesn't help that even Mr 12 Volt gives false information about the product because they can't be bothered to update any of the manuals to match the current product.

Last edited by JiveTalker; 08-27-2023 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 01:34 PM   #33
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTalker View Post
That looks cool. My Mr12Volt box was brand new this month so I guess I can't change the splash and system access images then?

Do you know of any reason to need a wired data connection to an Android phone?
You should be able too..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 04:22 PM   #34
Hejnfelt
Private
Estonia
Rep

To try and be helpful, follow this guide to remove the HVAC panel and just be very careful of every step and you'll be fine.

Check out B21's build thread where he shows how to mount the Mr12Volt behind the HVAC panel. It's so much simpler than the glove box.

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic...85213#p1985213

The USB cable - afaik - is for a thumb drive should you want to watch movies or something else on the unit.

On topic of the gear knob you have to yank on it straight up. It is retained with plastic clips that are quite tight (for good reason) but it comes off if you yank real hard on it upwards. Just make sure any wires are disconnected first
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 04:59 PM   #35
B21
Captain
Rep

USB cable is really useful if you are apple as it gives you much better audio quality and keeps the phone charge state where it is…ie it doesn’t charge it but it doesn’t go flat either..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 05:26 PM   #36
JiveTalker
Jive Talker Bristol
Rep

Installation almost complete - :happyanim:

Quote:
To try and be helpful, follow this guide to remove the HVAC panel and just be very careful of every step and you'll be fine.

Check out B21's build thread where he shows how to mount the Mr12Volt behind the HVAC panel. It's so much simpler than the glove box.

The USB cable - afaik - is for a thumb drive should you want to watch movies or something else on the unit.

On topic of the gear knob you have to yank on it straight up. It is retained with plastic clips that are quite tight (for good reason) but it comes off if you yank real hard on it upwards. Just make sure any wires are disconnected first
Almost everything is back together now and it has only taken 11 days! It got too dark to completely finish.

As I'd already followed Dave's instructions to remove the glovebox I decided to put the MMI box in there so it will be easy to access if I need to do an update. I hardly ever use the glovebox except for storing a few CDs. I will use Gorilla tape to stick the box to the roof of the glovebox to avoid wires getting disturbed.

I have a mystery in that I have a wire dangling down in the passenger footwell. I've no idea where it was supposed to connect and don't relish removing the glovebox again to try to figure out where it should go. It appears to be a light for the passenger foot well. Any ideas where that is supposed to plug in? Hopefully it will become apparent in daylight.

Everything is working well, except when I asked Google to open Spotify and play Bohemian Rhapsody it played Mamma Mia instead!

There was no need to remove the gear knob. All the panels came off fine with it still in place.

I played a couple of videos from a USB stick. It just plays them in alphabetical order. There is no selection option, you just have to skip until you find what you want. The manual claims it also displays JPG, BMP, GIF and PNG images but it just ignored them all. Maybe there is another option somewhere that I haven't spotted yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 03:18 AM   #37
B21
Captain
Rep

If you have extended lighting then each plastic panel under the dash above your feet has a small oblong white lighting unit…

Also there is a Bluetooth aerial and an emergency speaker cable on the drivers side…on RHD cars..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 05:11 AM   #38
JiveTalker
Jive Talker Bristol
Rep

Question After refitting giovebox,where to connect the passenger footlight cable to

Quote:
If you have extended lighting then each plastic panel under the dash above your feet has a small oblong white lighting unit…

Also there is a Bluetooth aerial and an emergency speaker cable on the drivers side…on RHD cars..
As far as I know, I just have standard lighting. I took another look this morning and still can't see an obvious spot to plug the cable in. Perhaps it is connected behind the glove box?

I've attached a picture. The unconnected cable is highlighted. Does anybody know where it connects to?

On a different note, I noticed this morning that my passenger mat was wet. When I shut and locked the doors the windows had not gone up. I tried opening and closing them this morning with and without the engine on but there was no change, they were still slightly open. I then fully opened them all from the door switch and then fully closed them from the same switch and everything returned to normal. Is this just likely to be a confused mode setting caused by the battery being disconnected yesterday while the doors were both open? If so, I won't need to worry about it happening again without me noticing.

Thanks again to everybody for helping me. I am a complete noobie at this and am very pleased to have achieved this upgrade.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 08:21 AM   #39
B21
Captain
Rep

The windows can get confused so if it’s reset itself it’s probably ok..

Often the harnesses have some of the wiring for options not fitted to the car…looks like the type of connector for a lighting circuit…
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 03:48 PM   #40
JiveTalker
Jive Talker Bristol
Rep

Question Footwell light cable attaches where?

Quote:
Often the harnesses have some of the wiring for options not fitted to the car…looks like the type of connector for a lighting circuit…
It isn't part of the harness. I just hooked the cable up there out of the way. Yes, it is the cable for the footwell light but I don't know where it connects to. I guess I must've unplugged it when removing the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 08:36 PM   #41
Jakeinaka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i

Quote:
Yes no problem
I just read that Bimmercode cannot change VO, I do not have CD changer or prep
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 01:21 AM   #42
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeinaka View Post
I just read that Bimmercode cannot change VO, I do not have CD changer or prep
If you can find it, you'll need BMW Tools package then (Includes INPA, NCSExpert etc). Then using NCSExpert you can add 672 to the VO for CAS, NFRM and CIC.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 06:37 PM   #43
Jakeinaka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i

Has anyone tried the latest grey Mr12volt box? It seems it uses the quad lock unlike the blue box?
This is the only one listed for CIC
https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...ts/p2000-cicmm
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 02:47 AM   #44
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeinaka View Post
Has anyone tried the latest grey Mr12volt box? It seems it uses the quad lock unlike the blue box?
This is the only one listed for CIC
https://www.mr12volt.com/collections...ts/p2000-cicmm
I’m just fitting one now…will be ready to test in about 5 days time..
Appreciate 0