New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Anyone else w/ 'DME-turbocharger, boost pressure too low' (Code: 0030FF)

The yellow CEL came out and I got it checked w/ the code reader, which resulted in the above line. Any ideas what this means? The car still runs good and I haven't (knock wood) had the CEL pop up again.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Possible turbo/vacuum leak, failing turbo. Monitor it.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Damn...what's the best/worst case scenario? Bring My Wallet indeed.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Damn...what's the best/worst case scenario? Bring My Wallet indeed.
Give us more details such as mileage, aftermarket parts, tunes/stock, years etc. Otherwise that code might be anything and any guess here wont be rally helpful
      08-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhagursoy View Post
Give us more details such as mileage, aftermarket parts, tunes/stock, years etc. Otherwise that code might be anything and any guess here wont be rally helpful
Ok, tx in advance.

2011 Z4 35i
160,000kms/99,000miles
BONE STOCK
2 years ago replaced HPFP/sparkplugs/fuel injector
recently replaced oil pan gasket
did emissions recall software recently
I usually don't go above 3K rpms much, drive it decently, some spirited runs but I noticed that the CEL first came on when I was hovering for a few minutes at 5K rpms, still, I didn't go crazy driving it. Engine should be able to take that, it's not made out of tofu, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #6
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ok, tx in advance.

2011 Z4 35i
160,000kms/99,000miles
BONE STOCK
2 years ago replaced HPFP/sparkplugs/fuel injector
recently replaced oil pan gasket
did emissions recall software recently
I usually don't go above 3K rpms much, drive it decently, some spirited runs but I noticed that the CEL first came on when I was hovering for a few minutes at 5K rpms, still, I didn't go crazy driving it. Engine should be able to take that, it's not made out of tofu, right?
30FF is an annoying code until you find what it is. In my case it was after market dual cones intake. Most of the time it is vacuum lines. People usually replace them with after market more reliable ones. It can also be charge pipe or turbos need to be replaced.
For your case I wouldn't worry about it since it doesn't pop up again. Couple years ago it popped up for me after I was stuck in the traffic for 3-4 hours and didn't see it after I cleared the code.
As of right now all you can do is just wait and see some signs of failing.
For that mileage I would start worrying about turbos, but we have seen 160k miles stock turbos so do not go just replace the turbos lol.

While you are waiting you can take some logs and post here so we can see how your engine performs. Good luck!
      08-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
30FF is an annoying code until you find what it is. In my case it was after market dual cones intake. Most of the time it is vacuum lines. People usually replace them with after market more reliable ones. It can also be charge pipe or turbos need to be replaced.
For your case I wouldn't worry about it since it doesn't pop up again. Couple years ago it popped up for me after I was stuck in the traffic for 3-4 hours and didn't see it after I cleared the code.
For that mileage I would start worrying about turbos, but we have seen 160k miles stock turbos so do not go just replace the turbos lol.

While you are waiting you can take some logs and post here so we can see how your engine performs. Good luck!
Thanks for your comment. So it could be nothing or it could be as worse as replacing the whole turbo sys? How much would that cost, intake/vacuum lines/whole turbo?

Did it have anything to do w/ my spirited driving? I usually don't drive my car hard but found it coincidental that when I was, this code came out. I don't even think my turbos are worked as hard as the avg driver since I don't usually push it/abuse the engine...I dunno.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #8
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility
Quote:

Thanks for your comment. So it could be nothing or it could be as worse as replacing the whole turbo sys? How much would that cost, intake/vacuum lines/whole turbo?

Did it have anything to do w/ my spirited driving? I usually don't drive my car hard but found it coincidental that when I was, this code came out. I don't even think my turbos are worked as hard as the avg driver since I don't usually push it/abuse the engine...I dunno.
Once again, I do not really recommend you taking any action as of right now. But replacing vacuum lines would cost you max $100.

For turbo parts; around $1500-$1600 and installation would cost you $1000 at indy ( I do not know how much dealer would charge.) Turbo replacement is worse case senerio for this code but it is not the case most of the time.

If I were you I would definitely push it up to 6k rpm in 1st/2nd and 3rd gear to see if the code comes back, otherwise you will worry about it and won?t enjoy the car
      08-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #9
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

I got that message near the end of a track day a while back. I ordered some 3.5mm ID silicone vacuum hose and replaced almost all of the lines. I got 5' of it which isn't quite enough; I'd recommend getting 10 so you have extra. I spent just $12 for the 5'. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even before I replaced the hose the code cleared itself and didn't return though, so I can't say for certain replacing the hose got rid of the cause... I guess I'll find out the next time I go to a track day.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ok, let's hope it's just a hose prb. Since you tracked it, you definitely pushed it harder than me. Here's hoping.
Appreciate 0