New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Regional Forums > UK

09-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
vpatel27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i 2009

Unhappy Cracked 296 Alloy

Hi everyone

Newbie and first post

I bought my E89 6 months ago and already the run flats and alloys are doing my nut in.

I have 19" 296 alloys, the rear driver side got a crack in it a few months ago (whilst I was on the motorway), caught it early and renowned welder in the area fixed it for me.
Then a few days ago the same alloy has cracked again but just along the rim from the previous fix. Its being welded again.

But I have not been over any potholes, haven't kerbed it or any other kind of impact, and actually have been driving pretty slow over the weekend as was I was in small towns where can't speed.

So I have been reading that there has been a problem with these alloys and even Watchdog got involved, and apparently BMW redesigned these alloys in 2011.

I was just wondering if anyone as any experience or information on any of this before I go contacting BMW?

I am seriously thinking of buying some other alloys and maybe coming off run flats too.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

296 cracking is widely known. I've had 3 go and I replaced them all in the end with 313's and non run flat tyres to help soften the blow to the wheels. Do a search on the internet and you'll find loads of stories.

If the car isn't that old or still under warranty, go to your dealer and see if they'll help replace them.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

The 225M on the 3 series E90/1/2/3 were awful - the 313M's I had on my later 330d LCI E92 were fine.

My 35iS had 326M's which though can crack seem to be more reliable than the 296's which do have it seems almost as bad a reputation as the 225's.

This all said I have found out the previous owner to me had one 326 replaced on my car due to cracking before I had it.

BMW need to either get/make better wheels, reduce sizes or dump their run flat policy.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
vpatel27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i 2009

I emailed BMW and they basically said this

I appreciate that you have carried out some research on the Internet and Watchdog. Whilst this can be a useful tool, it does not always provide a true representation of the facts to hand. BMW UK collates failure reports, part order information and customer feedback, to determine if there is an inherent failure with a specific component, such as, alloy wheels. I have checked our records and found that the issue, you mention with your particular wheels, has not been highlighted as a defect.

Its only one alloy that is causing me issues, the guy who fixed it for me told me that the alloy has also had a bad refurb job done on it. I only bought the car 6 months ago its a 2009.

I have bought some new alloys and will take off my run flats I think.

Any opinions on what tyres...I am thinking of sticking with Pirelli
Appreciate 0