New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

iPhone 3G compatibility

Hi All,

Everything is running smoothly with my new Z4 (awesome car!) except for getting my iPhone syncing properly. There's no problems with the bluetooth connection and I can make and receive calls no problem. It's the music side of things where it doesn't work.

Basically, if I plug it into the USB port in the central armrest it doesn't register. Upon further inspection on the web it looks like I either need the click-in iPhone dock or a specific Y-cable (6FL).

The questions is, should I have received this Y-cable with the car? I'd like to know before going to my dealer, just in case they tell me otherwise.

I did buy a cheap, "basic looking" y-cable from Amazon and it still doesn't work (although with my iPod nano it plays music I cannot use iDrive to select tracks. Very strange).

If anyone can help in this matter, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks,
JJ.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
zedfive
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.5si

Y cable is an accessory
it's optional
y-cable from Amazon is not compatible with iPhone 3G

only BMW cable fit 100%
with BMW cable you can play your music on idrive
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
JJ_Wonderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedfive View Post
Y cable is an accessory
it's optional
y-cable from Amazon is not compatible with iPhone 3G

only BMW cable fit 100%
with BMW cable you can play your music on idrive
Thanks for the info. Looks like it's a trip to the dealers then...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Niels
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '85 Citroën 2CV / '09 BMW Z4

You know what the stupid part of the iPhone story is?

You can't use your iPhone via bluetooth AND via the adapter-cable to use it as both telephone and music player... This so totally s*cks!

Anyway, that's what the dealer told me. They haven't had any adapter-cables in stock, so I could try it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
nonsns3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Type R, Wrangler

I think that is an issue with the iPhone's bluetooth profile. It cannot play music via bluetooth. The new Z4 can accept bluetooth music. Hopefully the new iPhone update will give it this functionality.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels View Post

You can't use your iPhone via bluetooth AND via the adapter-cable to use it as both telephone and music player... This so totally s*cks!

Anyway, that's what the dealer told me. They haven't had any adapter-cables in stock, so I could try it.
I do this in my 135i (without iDrive) and it works fine. Bluetooth for phone functions such as voice and contacts and the cable for the iPod features. This is the first generation iPhone.

Considering that bluetooth can be susceptible to interference, I wouldn't really want my music playing over it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Niels
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '85 Citroën 2CV / '09 BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Wonderboy View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like it's a trip to the dealers then...
It seems that the snap-in adapter does allow you to make calls and play music. It seems that my dealer gave me wrong information.

I've found this info on the BMW USA website: "This adapter is for vehicles equipped with the BMW Assist system with Bluetooth wireless technology and Smart Phone Integration. The smart phone option not only charges the phone, but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored ont the phone. Also provides a connection to the roof mounted telephone antenna on your car for improved cellular reception. The adapter also provides a safe and secure place to dock your Smart Phone while driving and will charge your phone battery when the vehicle is running."

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #8
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsns3 View Post
The new Z4 can accept bluetooth music.
How???

And the whole y-cable thing comes because apple does not allow for music signals to be transferred to the USB port. It incisist on transferring it over an auxillary cable (hence the Y- cable)
      06-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
patrice03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z23 318d f30

have been using the Y cable in different models and configuration (w/o idrive)and works fine; so imagine will operate smoolthy on my z4, well; at least on IPODs, for my 1st gneration iphone; the music plays smootlhy; however, the battery of iphone does not load when connected while ipod does.. weird
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

Assuming that you have the iPod connection option the y-cable will work fine. Just look at the USB connection and make sure it has the audio port connection next to it (1/16" microphone plug I believe). If you only have the USB connection you don't have the iPod connectivity option.

I also agree that there is no option for music over bluetooth, just phone/address book features.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
DrJason
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels View Post

I was told by the dealer that this is depended on which iPhone you have, the 3G and 3GS can be used both as a music player and connect via BT for phone calls and will switch off the music if a call comes in......I have a 3GS and it works flawlessly.....only problem I have is that it is a pain in the ass to have to plug in and unplug the iPhone every time I get in and out of the car so I plan on getting a cheap nano that I will leave plugged in all the time
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
uslic001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 s35i Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsns3 View Post
I think that is an issue with the iPhone's bluetooth profile. It cannot play music via bluetooth. The new Z4 can accept bluetooth music. Hopefully the new iPhone update will give it this functionality.
I have bluetooth headphones that allow me to listen to my IPhone 3GS music, so the IPhone is able to do this. It is the BMW radio that will not allow you to access your music via bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
viccesar
Registered
Rep
Drives: z423i

Hi DrJason,

I also have the snap-in option and the 3Gs but i´m not getting acess to the iphone songs. Can you give me a help? Are you acessing in the setup panel via USB or AUX in? My USB doas´t recognize the iphone. There is oen thing strange, if iºm playing a song in the phone, when i snap it in, it will mute, but no sound in the car. A messege also apear saying that that isn´t the correct cable. Doas it happen to you too?

Tks in advance,
César
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
DrJason
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccesar View Post
Hi DrJason,

I also have the snap-in option and the 3Gs but i´m not getting acess to the iphone songs. Can you give me a help? Are you acessing in the setup panel via USB or AUX in? My USB doas´t recognize the iphone. There is oen thing strange, if iºm playing a song in the phone, when i snap it in, it will mute, but no sound in the car. A messege also apear saying that that isn´t the correct cable. Doas it happen to you too?

Tks in advance,
César
I don't have the smartphone kit with the snap-in cradle.

I was using the iPod Y-cable the plugs into the USB port and AUX in jack. I think I would get a error message that "this accessory isn't compatible" but I just ignored that and it would work fine.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
rasputin
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

does the Y cable charge the iphone as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
DrJason
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
I stopped using it and got a cheap iPod Nano to just leave plugged in 24/7.....however, I seem to remember that it did not charge the iPhone but also did not discharge it either
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
Yes, but I heard only the older iPhone and 3g, not the 3gs.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
Last I heard the iPhone had to have version 3.1 to allow charging and other features together. I also beloeve that iPhone supports A2DP which should allow music over bluetooth.

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #19
HK bimmer
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccesar View Post
I also have the snap-in option and the 3Gs but i´m not getting acess to the iphone songs. Can you give me a help? Are you acessing in the setup panel via USB or AUX in? My USB doas´t recognize the iphone. ......
I have the same problem. The snap-in cradle only charges the iphone, but I can't listen to the music via the iDrive. Should I look for the function at the AUX-in page?

Any expert can help?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #20
dszpiro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240iX

Garage List
2022 BMW 330iX  [0.00]
2022 BMW M240iX  [0.00]
My dealer informed me that my iPhone could not simultaneously be used as a music player via the Y-cable in the arm rest and maintain the Bluetooth telephone connection. To be honest, I never tried attaching my #gS iPhone into the cable to find out.

Like a previous poster, I, too, simply left my iPod permanently inserted into the Y-cable in the arm rest and didn't both trying to attach my iPhone. Personally, I think this is easier and faster than fishing out my iPhone, plugging it in, and then having to remember to take it our of the arm rest when I park the car. The current set-up requires no extra work on my part: just get in and drive.

Cheers,
Danny

BMW #9: 2022 M240ix (Dec 2021)
BMW #8: 2022 330iX (Dec 2021)
Past: 320iX, M550iX, M235iX, 335iX, two Z4, 540i
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #21
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

If you want to use both - mobile phone features _and_ the mobile phone's media player features - you should have ordered "extended connection of music player in mobile phone" (6NF, € 100,00 in 2010 price list).

Otherwise you have only one feature at the time - mobile phone (snap in) _or_ media player features (if you have ordered the Ipod/USB-Port with y-cable).

Best regards

Mick

Edit: See BMW's explanations...

Last edited by Mick70; 11-30-2009 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: BMW original pdf found
Appreciate 0