New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
dazman23
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Upgrading the Hi Fi Professional 14 speaker system

Hello all,

Just took delivery of a Deep Sea Blue sDrive 35i.
I was changing over from a Lexus IS 250 so quite a change!

Biggest thing that is bothering me however is the sound.
I opted for the Hi-Fi Professional and it just doesn't compare to previous systems I've owned. The Mark Levinson Lexus system was much better.
I've had Alpine systems in the past as well.
Perhaps it's cabin acoustics related or maybe the system is just not that great.

I've been reading the forums quite a bit and I decided to take line level subwoofer signals and feed them into a line-level converter then into a JL Audio 10w6v2 + 500/1 amp.
Bass now is remarkably better however it does expose the mid and upper range flaws.

I am now considering a full front stage upgrade, replacing the kick panel/door and tweeters.

Anyone successfully upgrade their hi-fi pro system?

I've seen the Audison Bit One used on the forums but I think the example here was for the standard system.

I've also been reading about the mobridge DA 2000 - apparently that can accept digital signals (saves having to use the high level amp outputs)
I don't think the item is available in Australia (yet) so I am curious to see if any overseas owners can comment on suitability for the z4 e89.

I'm currently tossing up Morel/Dynaudio and Focal for my fronts.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, for those that have upgraded the system, would you replace the front and rear centre channels or simply disconnect them if the L/R speakers are upgraded?

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0