New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
hskode
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space grey Sdrive 30i

Replace sport steering wheel with m-sport wheel?

Is it possible to replace sport steering wheel with paddle shifters with M-sport steering wheel in 35is? Has anyone tried this?
I checked from realoem that airbag unit and paddle shifters are common. Hence, only the wheel and the multi function switch module need to be replaced. My sport steering wheel is too thin for my hand and I think i need a better grip.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Z4@Phuket
Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [8.00]
2004 BMW 525i  [0.00]
I am thinking about this small grip too,
but the other inexpensive way is find a good leather shop and cover one extra layer of leather , stitch in Tri-color M style
      12-13-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Sujit: Have dug into this a bit and believe trying to swap steering wheels lands you in deep kimchi (or whatever is the smelly national dish in Thailand). Talked with a really good tuner shop in Tampa where the owner has himself put an M3 digital steering wheel into his heavily modded M5 ... and they won't touch it: airbags, etc.

There's another thread somewhere where the guy found some alcantara with foam backing and had a leather shop do his wheel with good result. Seem to recall he paid around $200 USC plus the material, but that's obviously a function of where you are.

I'd love to put an M3 steering wheel on my Z4, but it looks like it really is in the 'too hard' category.

(Still wearing those great tee-shirts with pride. Again great thanks.)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
hskode
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The wheel on 35is has exactly same functionality as the one in other e89 models, right? Then, swapping the steering wheel and the multi function part with this 35is version will be that difficult?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskode View Post
The wheel on 35is has exactly same functionality as the one in other e89 models, right? Then, swapping the steering wheel and the multi function part with this 35is version will be that difficult?
It should fit as a direct bolt on as long as the car being installed to is a DCT car because the 35is steering wheel is designed for DCT functionality.
      12-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
hskode
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
It should fit as a direct bolt on as long as the car being installed to is a DCT car because the 35is steering wheel is designed for DCT functionality.
That's a good point. Thanks. My car has standard AT so it may be difficult..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Well actually, comparing the "M sport' steering wheel on the 35is with the the Standard E89 DCT steering wheel, the standard aluminum trim looks better! The only thing about the M sport that is "kinda cool" is the little M badge...

12-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
hskode
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Yes, both look beautiful. My only complaint is the thickness and sleek nature of the leather used. If I can get the alcantera job done like in the picture, it'd be a perfect solution.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Of course you can. The dealer told me i could upgrade to alcantara leather the interior for a fee if i want.
      12-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
hskode
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Do you mean BMW dealer can replace the wheel with alcantera wheel? Like the BMW performance steering wheel? Or just replace the cover with the alcantera skin?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskode View Post
Do you mean BMW dealer can replace the wheel with alcantera wheel? Like the BMW performance steering wheel? Or just replace the cover with the alcantera skin?
When my car came i was telling the dealer how i changed my mind and regreting not getting the red leather interior (i got the black instead). He told me that we can change the interior at any time choosing any color or leather type (nappa, alcantara). Of course we were talking about a replace of the covers since replacing the seats and all would be really expensive and dumb IMHO. I remember asking him if the outcome and quality is gonna be "factory like" and he said ofcourse. If your dealer cant do it then go the leather shop route. If things dont turn out as i want them and wont get another car by mid summer, im gonna go for it.

Last edited by Constant.S; 12-13-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
Z4@Phuket
Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [8.00]
2004 BMW 525i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Sujit: Have dug into this a bit and believe trying to swap steering wheels lands you in deep kimchi (or whatever is the smelly national dish in Thailand). ...(Still wearing those great tee-shirts with pride. Again great thanks.)
I am so glad that you like those shirts
BTW "Kimchi" is Korean and Japanese food. in Thailand the most world famous dush call "TOM YUM KUNG" spicy prawn soup, you can find this dish in every Thai restaurant around the world

I agree with Constant that Sport wheel looks better than M wheel with silver trim
you can find a small ///M logo to stick on it (Ebay)

Sport sterring wheel for 23i 30i and 35i share the same part, DCT is not the matter, if you have paddle shift
Attached Images

Last edited by Z4@Phuket; 12-13-2010 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #13
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I like more the look of the Sport wheel with Al of the Z35i but the feel of the M Wheel is far better... I had the BMW Performance wheel on my E93 and since have a hard time adjusting to the thinner wheel grip...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I don't know what the fascination is with the ///M Badge. When I drove my M3 and saw a Z8, Z3 and or a Z4 I always considered each and everyone as part of the ///M family. Often we exchanged a Hello (hand wave or tip on the hat) it was always nice to see one, since it was not that often. I often said to myself I might get myself one someday. And I did

It is by chance that I found a set of wheels for my winter set that are ///M replicas. Somehow now each time I get into my Z4 I am reminded of my M3 I traveled nearly 70,000 KM in her. My M3 keychain I still have (I just could not hand it over with my M3 when I sold it), it has been with me coast to coast along some very memorable highways. So to me my Z4 is only 33 HP short of my then 333 HP M3. As far as I am concerned for now the 300 HP are just fine thank you, after all there is no Autobahn in North America.

Perhaps some day when I return to Europe I might just get myself something faster.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-01-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0