New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #23
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

If you intend to keep either of the two in the long run personally I would opt for an M roadster, especially since you already had your time in the 335xi I would seek for a new experience with the s54. If modding and milking every possible hp out is more important to you then congrats on your new e89 but give the dct a fair chance on your test drives, it's really brilliant on every occasion be it track or daily commute.

@nicknaz : Nick do you mind mentioning your rear toe settings please? Sorry for the ot guys.

Hamann Anniversary EVO 19'' wheels for sale : http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270728
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #24
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
I assume the z4 n54 motor is just as modable as the 135/335 and should be able to get into the mid 11s in the 1/4 mile (just using that as a benchmark as I know approximately how fast that is) ?

Tune+DCI+DP+Exhaust and possible meth?
For better or worse, yes. As Nick pointed out, the fuel system is the Achilles heel on the N54. On the other hand, all it takes is DPs ($1,000), FMIC ($1,000), Cobb ($850), and filter/intake ($100), to turn it into a very fast car on the street.

Add $3,000 more for a good suspension (KW v3) and an LSD, and the car will essentially have M-car performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
I think manual is what I will want as I will have the auto x5m.
I understand that desire. In that case, I would highly recommend a 35i with the M Sport package. With all due respect to the non-M Sport guys, I think the M Sport front and rear bumpers transform the car. And the M Sport steering wheel feels amazing.

I generally don't like "///M" crap all over non-M cars. Right now I have a 328d loaner from the dealer with M Sport wheels, M Sport steering wheel, etc. and it's just stupid. But on the Z4, especially an FBO Z4, it doesn't seem out of place.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #25
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
@nicknaz : Nick do you mind mentioning your rear toe settings please? Sorry for the ot guys.
rear has 0.12 degrees toe

Previous rear settings were -2.1 degrees camber, 0.18 degrees toe. I changed to -1.6 degrees camber and 0.12 degrees toe to try and free up the rear of the car a little more, and it seems to be a decent setting (the rear can be adjusted with the throttle a bit better). I have been thinking about going back to -2.1 degrees camber and 0.05 degrees rear toe but have been struggling to get a good baseline due to limp mode/oil temps

(FWIW front is -0.9 degrees camber and 0.14 degrees toe)

Sorry all for the OT
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 04:00 AM   #26
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Thanks, Nick.

Hamann Anniversary EVO 19'' wheels for sale : http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270728
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 04:47 AM   #27
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

I had a 3.0SI and then I had Z4MR....right now I have BRZ, but thinking about SDrive28i. The BRZ is rather slow car just like your 2.5i... while it feels great in the canyons...it's not impressive otherwise. There are still a few good points with the BRZ...but there are also known issues that took a while to fix like 2nd gear shift.

The M is amazing above 4K PRM...but it's worse than the 3.0SI at low speed. The M also had the second gear issue that took forever to figure out...to my displeasure to have 2 cars back to back with 2nd gear shifting issues. The 3.0SI was perfect.

Unless you track your car...the M is okay...but for DD... it was getting old on me after 3 years. I heard DCT was really nice...I've been less active on this forum...so if DCT is still working well...get E89. The M coupe will hold it's value and probably go higher years down the line...but for daily drive...I take E89 platform... it's a very pretty car...just wish BWM stop feeding new models with more weight/size.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #28
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
I heard DCT was really nice...I've been less active on this forum...so if DCT is still working well...get E89. The M coupe will hold it's value and probably go higher years down the line...but for daily drive...I take E89 platform... it's a very pretty car...just wish BWM stop feeding new models with more weight/size.
Seems like with the DCT the only thing is to keep an eye out for leaks.

So far so good, no issues...

Agreed DCT / 35i car is a great daily and NOT great for track due to limp mode. aftermarket help needed
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #29
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Seems like with the DCT the only thing is to keep an eye out for leaks.

So far so good, no issues...

Agreed DCT / 35i car is a great daily and NOT great for track due to limp mode. aftermarket help needed
I think you'll find it with the BMS oil thermostat. Installed it last weekend. I can't get the oil temps above 215 during daily use. When I flogged the car hard, it rose to 230, then fell back down to 220 very quickly. Combine that with the 1M radiator fan and I bet the car would tolerate the track much, much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
I think you'll find it with the BMS oil thermostat. Installed it last weekend. I can't get the oil temps above 215 during daily use. When I flogged the car hard, it rose to 230, then fell back down to 220 very quickly. Combine that with the 1M radiator fan and I bet the car would tolerate the track much, much better.
That sounds great. I'd love to check your car out. I would caution on making a final call until you take it to the track on an 80F day... I can't get more than +15F on the street either but in 2-3 laps at buttownwillow CCW 13 last time I got the limp mode.....

I'm 11months away from lease end, and honestly, I've made up my mind to start with a better platform, so I'm not planning to mod at this point...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:24 AM   #31
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Having just found this part of the forum after years of BMW's ... For what it is worth I had a Z4M Roadster in the UK and hated the gearbox. It lasted 9 months - but then I was driving it in traffic a lot and that ruined the fun. Given the opportunity to hammer it the car was great ! I have moved to a Z4 35is and the difference is huge !!

The 35is is quicker, easier to drive and better made. It is easier to tune as has been mentioned and in the UK can be taken to 402bhp with a remap. The exhaust is awesome too. Far better than the 35i but in no way intrusive.

I loved the looks of my Z4M in blue and the engine ... but not the driving experience due to the box.

The only downside I see the the 35iS is the weight. The car feels heavy and more of a cruiser than the Z4M R.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #32
shlai
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 3.5i DCT

I had a used 2004 2.5i with BBS RC, one of the lightest wheels. Drove for nearly 5 years before switching to a used 2010 3.5i DCT a year ago. First impression: My new Z was not as agile but the car seems more stable on road imperfection. Suspension is softer and ride height seems taller. It is definitely much more powerful and require a different handling skill especially on the gas or otherwise become shaky as the car tends to stay in low gear. I change the runflat to michelin pss. Not much help. Then, I use ESS ECU Stage 2 tuning. Cannot feel much different. Then I change the 19" 296 wheel to Advan RSII. The agility comes back to like the old z4. The factory wheels are just too heavy and its momentum actually fight against when auto shift to lower gear. The lighter wheels make this all go away. I start to drive fast. For my old Z4, I get used to force the auto to manual shift. This does not work out for DCT. Although BMW says DCT is fast, it is actually very slow when the RPM is not high. The computer seems to need time to analyse and get more data before deciding whether it is appropriate to shift up. I change my habit and put the gear to S, i.e. automatic sport mode gear shifting when I need sudden power. This works much better because I let the computer decide wholly. I drive 1/2 time faster than on my old Z4. I later make more step up to change to KW V3. I now drive one time faster, doubling the speed than on my old Z4. I take over most car on street. It is now truly a sport car, a king on street.
Appreciate 0