New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Question Does going to wider tires affect the traction control?

I am looking at using some Michelin PSS or Bridgestone RE-11 in the following size: F: 235/35/19 and R: 275/35/19 on my e89 Z4.

Would the slightly extra height of the rubber and thus different revs per min of the wheel be enough to trigger the traction control to brake the car uncontrollably / intermittently even though I am keeping to the same aspect ratio. I wonder this because I heard the ECU in BMWs is very finely calibrated - IS there a MINIMUM % of tire diameter I need to keep within before the TC is triggered?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
I'm sure that's with-in the range of our finely calibrated and finicky ECU. Many forum members are running that set up in summer, me included. Without noticeable difference coming from the Traction control.

I can't say more since I don't have evidence to back it up, my opinion is that the TC works independent from the tire size, better question is would there be more wheel spin with the new set up. if the wheel spins under stress, TC will start doing its thing.
      12-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
BuckarooVT90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Traction control uses wheel speed sensors at each wheel. This allows the computer to detect wheelspin or loss of traction. Depending on how the algorithm is set up it will compare all 4 wheel speeds together or per axle to determine slippage and then decide to either apply brakes to the fast spinning wheel or reduce trottle or both. Since we have RWD only vehicles then the per axle compare makes sense... since they are the same diameter on the rears you should be fine.

Stability control works differently since it also utilizes yaw sensors.
Appreciate 0