New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Autoblog Article (and reaction)

Wondering if anyone else saw this yesterday?

I did, and it annoyed me, so I figured what better place to rant about why than here! Sorry, slow Thursday. Anway...

Right off the bat, they get the price wrong. Like, really wrong. They're quoting the 2014is they drove at an "estimated" $83,000. I don't know if someone over there forgot to convert Euros to Dollars, but sister, that dog don't hunt. If you build a 2014is on bmwusa right now, and tick off ALL of the MOST expensive options (interior, wheels, packages) and then add in $700 for an Individual contrasting roof (which isn't an option on the site but is an option and is $700) you top out at $75,500. Thats quite a bit south of $83k, and is still a few grand over the as-built price of my currently-on-order 2014is.

This nostalgic tendency of the press to lament the loss of a traditionally manual is dying a slow death, but it is dying. They don't typically mention it anymore when testing a new Ferrari or McLaren, that attitude will eventually trickle down to more models/marques, c'est la vie.

I'm absolutely fine with healthy criticism/perspective into a car's driving benefits, and it's faults. Even if most of the driving public won't ever push a particular car to the limit, it's good knowledge to have and certainly interesting. What starts to bug me are phrases like "a really nice lifestyle/reward car, with not much else going on." I'm sure more than one person on this forum would argue there's some great stuff going on under the hood of our cars.

Where I get ultimately buggered though, and this is due to (recent) personal experience, is this idea that "For the money, you coulda bought a Boxster" or general Boxster-comparisons. Let's make it crystal clear: The Z4 and the Boxster are very different cars. Both are great, and they're great for much different reasons, but they are not the same car. Because of that, they're also not the same price.

The notion that the Z4 and Boxster are the same price is ludicrous. In comparison shopping, a similarly equipped Boxster (similar to the IS I have on order) is - ready - TWENTY (that's $20) THOUSAND dollars more. $20k more, similar stuff - and someone could argue better stuff, that's fine - but buying a Porsche is like eating at Gibson's here in Chicago: you get the steak, but if you want potatoes, you're gonna pay. That also does not include any maintenance, you have to purchase the/a maintenance plan from Porsche if you want them to service it, or pay out of pocket as-you-go. Want to add, I'm also not complaining about Porsche's pricing, I have 0 problem with it, but it is NOT the same as BMW's, and the cars themselves are subsequently not the same.

Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a BMW instead of a Porsche? Because, for me, the BMW is a damn fine car, and at a decent price with a lot of peace-of-mind. While Autoblog's writers are complaining about vague steering while wringing the car out as hard as they can at the track, I'll be carving the Tail or the cliffs of northern Michigan with a sh*t eating grin on my face from ear-to-ear.

That is all.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
+1. I have zero difficulties passing boxsters on the track with "a really nice lifestyle/reward car, with not much else going on." just pointing it out here.

I like the boxster. especially the new one, but the soft top steered me away without looking back. the new Cayman is also really really nice. but not 20k nicer than the beast we drive. I settled the case for myself long ago.
      05-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Simple ignorance. I would say "to each his own", but the man got facts incorrect. No excuse for that. And OP, congratulations on your order of the IS!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I thought it was a pretty balanced review. My take away is that the author thought it was

+ good looking car
+ fun
+ decent engine power and torque
+ DCT is 'sweet' in sportiest mode
- Porsche is the better 'track star'
- 500lb overweight
- no LSD available

Sounds about right to me

Also, I just configured a '14 z4 35is with no options and it was $65k msrp, $64k zag price, and '13 Boxster S with PDK, sport chrono, xenons and it was $68k msrp, $64k zag price.. so it is definitely similar in my eyes

EDIT: ZAG purports to pre-negotiate prices for consumers and is supposedly representative of a slightly better than average deal in the current market based on truecar data
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Yes congratz, and thanks for the link.

It seems they have changed the price to 75,000 now?

They conclude: "The absence of an M edition of the Z4 has been rather conspicuous, but perhaps that's because BMW's engineers know the platform isn't up to the job. This one's for sunny-day happy time cruising only... with style. "

If something isn't up for the job it is those Potenza RFTs! You can always complain about the electric steering and DCT, but the P-cars also have those now.

The car weighs less than an M3 convertible, and about the same as an M3 coupe. It has 49:51 weight distribution, and the frame is stiffer than in the old Z4 M roadster. And if they can replace the steering and engine in a 5-series to make an M5 why not in a Z4?

Compared to the old Z4 there is nothing wrong with this platform. Also it is arguably much more fun on over-steer than any mid-engined entry-level P car out there. I bet they didn't even drive the Z4 with DSC=off for this review.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 05-17-2013 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Also it is arguably .... mid-engined entry-level P car
while we are arguing, might as well throw in bench racing

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...3-class-page-5

1M 3:06.6
35is 3:10.4
Cayman R 3:03.9 (0.1s faster than last year's Boxster Spyder)

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the 35is had the same tires as the 1M and if they tested Boxster S or Cayman S instead of Boxster Spyder and Cayman R

My speculation is the 35is would narrow the gap with the 1M but both would trail the p cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
while we are arguing, might as well throw in bench racing

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...3-class-page-5

1M 3:06.6
35is 3:10.4
Cayman R 3:03.9 (0.1s faster than last year's Boxster Spyder)

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the 35is had the same tires as the 1M and if they tested Boxster S or Cayman S instead of Boxster Spyder and Cayman R

My speculation is the 35is would narrow the gap with the 1M but both would trail the p cars.
Totally agree. And the main point for me is that in the video reviews of the P-cars against the 1M and Z4 where the DSC is turned off, you will see the P-car spin out again and again. While it might corner faster due to its lower weight (which also sits lower in height) you cannot measure the fun factor which is lost due to its heavy behind.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Paul S
Rep
Drives: 35i M sport

We went to look at the Porker (and Merc SLK 55AMG) before choosing the Z4. The Boxster driving experience seemed a little dull, as was the interior and we really didn't like the look of the new hood arrangement. (For those that don't know, on the new model, to save weight/cost, the fabric hood has no cover when open, it justs sits there, looking like there's something missing with the struts on show and no doubt getting very dirty over time.) Not a look I wanted to spend money on. Especially as it's now reported that Porsche make over £13,000/$20,000 profit per car! As for the SLK, well the small rear windows don't open fully, with a few inches sticking out of the bodywork. Very untidy and leaves you wondering what else wasn't designed properly. Certainly the seating wasn't as my other half couldn't comfortably reach the kick-down point on the gas pedal! No such issues on the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also, I just configured a '14 z4 35is with no options and it was $65k msrp, $64k zag price, and '13 Boxster S with PDK, sport chrono, xenons and it was $68k msrp, $64k zag price.. so it is definitely similar in my eyes
Nick, don't completely disagree with your assessment of balance when speaking only about the car in the article, everything you noted is in fact true.

However, don't agree with your pricing assessment. Thing about the IS is that most of the 'packages' and 'options' from the 28 and 35 are standard on the IS. If you add things like the tech and cold weather packages, you get a pretty loaded car. Start adding the standard IS thing, or as close as similarly possible, on the P-configurator (two-tone leather interior, PDK, metallic paint, hi-fi, etc), and watch happens to the price - not to mention things like heated seats, steering wheel, nav, and so on. Point being, a base IS has more standard features and refinements than a base Boxster S, not to mention an included four-year maintenance plan (no comment on what you get, but the fact is it does come w/ the car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill View Post
Simple ignorance. I would say "to each his own", but the man got facts incorrect. No excuse for that. And OP, congratulations on your order of the IS!
Thanks very much! My car is currently getting it's panels bolted on in the body shop, I expect it to be in paint either later today or Monday latest. Should finish up the build on Tuesday!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
Point being, a base IS has more standard features and refinements than a base Boxster S, not to mention an included four-year maintenance plan (no comment on what you get, but the fact is it does come w/ the car).
Yes, agreed. Porsche really hits the wallet hard. I find it tough to criticize Porsche solely on price since I've driven a number of them and I truly do see the value

Whether or not I would spend my own dollars to get one is another story because the upcoming C7 Corvette looks to be quite the track missile in its own right and is even more of a value relative to the mid engined p cars...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Yes, agreed. Porsche really hits the wallet hard. I find it tough to criticize Porsche solely on price since I've driven a number of them and I truly do see the value

Whether or not I would spend my own dollars to get one is another story because the upcoming C7 Corvette looks to be quite the track missile in its own right and is even more of a value relative to the mid engined p cars...
Corvettes have super engines but lack so much in refinement (at least they have in the past - maybe the C7 will have a decent interior).

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Def not criticizing either, as I mentioned, have 0 problem w. Porsche's pricing. Just pointing out the difference between BMW and Porsche in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Corvettes have super engines but lack so much in refinement (at least they have in the past - maybe the C7 will have a decent interior).
C7 pics look pretty sweet.. "competition seats" look to have huge bolstering. Guess we'll see when it is finally released

Re the refinement.. E89 has a lot of road noise and the interior (at least my black / aluminum interior anyway) isn't THAT amazing so I guess I'm willing to give it a chance...
Appreciate 0