New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
JavierBayArea
Rep
Drives: sdrive35i

Automatic Trunk pinched 7 fingers

Just a heads up.

My car battery was pretty much dead and i wanted to open the trunk to charge it, i pushed the trunk open button from inside the car and it unlocked, i went to open it and the BMW handle wouldn't open it, so i put my fingers at the edge to push up and the motors started closing it and pinched 7 of my fingers. They were caught really hard and one of them got pinched so bad i lost some sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Sorry to hear about that. Hope you are ok. I got pinched as well when I first got the car and wasn't used to the automatic closing.

You can use the terminals in the engine compartment to jump start or trickle charge the car. My understanding is you attach red positive alligator clip to red positive spot (rear engine bay) and negative alligator clip to a nut on the chassis. You don't need to access the battery directly
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
fisherman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Sorry to hear about that. Hope you are ok. I got pinched as well when I first got the car and wasn't used to the automatic closing.

You can use the terminals in the engine compartment to jump start or trickle charge the car. My understanding is you attach red positive alligator clip to red positive spot (rear engine bay) and negative alligator clip to a nut on the chassis. You don't need to access the battery directly
This is true...i lay the car up for the winter and use a trickle charger to keep the battery charged. Very easy to do when you only need to access the engine compartment.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
JavierBayArea
Rep
Drives: sdrive35i

yeah that's what i ended up doing after icing my hands.

It's really messed up and i almost panicked, the trunk has a lot of force.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

I bet that scared the crud out of you. Good lesson for tohers to pay attn too. Jump the car or charge from the hood. Pretty easy and safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Not just the battery going, I also trapped my fingers! The boot had not closed properly so I put my fingers into the gap to lift it back up, but then it reversed the self close feature and trapped my fingers, managed to drag them out, but four fingers badly bruised around the nails,,,,, ouch
Was there a lesson in this??? Yes ! I hate self close boots and doors,
For those in the UK who remember "open all hours" with Ronnie Barker and David Jason, then you will remember the bloody Till Drawer which did it's best to trap their fingers!!!! Lol
Appreciate 0