New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
cakePlease
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Do i have BMW Apps option

Hello, i want to be able to connect my Pandora radio station to my 2011 Z4, but do not see this option anywhere... Anyone know how i can find out if i have this option?

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...rive.aspx#apps

http://content.bmwusa.com/microsite/...ingStarted.pdf

• Model Year 2011 (or later) BMW automobile equipped with BMW Apps option (SA6NR).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Use google to search for 'BMW VIN ru' and use that site, with your cars VIN to see the options on your car.

You will also need a specific MEDIA phone adaptor in the armrest to access APPS.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
USB cable should be enough... Media adapter is not necessary (for example, there is none for iPad, but you can still run Apps through that).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

You can either use AUX or USB to hear the music through your speakers (that is what I do in my non iDrive car) but you can't control using the steering wheel controls
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
You can either use AUX or USB to hear the music through your speakers (that is what I do in my non iDrive car) but you can't control using the steering wheel controls
I am pretty sure you can use the steering wheel controls ... I have to admit I don't use it all that often (I have an iPad, my wife has an iPhone 5 for which there isn't a console adapter yet) but will give this a try. Oh, and I really only used the BMW Apps app (international radio and RSS feeds) and not Pandora yet in the car (not sure if your comment was about Pandora specifically or BMW App in general).

Not sure if sw version and/or model year makes a difference. Well, sw version probably does.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

1. plug your phone into the usb port
2. open pandora on your phone. the car will take over the phone and you will see something like this

3. press radio on the center console
4.select pandora on the list

you can change next song on the steering wheel. you can also select different stations on your pandora by using the knob in the center console. this require you to leave the screen unlock on your phone. the moment you unlock it, it will disable the app. using this method, it will display the artwork as well. unfortunately i cant snap a picture because it will stop playing music and pandora disappears.

this is how it looks like when i use a second route by going to cd/multimedia and select external devices

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
ErikJ
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Similar to Spotify experience

Works pretty well if you start it from the phone. You can swithch songs from the i-drive, radio or steering wheel. Unfortunatly the artworks seems to stop after a while.
Just controling it from the phone is too dangerous however and defeats the i-drive functionality.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
I am pretty sure you can use the steering wheel controls ... I have to admit I don't use it all that often (I have an iPad, my wife has an iPhone 5 for which there isn't a console adapter yet) but will give this a try. Oh, and I really only used the BMW Apps app (international radio and RSS feeds) and not Pandora yet in the car (not sure if your comment was about Pandora specifically or BMW App in general).

Not sure if sw version and/or model year makes a difference. Well, sw version probably does.
Sorry, I think I misunderstood your original question. Yes if your car has BMW Apps then you can control Pandora through the idrive controller and steering wheel controls.

If you see "BMW Connected Drive" on the main menu of the iDrive then the car has BMW Apps option.

Hoa's post is right on and you can access the Pandora through the "Radio" button (similar to how you access the "Web Radio" portion of BMW Connected Drive App).

You have to go to your phone to switch between BMW Connected Drive App and the Pandora because unfortunately Pandora is not integrated the way the RSS feeds and Web Radio are.

One last thing to check is whether you have Pandora updated to the latest version.
Appreciate 0