New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Eff'n Paypal....

.....actually didn't screw me over! I sold something on eBay, sent it USPS w/delivery confirmation. As per the conf. #, it delivered in 2 days. 4 days after, the buyer opened a non-receipt case via eBay, claiming he didn't receive it, and asking for the tracking number. I provided it to him again, and the next day, he said he didn't get it, and asked me to send him a replacement.

Since it was just under $50, insurance w/Priority Mail is free, so I explained that I needed him to go to his local PO and check with them to see if they had an explanation, and get a case number, and when he did, I'd be more than happy to send him another, provided a) he covered 1/2 the shipping (I sent the first item w/free shipping and felt we should both bear the cost of shipping this time around) and b) he'd have to sign for the package. No response. TWO WEEKS LATER, he again asked me if I sent him a replacement. I re-iterated the terms once again (all of this was done through eBay messaging so there would be a verifiable record of the conversation, BTW), and asked him if he agreed. No response. A week later, he filed a dispute w/his CC company, which led to a Paypal dispute and them pulling the funds from my account until it was resolved. Nice. That $ was as good as gone :-\

During a chargeback dispute, you're supposed to make your case to PP, who then makes the case to the CC company on your behalf to determine the veracity of the claim. I advised them to check the commentary on the eBay dispute to show that I attempted to act in good faith. That was 3 weeks ago. Today I was notified via email of the following:

"As you know, we were recently notified that one of your buyers filed a
chargeback with their card issuer. One of the unique benefits of using
PayPal is that we help you fight unwarranted chargebacks and attempt to recover your funds.

Usually the funds associated with a chargeback are temporarily held until
the card issuer makes its decision.

Because you followed the guidelines of the seller protection policy,
though, PayPal will cover the amount of the chargeback. "

Checked my PP account, and the funds were released.

I can honestly say it surprised the sh*t out of me. As a seller, when there's a claim, chances of you getting the shaft are 99%.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-28-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
The good thing is that you did it the right way. Conversations saved on a verifiable source, where they could see what the terms were, etc... That's what helped you out. Some buyers looking to screw sellers over will attempt to do e-mails and phone calls that can't be proven or just faked. Good work
      10-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

People are scum what else can you say. Before ebay and Paypal a buddy of mine ran his own online business selling car parts. He did not stock many parts but work with the manufacturers to drop ship for him. After a few years he shut it down because of what you went through. He would get large orders only to have the person file a CC claim against him and since he was small the CC company would always take the buyers side so the CC would refuse to pay him. It got to the point it was costing him too much to keep the business going.

Like your case he usually had proof of delivery but that did not seem to matter and the person making the claim would deny it. Also they usually would wait a period of time before making a claim, I think with time people would forget.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Surprising. Many years back when I was a poor college kid I sold some stuff to a guy for $1500 and he pulled a charge back and they ripped it out of my account. That one stung...
Appreciate 0